Sanctuary Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary Names

I've just started to do a bit reseach on Sanctuary names and try to figure out why the (non-historical) people got that names.
    Maybe there are some people who already thought about that, and want to join?

so far I've only got
    Helen - means "light" (maybe because she tries to bring some "light" to the "dark" places where most abnormals have to hide? It's mostly associated with Helen of Troy, who was famous for her beauty
    Magnus - latin for big, huge (anyone an idea for a backgrund story?)
    Ashley - an Old English name, but popular nowadays, for both boys and girls (maybe Helen thought of a name while the embryo was still frozen and she didn't knew if it would be a girl or a boy? also it's a very modern name, fitting to Helen's daughter, but has it's origins centuries back in England)
    Kate - means "pure" or "innocent" (at least the second doesn't really work for me, so I also found the play "Kiss me Kate" which is based on Shakepeares The Taming Of The Shrew. Kate is a girl who tries to stand up against the men)
    Freelander - so far I've only found a Land-Rover with this name.. ok.. she drives quite dangerously? It also sounds like Freelancer what she is when we meet her
    William - means "protector".. hmm.. he's the protege, so maybe there's a different association?
    Zimmermann - German for carpenter (no idea how that fits...yet)
    Henry - from the German Heinrich, meaning "Host, Landlord" idk.. fits VERY much more to "Heinrich Baumschlager"^^
    Foss - short for "Free/Open Source Software" (I think it explaines itself XD)
    Heinrich Baumschlager - as above, it's German, "Heinrich" meaning host/landlord, witch fits the position Nikola has given himself, "Baumschlager" is a surname (uhm.. tree-cutter/tree-hitter? XD) no idea why they chose German..?

I'll try to find more tomorrow
    sigpic

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post
    I've just started to do a bit reseach on Sanctuary names and try to figure out why the (non-historical) people got that names.
    Maybe there are some people who already thought about that, and want to join?

Magnus - latin for big, huge (anyone an idea for a backgrund story?)

I'll try to find more tomorrow
    Nice idea. I studied latin in my secondary medical school and when I saw this name .. I was like : "Oh my God, what a name for this amazing woman"
    And background story ? Hm .. let me think
    Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
    / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

So, are Sam and me the only ones who think this is interesting?
      But because I'd do this anyway, I can post it here as well
      I'd like to do more reseach if there's more behind some names than the "obvious" meaning, but I don't have *that* much time atm ah.. and I'll only list names to which I actually find a fitting meaning.

Alexei - russian, means "Protector".. which highlights his abnormality
      Big Bertha - "Dicke Bertha" was the name of a German weapon mostly used during WW1. Later the name was generallized for many weapons which were German and huge.
      Nowadays the name is still quite known (at least here) and associated by most people with something really large and dangerous.
      Chad Spencer - the only thing I found about "Chad" was "It's a cool name".. but I guess that could be quite a reason to choose this name for him.. "Spencer" on the other hand means "contributor" If I've translated correctly.. that would make Sense, bc he's the one who started to trigger the vampire gene in others.
      Edward Meyers - I wonder if there are Twilight fans within the Sancturay crew. Of course there is still the kinda spooky Edward Scissorhands and the painter E. Hopper, but "Meyers" makes me think of the Cullen one.. though I see not much of a connection.. does anybody else? (ah.. and Edward's brother's called Robbie.. short for Robert )
      Gregory Magnus - I didn't find much about the name "gregory" but the writers seem to like little references to other series or books, so I found Gregory House. I don't watch it, but he seems to like difficult and strage cases, what causes him trouble with some people.
      Martin Wood - I didn't look the mames up, because I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with trees
      Damian, the nubbin - Same as above. I guess there was sth like an inside joke^^
      Olaf van Ausberg - first of all, is it really "van", not "von"? b/c "van" is usually Dutch..
      Ok.. I looked him up for just for fun, and there is a former sopper player and now coach named Olaf who played for "Bayern München" (Bavaria Munich) but has nothing to do with Werder Bremen, I guess.
      Vern Kovacs - didn't find anything for Vern, but Kovacs may be because of Amanda, and together with the "ashley-clone" and the nubbin all three producers have their names in the series.

If somebody has any information about Dana Whitcomb or Ceclan MacRae, that would be great!!

(and just to mention it.. "Edward" is a quite uncommon name.. yet two characters in Sanctuary share it.. we have to totally different "Spencer"s, and if you count the Ripper, two Jacks. (not that Jack is the name of 50% of all fictional characters.. XD). Ah.. and a "MacRae" and at least one "McRae"..
      You should think there wehe more names available XDD
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post

Edward Meyers - I wonder if there are Twilight fans within the Sancturay crew . Of course there is still the kinda spooky Edward Scissorhands and the painter E. Hopper, but "Meyers" makes me think of the Cullen one.. though I see not much of a connection.. does anybody else? (ah.. and Edward's brother's called Robbie.. short for Robert )

Martin Wood - I didn't look the mames up, because I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with trees
        Damian, the nubbin - Same as above. I guess there was sth like an inside joke^^

Olaf van Ausberg - first of all, is it really "van", not "von"? b/c "van" is usually Dutch..
        Ok.. I looked him up for just for fun, and there is a former sopper player and now coach named Olaf who played for "Bayern München" (Bavaria Munich) but has nothing to do with Werder Bremen, I guess.
        Vern Kovacs - didn't find anything for Vern, but Kovacs may be because of Amanda, and together with the "ashley-clone" and the nubbin all three producers have their names in the series.

If somebody has any information about Dana Whitcomb or Ceclan MacRae, that would be great!!

(and just to mention it.. "Edward" is a quite uncommon name.. yet two characters in Sanctuary share it.. we have to totally different "Spencer"s, and if you count the Ripper, two Jacks. (not that Jack is the name of 50% of all fictional characters.. XD). Ah.. and a "MacRae" and at least one "McRae"..
        You should think there wehe more names available XDD
        Christopher Heyerdahl was in Twilight New Moon as Marcus Volturi.

Martin Wood is a (awesome) Director and Executive Producer for Sanctuary.

Damian the Nubbin was named after Damian Kindler....the inside joke=the cast/crew named the nubbin during filming and Damian's least favorite episode is Nubbins. He did promise not to be mean to the nubbins anymore if he got a certain bid for a "green screen nubbin" that was in the auction at TSE.....the bid was higher than he asked .

Jaclyn MacRae is Script Coordinator for Sanctuary and also helps moderate the website.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help!
          I like the Damian-Part.. hmm.. i kinda like the nubbins, but too bad, if he isn't allowed to let nikola use them anymore It was fun somehow^^

I knew about Martin (that's why I didn't bother to look up the name) and I knew that Christpher H. is Marcus.. but I don't know if that's the reason for the names?

Ah, good to know there's a MacRae in the crew.. so I have only to figure out why Declan got an Irish name without a known meaning
          sigpic

Comment

I love this one
            "Martin Wood - I didn't look the mames up, because I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with trees "

And there was a book named after Brad Wright
            Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
            / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

*gg* haha, I mean, I who in GW thinks of "real" wood, when he/she heard "Wood"?

Really? where?? I love their ehm.. "cameos" (but I kinda miss the 'real' cameos.. at least Siler got one )
              sigpic

Comment

Actually "William" means "to desire protection", from the elements will and helm. Which fits very well with the theme of the show and was probably intentional.

Comment

thanks that would fit, because he's seeking for solutions (and protection) in the beginning if S1.. and later he becomes a protector.. *happy that there's one more else who's interested in names *
                  sigpic

Comment

"Kate" actually doesnt mean "pure", it picked up that association later on. Its original meaning is disputed. I wonder if Freelander is a name conceived by either Kate or her father. It doesn`t sound very Indian either way. Helen`s choice of name for her daughter is puzzling- maybe she wanted Ashley to have a common modern name since she`d have no shortage of uniqueness lol. Or maybe she was honouring someone. Helen doesn`t seem like the type to give a name frivolously.

As for Baumschlager, it`s interesting to note that "Tesla" seems to mean some sort of woodcarving tool like an adz, and is probably used in the same sense as Carpenter. So it looks like Tesla decided to just translate his own name. (He was an Austrian subject by birth) Ironic then that Will has essentially the same last name as someone he hates so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X