This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midweek, another ep of SGU:

1. Rush is being rediculously petty here but "murderer" suggests he deliberately killed Riley which he obviously didn't.

2. The holograms or whatever did allow us to get to know the guy better.

3. Flipping hell - the GW Podcast for this season is actually starting to talk about the Rewatch!

4. Forgot that things with Telford were still interesting.

Things were getting interesting...
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

This episode is definitely suggestful of the rising quality of Season 2. There's definitely something going on in both the situation, the progression and the characters. This is our first sights of Rush trying to take over the ship and learn to control it by himself; the struggle that he's in is amazing, he's basically trying to prove himself in front of the two people who are either Destiny's AI or his mental state and every action that he does, every word that he says is basically human. He's trying to keep it all in check, making sure that nothing goes wrong but of course as this episode proves, he can't do it on his own as his attempts to correct it fail and Rush's attempts to keep quiet about the fact that the consequences were his is nice character growth.

Speaking of which, the ship crashing definitely provided some tensity and that moment provided some especially good special effects and a situation which people talk about even today. It also leads for one of the greatest moments for Riley who really conveys being trapped in a ship with excellence; you can definitely hear a person who knows his fate, who tries to compensate the situation with the faintest sense of hope but ultimately understands that there's no way out and that blows out anybody in the water. Including Young... Speaking of which, his acting is the reason why his death is so powerful, it gave people a reason to care and with Rush interacting with him and Greer it furthered that, their naturalistic characteristics such as snarky combacks and a militaristic view just gave even more perspective to his situation and it oddly enough, gave him depth which he used gracefully. It's just a shame his death wouldn't have much impact in the show compared to say, a main character...

The LA exploration is disappointing, there was a real chance to go beyond the mile, to explore the perception of perceived enemy vs perceived enemy through the perspectives of those groups but oddly enough, this is nothing we've seen before. Our heroes treat them indifferently and our enemy treats them indifferently and both sides have reasons for what they're doing; at least SGA explored the differences between groups and how the prime group considered themselves top dog even though they implied equality. But on the other hand, the scenes with Greer and Eli were oddly realistic; I could just imagine them as they tried to blow up the Stargate out of the rubble, the type of jokes they made to themselves and the type of actions that they did; this is something I could see them doing in real life, this is something that I could project myself into and it's a bright spot because it's definitely a reflection of the type of show SGU wants to be; a character show, especially since the characters are fun in this.

This is a surprisingly decent episode; but there are a few things that needed to be fixed. For one, the plethora of luck and the forcing of consequences, those two things really take the bite out of Rush's plot and any plot that comes after it.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
        Riley's death scene. One of the hardest things I've ever had to watch. Such a powerful and hard hitting scene. Really shows how more grown up this series is.
        IMO Riley's death was one of the best/worst ones to watch of all the ones in SG. Whether Sha'res in For ever in a day, Daniels in Meridian, Dr Frasier's in Heroes, or even Dr Beckett in Sunday. Riley's makes you tear up more so imo than the others...

Comment

I remember really hating Rush in the first few episodes of S2 when he finds the bridge. His selfish nature and mantipulation rises to new heights. Because Rush was selfish and needed to keep the power of the bridge to himself we lost Sgt. Riley. Yes I know some will make the arguement that Rush did not intend for happen to happen and Rush had the best intentions. But by keeping and bridge a secret and making the decision all by himself Rush is primarily responsible for Riley's death. Sure we see his remorse at the end but that does not negate the crime Rush committed by "playing God."

As for the episode besides my Rush comment the episode is mostly about Riley and his acceptance of dieing. I find it really powerful stuff from Riley in how he is okay that its his time and the end result of having Young be the one to kill him so he does not suffer. It almost brings you to tears as it feels real as Riley lives in the real world which I say makes it sad. It was quite sad for me to see Riley die because of his emotional journey.

Random notes is how awesome the shuttle crashing looked and it is a wonder the C4 didn't blow up the Stargate. The old plot shield never fails
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

This ep was cool, because Rush was exploring, and found some new stuff. That's all I had hoped for...

Now, I'm waiting for someone else to explore something. But I guess this was the last time it happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
              This ep was cool, because Rush was exploring, and found some new stuff. That's all I had hoped for...

Now, I'm waiting for someone else to explore something. But I guess this was the last time it happened?
              Exploring Destiny was always good to see and I always felt that this was never focused on as much as I would have liked. Now, here we are on this amazing Ancient ship, what are its secrets, what do different parts of its interior look like inside, how big is it really?! All things I want to see and the characters' reactions as they learn more. In SGA, the exploration of the city was few and far between I felt and were the best moments of the show.

Comment

Well said.. And one cann hope that if they DID have a third season we would have more exploration.

I would have loved to see what is in the nose of the ship.. is that where the sensors are? What do they look like.

Comment

Sad sad episode with the lost of that shuttle. That shuttle was like a baby Destiny. We just lost one baby and now another. Seeing everyone choked up at the end for the lost shuttle was really moving.

Reminds me of Voyager when a shuttle would get destroyed. I cried each time because I knew those shuttles were limited. Each shuttle was special, each had a soul.

Well enough about shuttles. They should have just killed those guys from the start instead of sharing food. Treating the prisoners like pets that need to be fed says a lot of our society. Its says these guys are better than so lets feed them. Then the let them go live on a planet with the dead shuttle. The shuttle deserves better than that. They should have at least put them on a different plant so the shuttle spirit wouldn't be mad. Well at least that one guy dead there so he can keep the shuttle spirit company. Yeah I was wonder why Young killed that guy but now I see it was so his spirit could be with the shuttle. Young is the best.

So Rush is seeing the ship's AI. It is funny how his wife pretends she doesn't know Franklin. That can only mean one thing. Rush's wife and Franklin are getting it on somewhere in virtual town. They'll probably be caught and Rush will then try to destroy the ship. Franklin is better for her any way.

Comment

Honestly we will never know if rush seeing his wife WAS the ship's AI or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X