Thread: 'Aftermath' (202) General Discussion

Default Re: 'Aftermath' (202) General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Tucker???
    Trip Tucker in Voyager.

Quote Originally Posted by ciannwn View Post
    Trip Tucker in Voyager.
    Trip was in star trek enterprise not voyager, i was rewatching this episode this morning when i shed a tear for riley, i haven't done that since i watched the shrine and before i watched the shrine the last time i shed a tear for a stargate character was when i watched SGA episode sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by generaloneill View Post
    Trip was in star trek enterprise not voyager, i was rewatching this episode this morning when i shed a tear for riley, i haven't done that since i watched the shrine and before i watched the shrine the last time i shed a tear for a stargate character was when i watched SGA episode sunday.
    Ooops. I have no idea why I put Voyager when I watched Enterprise.

Brigadier General

AH.. No wonder i did not recognize the name. Never really watched enterprise.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

from darkness

RILEY: OK, I'm Sergeant Hunter Riley. I'm, uh, one day short of my thirtieth birthday. Um, I grew up on a farm. I have relatives who've never even left the state, and here I am halfway across the universe, so ... no regrets.

(His face, however, shows his sadness.)

I... just watched it today again and I am not sure I could watch this episode anytime soon...

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    from darkness

RILEY: OK, I'm Sergeant Hunter Riley. I'm, uh, one day short of my thirtieth birthday. Um, I grew up on a farm. I have relatives who've never even left the state, and here I am halfway across the universe, so ... no regrets.

(His face, however, shows his sadness.)

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Interesting episode. Poor Riley. It can't have been easy for Young either. I wonder how long Rush is going to keep the bridge secret...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Interesting episode. Poor Riley. It can't have been easy for Young either. I wonder how long Rush is going to keep the bridge secret...
    I remember this episode. Its where I called Rush a murderer.

I see your point but it's not yet justified. Telford for all we know is still alive.

Thats the next episode. This is the episode where Riley dies

Ooops sorry for posting any spoilers... I hated the inadvertent spoilers myself.

DVDs Re: 'Aftermath' (202) General Discussion

Wow, just wow. That's really a hard way to die.

That score when the Shuttle was going down was just epic.

I'm still thinking about Riley's death, it still gives me chills.

Tomorrow, what's that mysterious ship?

This episode has one of the most hard to watch moments in all of Stargate for me. Riley's death, the way it was acted by both actors was superb, making it a truly tragic scene.

A tragic event that could have been avoided had it not been for Rush's selfish behaviour, even though he believed he was helping. His total disregard for anyone else really came out big time when he finds Destiny's bridge and tells no one! Was Gloria a representation of his guilt?

One thing you learn from Stargate, C4 can unbury or open anything without totally destroying the object itself! That gate was pretty tough to stay upright after being covered in a rock slide! Definitely had to suspend disbelief here with the way the gate was discovered so quickly and unearthed!

The DVD extra with how they filmed the shuttle crash was interesting to watch. Pretty impressive filming and effects for something done in the studio's parking lot with great CGI added afterwards!

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

An alright ep.

Rush finding the bridge. Very cool. I love how it pops up like that.

Dealing with the Lucian Alliance. Maybe a vote on what to do with them would have been a good idea?

Riley's death scene. One of the hardest things I've ever had to watch. Such a powerful and hard hitting scene. Really shows how more grown up this series is.

What's the mysterious object? Dun dun dun.

Midweek, another ep of SGU:

1. Rush is being rediculously petty here but "murderer" suggests he deliberately killed Riley which he obviously didn't.

2. The holograms or whatever did allow us to get to know the guy better.

3. Flipping hell - the GW Podcast for this season is actually starting to talk about the Rewatch!

4. Forgot that things with Telford were still interesting.

Things were getting interesting...

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

This episode is definitely suggestful of the rising quality of Season 2. There's definitely something going on in both the situation, the progression and the characters. This is our first sights of Rush trying to take over the ship and learn to control it by himself; the struggle that he's in is amazing, he's basically trying to prove himself in front of the two people who are either Destiny's AI or his mental state and every action that he does, every word that he says is basically human. He's trying to keep it all in check, making sure that nothing goes wrong but of course as this episode proves, he can't do it on his own as his attempts to correct it fail and Rush's attempts to keep quiet about the fact that the consequences were his is nice character growth.

Speaking of which, the ship crashing definitely provided some tensity and that moment provided some especially good special effects and a situation which people talk about even today. It also leads for one of the greatest moments for Riley who really conveys being trapped in a ship with excellence; you can definitely hear a person who knows his fate, who tries to compensate the situation with the faintest sense of hope but ultimately understands that there's no way out and that blows out anybody in the water. Including Young... Speaking of which, his acting is the reason why his death is so powerful, it gave people a reason to care and with Rush interacting with him and Greer it furthered that, their naturalistic characteristics such as snarky combacks and a militaristic view just gave even more perspective to his situation and it oddly enough, gave him depth which he used gracefully. It's just a shame his death wouldn't have much impact in the show compared to say, a main character...

The LA exploration is disappointing, there was a real chance to go beyond the mile, to explore the perception of perceived enemy vs perceived enemy through the perspectives of those groups but oddly enough, this is nothing we've seen before. Our heroes treat them indifferently and our enemy treats them indifferently and both sides have reasons for what they're doing; at least SGA explored the differences between groups and how the prime group considered themselves top dog even though they implied equality. But on the other hand, the scenes with Greer and Eli were oddly realistic; I could just imagine them as they tried to blow up the Stargate out of the rubble, the type of jokes they made to themselves and the type of actions that they did; this is something I could see them doing in real life, this is something that I could project myself into and it's a bright spot because it's definitely a reflection of the type of show SGU wants to be; a character show, especially since the characters are fun in this.

This is a surprisingly decent episode; but there are a few things that needed to be fixed. For one, the plethora of luck and the forcing of consequences, those two things really take the bite out of Rush's plot and any plot that comes after it.

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    Riley's death scene. One of the hardest things I've ever had to watch. Such a powerful and hard hitting scene. Really shows how more grown up this series is.
    IMO Riley's death was one of the best/worst ones to watch of all the ones in SG. Whether Sha'res in For ever in a day, Daniels in Meridian, Dr Frasier's in Heroes, or even Dr Beckett in Sunday. Riley's makes you tear up more so imo than the others...

I remember really hating Rush in the first few episodes of S2 when he finds the bridge. His selfish nature and mantipulation rises to new heights. Because Rush was selfish and needed to keep the power of the bridge to himself we lost Sgt. Riley. Yes I know some will make the arguement that Rush did not intend for happen to happen and Rush had the best intentions. But by keeping and bridge a secret and making the decision all by himself Rush is primarily responsible for Riley's death. Sure we see his remorse at the end but that does not negate the crime Rush committed by "playing God."

As for the episode besides my Rush comment the episode is mostly about Riley and his acceptance of dieing. I find it really powerful stuff from Riley in how he is okay that its his time and the end result of having Young be the one to kill him so he does not suffer. It almost brings you to tears as it feels real as Riley lives in the real world which I say makes it sad. It was quite sad for me to see Riley die because of his emotional journey.

Random notes is how awesome the shuttle crashing looked and it is a wonder the C4 didn't blow up the Stargate. The old plot shield never fails

Thumbs up Re: 'Aftermath' (202) General Discussion

This ep was cool, because Rush was exploring, and found some new stuff. That's all I had hoped for...

Now, I'm waiting for someone else to explore something. But I guess this was the last time it happened?