Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you love most about stargate compared to other series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you love most about stargate compared to other series?

Well just wondering what people's favourite things are about the stargate series.

Mine personally I love it how in stargate (sg1 and atlantis) it's like the episodes they continue eachother but at the same time they don't. most episodes on tv shows continue straight after something has happened but in sg1 and atlantis they do something and then continue the story line of that plot a season or so later examples being

episode 2010 and episode 2001

then the episodes about ascension they don't tell us everything about it all at once they say it slowly through out the series and still it is a mystery to us in some aspects.

the series just has a great way to have a main plot and then all these little plots that make it so the show never gets boring.

I also love the Humour I don't think any other series has the same Humour as stargate has.

and the actors through out the whole season they had great acting season one of sg1 the acting was a little wierd but if I remember correctly that is how shows were back in those years

It just has the right doses of action, humor, techno-babble, sci-fi, and uhh... more action.

Comment

Hm.... what else is on? Grey's Anatomy, CSI, Law & Order, The View, Degrassi, 90210, Reality Shows, Home Decorating Shows, The News, Censored Movies, crappy cartoons and RE RUNS!

SG stands out from the rest because it was different. It was different from Star Trek (for a long time) and people couldn't even make fun of the fans because there was no slang or stereotypes associated with being a star gate fan

The fact that SG1 went 10 seasons when it was originally slated to end at 7 while managing a spin off (SGA) was impressive as well. Star gate was the last franchise to dominate the Direct 2 DVD market b4 it went away, and maybe 2 more coming? Along with SGU, SG now stands as possibly the best ever Sci Fi TV franchise ever, better then Trek.
      They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

I like military sci-fi, so yeah, I like Stargate
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I've always been interested in astronomy, Egyptian history, military. So SG-1 was perfect for me. Loved the characters, humor, adventure. Now I love everything in the SG-verse. I can't even name it right now, but Stargate isn't like other series.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
            I like military sci-fi, so yeah, I like Stargate
            Ditto.

The humour, however, annoys me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              Ditto.

The humour, however, annoys me.
              the over the top campy stuff didn't really do it for me but I like my humor on the dark side, rather than the rimshot variety. I found a lot of the same sort of dark humor in B5 as well. Probably why I liked that too
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                the over the top campy stuff didn't really do it for me but I like my humor on the dark side, rather than the rimshot variety. I found a lot of the same sort of dark humor in B5 as well. Probably why I liked that too
                Ok. Seriously. Run away with me to Vegas now?

I totally agree. I like the sort of humour in my military sci fi that you really do get in the military, and SGU has been SPOT ON for that, as was a lot (though not all) of SG1's early days. And you know, military humour is often dark.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I liked it because SG1/SGA was actually about science fiction and not just another space opera.

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm a big sci-fi fan, so I always watched the various Trek series, Babylon 5, BSG (old-school and new-school, baby, 'cause that's how I roll), Farscape, Firefly, etc. You name it, I've watched and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I guess one thing that sets SG-1, SGA and SGU apart is the contemporary setting, which is cool (although Farscape also had a contemporary setting, we just didn't see that much of it).

I was also really drawn in by the Egyptian mythology in the original movie and first series.
                    sigpic
                    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Probably that it's set now, but it still secret, unlike in the Dr Who verse. Entirely contemporary characters.

Comment

Well there is this big metal ring that look really cool, that i don't see on other shows for some reason.
                        Currently sad about SGU's cancellation, trying to do the best i can to save the franchise

Comment

I love military sci fi. The "Plausible Deny-ability" is awesome. I always thought about the possibility of Ancient Mythology being remnants of true stories passed down from generation to generation.

I always asked myself the question..."What if these things I am reading in children's books are real? What if the accounts we read about in biblical texts were in fact "actual accounts' of the things that took place waaay back when?"

and I'm like where did I come from? It seems at least plausible to me that there was some sort of seeding involved or "divine intervention" from an extraterrestrial race of some sort or another.

And here was a show that brought it all to me just like I imagined it. Okay so I wasn't the only one...

I like the distinct flavors and tonalities of the SG1, SGA, and SGU.

Took me a while to digest SGU (and accept). But then I thought about it after finishing the fist season, and decided to write it all down in long hand like I do to make sense of things.

SG1 = first contact continued from the Original film. Basically the film opened up so many possibilities which could only be told through an ongoing and endless series.

Note= the fact that SG1 is meticulously formulaic and unrelentingly repetitive reminded me of BCT. Getting up at 4am for personal hygiene, chow, and a lot of marching over and over again. BCT was like being in a time dilation field, meaning a week felt like a month.

SG1 was totally military straight up and down.

SGA = First civilian controlled base. Civilian scientist have more and greater say in what goes on at Atlantis. The SGC is there for back up only.

There was also a more female centric feel to Stargate Atlantis as in Dr. Weir being in civilian command of Atlantis. Plus Tayla the strong warrior princess type character.

Still its pretty regimented and contrasted by the appropriate back-up of Shepard (Military) who is definitely a leading guy; just not on SGA

In SGA we get to see the tensions that might arise when you stick Military subordinate to Civilians on a base in the Stargate world.

The look and feel of this show was appealing to me and I can describe it as a weird mix of grit & polish, like somebody tried to buff a pearl with sandpaper.

Not at all to its detriment, but SGA's lighting was higher key and the colors more saturated. At times it reminded me of a stage at an opera or rock concert; especially when Tyla broke out in song over a dying elderly woman as the the base was about to be destroyed, and Shepard is heading up evacuations.

SGU= After the habituation to the other 2, and some indigestion at the drastic change in visual and overall aesthetic pallet it took me a while to get it through my system. I loved the new look and feel but somehow it took me a while to connect it to "Stargate World". It was like I wasn't watching stargarte anymore, but rather law & order, greys anatomy, csi, and jumble of other styles all rolled into one. I looked great but it shocked me.

UNTIL... I had time to put it into perspective.

On the other shows there was a base and a gate and even if there was a ship that could allow travel between world without the use of a gate things seemed a bit more controllable (albeit contrived and impossible), yet still insanely plausible within the realm of plot.

Now, in the new show you've got a bunch of pissed off people with limited supplies stuck together on a runaway starship they don't really know how to control. You've got Military and Civilian crew cut off from everything, in places that can only be visited from earth with an 8th chevron encoded (I think). It was Claustrophobic from the start. From the camera work, to the acting, the lighting, and the writing.

Its like they are starting all over again waaay waaaay out, without a Cheyenne Mountain base to call home and no earth to go to. They really got more than they bargained for.

---ted
                          "I'm a writer dammit and I am not gonna take no for an answer"
                          D.I.

Comment

Originally posted by ted leski View Post
                            I love military sci fi. The "Plausible Deny-ability" is awesome. I always thought about the possibility of Ancient Mythology being remnants of true stories passed down from generation to generation.

I always asked myself the question..."What if these things I am reading in children's books are real? What if the accounts we read about in biblical texts were in fact "actual accounts' of the things that took place waaay back when?"

and I'm like where did I come from? It seems at least plausible to me that there was some sort of seeding involved or "divine intervention" from an extraterrestrial race of some sort or another.

And here was a show that brought it all to me just like I imagined it. Okay so I wasn't the only one...

I like the distinct flavors and tonalities of the SG1, SGA, and SGU.

Took me a while to digest SGU (and accept). But then I thought about it after finishing the fist season, and decided to write it all down in long hand like I do to make sense of things.

SG1 = first contact continued from the Original film. Basically the film opened up so many possibilities which could only be told through an ongoing and endless series.

Note= the fact that SG1 is meticulously formulaic and unrelentingly repetitive reminded me of BCT. Getting up at 4am for personal hygiene, chow, and a lot of marching over and over again. BCT was like being in a time dilation field, meaning a week felt like a month.

SG1 was totally military straight up and down.

SGA = First civilian controlled base. Civilian scientist have more and greater say in what goes on at Atlantis. The SGC is there for back up only.

There was also a more female centric feel to Stargate Atlantis as in Dr. Weir being in civilian command of Atlantis. Plus Tayla the strong warrior princess type character.

Still its pretty regimented and contrasted by the appropriate back-up of Shepard (Military) who is definitely a leading guy; just not on SGA

In SGA we get to see the tensions that might arise when you stick Military subordinate to Civilians on a base in the Stargate world.

The look and feel of this show was appealing to me and I can describe it as a weird mix of grit & polish, like somebody tried to buff a pearl with sandpaper.

Not at all to its detriment, but SGA's lighting was higher key and the colors more saturated. At times it reminded me of a stage at an opera or rock concert; especially when Tyla broke out in song over a dying elderly woman as the the base was about to be destroyed, and Shepard is heading up evacuations.

SGU= After the habituation to the other 2, and some indigestion at the drastic change in visual and overall aesthetic pallet it took me a while to get it through my system. I loved the new look and feel but somehow it took me a while to connect it to "Stargate World". It was like I wasn't watching stargarte anymore, but rather law & order, greys anatomy, csi, and jumble of other styles all rolled into one. I looked great but it shocked me.

UNTIL... I had time to put it into perspective.

On the other shows there was a base and a gate and even if there was a ship that could allow travel between world without the use of a gate things seemed a bit more controllable (albeit contrived and impossible), yet still insanely plausible within the realm of plot.

Now, in the new show you've got a bunch of pissed off people with limited supplies stuck together on a runaway starship they don't really know how to control. You've got Military and Civilian crew cut off from everything, in places that can only be visited from earth with an 8th chevron encoded (I think). It was Claustrophobic from the start. From the camera work, to the acting, the lighting, and the writing.

Its like they are starting all over again waaay waaaay out, without a Cheyenne Mountain base to call home and no earth to go to. They really got more than they bargained for.

---ted
                            I partly agree with the SGU comment though I wish they actually stepped through the gate more often and I wish more stuff happened when they were on some planet though I have hopes that all that will come

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
                              I partly agree with the SGU comment though I wish they actually stepped through the gate more often and I wish more stuff happened when they were on some planet though I have hopes that all that will come
                              I think the reason they can't step through he gate that often is because of power consumption issues (or at least that used to be the case in the first season).

Now they are just too busy fighting amongst themselves and there is no real organization or infrastructure other than an endless string of unknowns, and they have no real stable base of control.

I would love to see an alliance step into the picture. Did the Asgard and all of their technology die off? Or are they just too far apart to notice.

Is the SGC really out of the loop? Maybe they could relay a message to an alliance somewhere and at least put out an alert?

I suspect that there might be too much inner ship civil war going on to hash all that out. Until they get it together and they can establish infrastructure and build I don't see them getting up a Charlie Base anytime soon. Which means Primal, impressionistic, melodramatic film-making. It feels a little like LOST; but that's cool, because the show is still establishing getting legs.
                              "I'm a writer dammit and I am not gonna take no for an answer"
                              D.I.

Comment

Working...
                              X