This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Stargate Universe What's next?

What would you ladies and gentlemen, reckon if there is new stargate series after SGU(I hope), do you reckon it would be a great idea to tell how the stargate began? What I mean is, tell it during the time of the ancients. Good idea or what?

The writers hate prequels. Never going to happen. If SGU ends any time soon though, I don't expect any new Stargate for a long time, if ever.

Comment

Mooooar sgu!
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Anybody know why SGU the complete first season on blu ray is no where to be found? Release date is today but no one has it except amazon?

Comment

I would love to see a series about life on Earth after the Stargate program is made public. The fighting that ensues, the international teams and the advance in technology. I always pictured the last scene of the last Stargate show depicting the "big reveal" but maybe there could be a tie-in with SGU somehow.

Another idea would be a series where Earth is destroyed or at least badly damaged and focuses on the military responses from off-world sites. First priority of surviving the attacks, then recovering and responding to the threat.

I bet neither of ideas would generate the ratings needed to survive but I would enjoy them.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that Stargate will go into hibernatiob after SGU is finished especially if it ends this season
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd have to agree. SGU would need to reach Battlestar Galactica ratings to justify another spin-off, especially with SyFy seemingly enjoying splitting airtime between wrestling and low budget movies.

Comment

I hope there's nothing after sgu
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I agree with PA. I can't imagine wanting to go on another foray into stargate. Let's just leave it at this one.
                  no means no, and so does pepper spray
                  Sig by The Carpenter
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't really get what you mean. If you don't want another foray into Stargate, then you don't have to, but why would you want them to stop making it? What about everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      I don't really get what you mean. If you don't want another foray into Stargate, then you don't have to, but why would you want them to stop making it? What about everyone else?
                      Exactly. It's not like people are going to be forced to watch if they don't want to.

Comment

Personally i would love SGU you to carry on. Once it has eventually finished i don't see where it can go from there. I wouldn't want a prequel.
                        I guess once SGU is finished they should concentrate on 1 big movie. Tieing them all into each other somehow. I'm not sure, i just don't want it to go on forever and lose the Stargate(ness)? Out of it.

Comment

You know... I think Star Trek has made people greedy...

There was a time when ONE show was enough. A second was down right amazing. Now it's not enough unless the franchise lives forever...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
                            What would you ladies and gentlemen, reckon if there is new stargate series after SGU(I hope), do you reckon it would be a great idea to tell how the stargate began? What I mean is, tell it during the time of the ancients. Good idea or what?
                            Aren't you jumping the gun a bit, eh? There was no talk of Atlantis until SG-1's sixth season. There was no talk of Universe until Atlantis's... what, fourth or fifth season? The production team doesn't want to work on two shows simultaneously again which is why Atlantis was cancelled to make room for Universe. My point is, Universe is a new show. We're only two episodes into the second season. Wait till the show has had a good run and starts to wind down before asking questions about a fourth SG series. For that matter, why assume there will be another SG snow? I never thought SG-1 would get a spinoff. I always assumed that the show would either get cancelled or end with a series finale. It never occured to me there would be SG-1 movies and spinoff shows. The same goes for Atlantis. How do you top the recovery of the last great city of the Ancients, the builders of the Stargates? I figured that when Atlantis ended, the city would fly home, the SGC would go public, and... the end... with a movie, hopefully. Now we've got a third series. Really, I'm not expecting a fourth series. It's up to MGM/Syfy and the production team. If they want to do a fourth series, we'll see one. If not, then when Universe ends, Stargate ends... at least as a TV series anyway. My point is, just enjoy the second season of Universe. If you don't like the show, find something else to watch or read some books.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              You know... I think Star Trek has made people greedy...
                              I think Stargate fans have assumed that SG-1 should get a bunch of spinoffs, thinking of it as the new Star Trek. It's not so much greed, but rather an expectation and viewership loyalty. Why worry about finding something else to watch when you know that if Stargate ends, they'll just make a new SG show? Star Trek and Stargate have parallels. Here's how I see it...

STAR TREK
                              The original show was a 1960's masterpiece, but it was cancelled after three seasons. Some call it a failure, but let's be honest. A lot of the quicky shows from the 1960's has a short run. Due to syndication ratings, the show was going to return with most of the actors/characters on a new five-year-mission. Due to the success of Star Wars, Paramount pushed for a feature film that became a film series. The Voyage Home's success lead to The Next Generation. There was little competition in syndication and with other science-fiction programming, so the show was an instant success. It was the same premise as the original show, only set a century later on a new Enterprise with new characters and a budget that could actually do the show justice. This lead to two spin-off shows: Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Neither were anywhere near as successful as TNG, but both shows lasted just as long (7 years). TNG being as big as the original also had it's own film series. Rather than bring VOY back for an eighth season, the producers wanted to do a prequel show. They got bored with TNG-era "24th century" Star Trek. People bash Enterprise, because it wasn't birth of the Federation. The show was never going to be that, it was just going to be Star Trek in the 22nd century. The show was a dismal failure in ratings, but not because of quality, though that is debatable. TNG was a big deal when it premiered as was DS9, largely because TNG was still on the air. Due to both being syndicated, they could be aired back-to-back at night. VOY was a big deal, because it was on a new network, so it got a lot of media attention. When ENT came along, UPN was a dieing network, and the show got little promotion. Most people I know didn't know there was a new show, they thought Voyager's finale was the end of Star Trek on TV. A lot of fans didn't discover the show until after it ended. Granted, those would be casual fans who don't constantly check out the websites and forums. There should have been a pause between VOY and ENT. Wait two or three years, take the time to do the show right. After a few years, people would be excited for a new show. In the end, it was a good show. Two years of episodic adventures, a year-long storyline about saving the Earth from paranoid aliens, and then a year of two and three-parters that forshadowed the Federation.

STARGATE
                              If anything, the parallels play out like this... SG-1=TNG, ATL=DS9, UNI=VOY. Why? SG-1 was hugely popular, just like TNG, only with a smaller cable audience. ATL was set on a far away outpost, was a direct spinoff, and aired on the same night as it's parent show. There's a DS9 parallel there. UNI and VOY are both shows about a crew of people on a ship isolated far from home. The premises are different, but again... there's a parallel. Honestly, I think the production team will have creative burnout after UNI. Modern Star Trek lasted four shows. Stargate's put out three. Universe could be the end of the road, folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X