Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Missed the first couple of mins of this ep(Sky reminder didn't work!). Presume I didn't miss much. First thing I saw was Scott and Greer getting off the bus.

2. Very much SGU's Changeling(and it was much more like Changeling than The Real World) and not what I was expecting but generally liked the hallucination roles.

3. Chloe pulling that stunt - realistic for her character and...can any of us garuntee we wouldn't do similar?

4. Half-Blue Chloe! Woah!

5. Interesting reaction from Young.

Decent ep but not awesome.
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
      1. Missed the first couple of mins of this ep(Sky reminder didn't work!). Presume I didn't miss much. First thing I saw was Scott and Greer getting off the bus.
      Then you missed basically nothing. Just a line from Scott about being home.

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I screen captured this whole episode and ran it through Final Cut Pro. I edited all the wedding and small town flashback stuff down and watched it again.

The result:

It was 10 minutes shorter and I enjoyed watching the whole thing through in one sitting.
        "I'm a writer dammit and I am not gonna take no for an answer"
        D.I.

Comment

Just watched the DVD extra of the car stunt and the way the guy gets hit is unbelievable. It absolutely smashes into him and looks much worse than on the show, I can't believe he walked away from that!

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            Just watched the DVD extra of the car stunt and the way the guy gets hit is unbelievable. It absolutely smashes into him and looks much worse than on the show, I can't believe he walked away from that!
            Yea, I wouldn't have gotten up from that! Stunt people sure know their stuff, or just crazy!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ted leski View Post
              ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I screen captured this whole episode and ran it through Final Cut Pro. I edited all the wedding and small town flashback stuff down and watched it again.

The result:

It was 10 minutes shorter and I enjoyed watching the whole thing through in one sitting.
              The real reason you did this: have too much time on your hands...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                I watched that too, it was really scary, I thought it looked more real on that than the episode too!

I almost had a real life moment of getting a guy with my car who walked out in front of me from the other side of the road a couple of weeks back, he just didn't look to see what was coming, I'd slowed right down as I'd seen he wasn't looking. The weird thing was this happened in the street that runs parallel to the street they filmed that scene on! Seriously, people don't look where they are going in Cloverdale in real life!!

Comment

I bet it was weird watching that episode with familiar streets if only a few signs changed.

A decent episode but not a brilliant one. I liked Rush as the Justice of the Peace best.

Chloe was irresponsible but I do hope Eli will finally get over her and start looking for a girl who appreciates him.
                  sigpic

Comment

This is clearly one of it's more extravagant affairs, you know the ones that involve a town, alternate reality or any differentiation thereof. Unfortunately they seem to have taken a bit too much inspiration from "Flashes Before Your Eyes" and "Happily Ever After" as much of this episode seems to tread the line featuring alternate representations, people who are close to Scott and connections relevant to the real world. For instance; you have the newfound love interest Chloe playing as the person he wants to dearly marry, thus representing the desires that Scott has, you have Young playing Scott's dad, a metaphor as to how close he's been to him, you have Rush playing the justice of the law which reflects on her newfound connection to Chloe since he's mainly involved in their affairs and you even have other characters like Eli playing the friend and Greer playing the nice guy.

This also involves Scott in a way and Scott has always been one of the weaker characters for me, while many say that his purpose is to evolve like Young; there is nothing he says that grabs me in and nothing he does shows his unique personality. Yelling into a camera in "Time" and shaping up people to be who they are does not count. This is evident here as while it does show his homeboyish personality, it doesn't show much more than that as Scott plays the generic role of a guy in love who wants everything to go right and he further ruins it by including smaltzy cheesy lines and overdoing it on certain aspects such as the reaction and the interaction. Simply put it felt like I was watching a B-Grade romantic movie. The only thing that really showed anything was his speech about having a family and being a caring father but this just made me think; whatever happened to his son, am I the only guy who liked him being a defining part of his character?

The scenes on Earth fare no better either, everything about it seems overdramatic and overdone; while this is a extravagant episode as I said before, the monsters, the dark moody setting, the music all serve to get in the way. It has the ingredients such as Young in a command position and seeds for the future but this extravagant stuff gets in the way preventing them from utilizing their skills to get us into the action. They should know by now that certain things don't need to be extravagant, if everything is extravagant than it just suggests a lack of skill mainly because they're believing that everything needs to be a certain way rather than going outside of the box and experimenting.

I don't know what meaning to decipher from this episode, some say that it's about Scott waking up from his idealized world of his, that he needs to focus himself for the future or else he'll die, some just enjoy it because of it's premise which has been done time and again in Stargate and which fans love. ("Vegas") The fact that they were unable to provide a deeper meaning to this episode really hurts it and I can only guess what it's all about, maybe this is Scott's world, maybe this is a fantasy dream for him but I don't know, I don't know if he wants to live happily ever after by marrying Chloe or I don't know if the pact of marriage is the death knell for his character. One funny thing about this episode is how the character says something like "You are going to die" and than follows it up with, "We're all going to die, we all have to die someday, death is an eventual part of us." a bait and switch which I find as something which serves the general public while adding a sense of cleverness.

Also it's always a nice touch whenever somebody adds their production companies logos to the proceedings, sure beats having nothing or a generic logo doesn't it?
                    Back from the grave.

Comment

I'm stick of saying good episode, I'll just say it's an average episode.

It was cool seeing Louie being a little more Louie, but still being Young. Also, Rush was a little less of an ass.

Tomorrow, now something's wrong with Young.
                      sigpic

Comment

It was really weird coming home from work in Cloverdale today and sitting down to watch 'Cloverdale' with the street I drive along every day! Unfortunately it's reality for me, I don't wake up, I still end up going to work there five days a week!

This is my favourite 'hallucination' Stargate episode after SG-1's 'The Changeling'. Another great wander through a character's perception of those around him as they hover close to death. It's just fun to see all the characters behaving differently, put in a totally different setting, yet sort of being themselves.

Scott managed to look so sick and confused, even made me feel ill along with him! Loved the idea of the way he became infected being shown in a 'movie.' Those plants looked so deceptively beautiful with those ripples of colour on being touched, luring their prey of course, nice effect.

Greer with the flamethrower was one of the highlights, along with using the Stargate as a way of fending off those vicious plants.

It was an odd thing seeing Rush actually getting off Destiny and being quite helpful and concerned!

The DVD extra of the making of 'Cloverdale' shows how the stunt of Scott being hit by the car was done. It looked a lot more painful and realistic than the actual scene in the episode!

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Telford seemed particularly wierd here...

2. Greer was enjoying himself in both realities.

3. No I didn't miss much in the first couple of minutes.

OK ep to rewatch.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Average ep.

I enjoyed the real stuff the most. I liked the connections between what was happening in real life and what was happening in Scotts dream. Like when they were at the cinema and the triffids appeared on the movie.

Scott flirting with his ex at his bucks night. Wonder if he would do that in real life.

The part where Chloe looked half blue was cool.
                            sigpic

Comment

I find this episode interesting because it shows an outlook into how Scott thinks. In that regard I like how Scott views the people he is associated with. Some are interesting like Eli being the annoying brother-in-law that Scott tolerates. Others are obvious like Chloe being Scott's "true love" and Young being Scott's father. I can see how Scott would Young as the father figure given how Scott looks up to Young. Others are just insane to me. Rush being a Justice of the Peace just seems weird and I can not possible string them together. For some reason I find Broody as the owner of a popular restaurant most likely due to his still on Destiny. Like I said it is interesting to how Scott views these people on Destiny. Now about the real world. Well the real world in the context of SGU. Not much happens outside Scott fantasy with two exceptions. First Greer's dedication. It just sounds like something Greer would do but the baracad and flamethrowers Greer creates in this episode is just awesome. We once again get to see how creative he can be when it comes to military stragety. Next is Chloe and being injected with Blues genetic material. I thought the writers where going to go longer with no one knowing Chloe is diseasd instead of writing it in so soon. I remember thinking the arc where Chloe is locked in a room went on for too long and got dull. So I kind of wonder of using Chloe's infected blood was used too soon as a solution for this story. It just came too soon and I think closed the door for storytelling. With the exception of that minor criticism Cloverdale is a great episode. But then again its SGU. Great episodes are their standard
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I think there has been too many "hallucinations"-episodes.
                                And this wasn't really a comedy ep, was it? It reminded me of Vegas (and I didn't like it)

"Oh Chloe is an alien, let's use that, in some good way?" I can easily imagine the writers panicking, with all the "To be decided later" plots that came up in the end of season one...

Greer was cool though

Oh, and they actually USED the stargate in this ep ...
                                Last edited by Cluas; 03 March 2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: to add

Comment

Working...
                                X