This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposal for a Fan-made Stargate game

Hi all. I've been watching SG-1 and Gateworld.net for several years now and I finally decided to join the forum.

Another interest of mine is Escape Velocity: Nova, a Shareware game for PC and Mac. The player flies around in a starship and joins one of several races of humans. Each race has a unique storyline and ships. EVN's distributor encourages modders to make plug-ins, even to the point of making total conversions that bear only a small resemblance to the old game.

About a week ago, someone on a BBS suggested starting a Stargate TC. Since then we have gone through a few ideas. If you're interested, you can read the whole discussion here. This is our latest outline: (some of this will seem pretty obvious to you, since I wrote it for EVN fans)

The TC will be set in the parallel universe featured in Point of View, (PoV universe) sometime after that episode. Most parts of that universe will be just like the universe of "Stargate SG-1," but there are some differences:
    - The SGC is called the SGA. I don't remeber what the "A" stands for. By the time of the TC it has probably evolved into a larger, more public form.
    - Teal'c never turns against Apophis. He is killed in the attack on Earth.
    - Dr. Samantha Carter never enters the military. It is she, not Dr. Jackson, who figures out how the stargate works.
    - Jack O'Niell marries Dr. Carter. He later dies defending the SGA from the Goa'uld.
    - Major Kawalsky is alive and commands SG-1
    - SG-1 does not experience Thor's hammer, and so never becomes aware of the Asgard until PoV.
    - In PoV, Apophis attacks Earth. Carter and Kawalsky come to our universe to ask for help. SG-1 calls the Asgard of that universe, who remove the Goa'uld.
    - Since the Goa'uld attack every major city, it is safe to asume that the entire world knows about the stargate program.

At the begining of the EVNG, the player has a choice of which group to join:
    Tau'ri: The humans of Earth. They have several colonies and a defensive fleet.

Goa'uld: Start as a minor Goa'uld and conquer through might and treachery until your territory rivals Ra's at the hieght of his power.

Jaffa: Serve your god, but is he really all powerful? Lead a rebellion against all Goa'uld to overthrow them.

Tok'ra: You can't start as a Tok'ra, but you can join them from either the Tau'ri or Goa'uld plots. Either way, you'll have to figure out where your loyalties lie: your former people or you new people?

There are also other races that may or may not be playable:
    The Aschen Confederation: The Goa'uld and the Aschen are brushing territory, forcing the Aschen to build conventional weapons.

The Hebridians: a mixed-species spacefaring race. The tensions between humans and Serrakin must be overcome if they are to defend themselves from the Goa'uld.
    The Asgard will definitely appear, but will probably not have their own storyline.

Any comments or questions? Keep in mind that the game is played entirely in space.

EDIT: Is this something you would consider playing?
    Last edited by Chops; 10 January 2005, 04:37 PM.

i certainly would!
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Perhaps if there was lots and lots of replicators, and REPLICARTER

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

oooh, that sounds really cool and interesting. I wouldn't mind givining that ago.

My fave genre of games are roleplaying games. My fave being The Broken Sword series.
        Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
        The Strongest Will Survive!
        I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

sounds really cool. about having replicators, maybe you could be a human form replicator.
          ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

One problem with the replicators is that they are a superpower like the Asgard. If they have captured an Asgard ship, then they know how to make hyperdrives that can travel to other galaxies. That means that a Replicator player would be able to cross the galaxy without much effort.

In order to make the Replicators playable, they would have to be less advanced than the Replicators we know and hate. The best way I can think of is this:

The Replicator/Asgard conflict happens almost exactly like it does in "our" universe. At some point, the Asgard defeat the Replicators...or so they think. A pair of replicators escape through a stargate to a world on the edge of our galaxy. They retain the knowledge of how to build technology, but must find the materials. They cannibalize the Stargate to build a ship and spread to several nearby worlds in search of the neutronium needed to build human-form replicators.

As the game begins, you are one of the first human-forms to be built. The plotline would be in two parts:
            - Internal conflicts, a la Fifth-vs-others. At this point, you cannot allow your ship to be scanned by Asgard or Earth ships.
            - Conquest of a section of the galaxy by you and your fellow Replicators. The story could end whith the discovery of an Ancient outpost. If they ever did find a world such as Proklarush Taonas, they would be unstoppable by anyone but the ancients themselves.

Comments? Other ideas?

EDIT: Did I put this topic in the right forum, or should I ask to have it moved to the general section?
            Last edited by Chops; 22 January 2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

What about non playable replicators? That are like bosses, that interfier with everyone playing every now and again.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Those are much easier. The replicator "gövt" rescource would simply be "xenophobic."

Comment

Hmm, well sounds difficult to me. I'm downloading the game so I'll have a go and see what I can think of.

Comment

is it avaible to download now?
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

No I meant the original game, it's very hard.

lol. I'm stuck, keep running how of hyperdrive. And yeah this game could easily work for SG-1.

Surely those "HyperGate" things could be turned into space Stargates, easily. I say easily, I have no idea how you would mod this game, but if you tell me I'll gladly help.

Comment

What type of computer are you using.

If it is a Windows then you can use EVNEW

If it is a Mac then you can use Mission Computer or some other things. I don't know were to find them.

Comment

Yeah I'm using windows.

I'm not actually that faw into the game, so I don't really know what happens. What does happen? lol. What kind of things could be done with a plot, so faw I'm just shuttling around selling cargo.

Comment

Originally posted by somme
                            Yeah I'm using windows.

I'm not actually that faw into the game, so I don't really know what happens. What does happen? lol. What kind of things could be done with a plot, so faw I'm just shuttling around selling cargo.
                            You can join six major storylines and undergo many minor storylines. You can only do one major storyline per pilot and once you complete it you get transported to S7even.

Everything is better explained here.EV Nova Walkthroughs

Comment

You're right about the hypergates, but since we have only one example of a space-based stargate, I'm hesitant to do that. However, the Furlings seemed to be interested in transportation too, (the dimentional mirror and the planet-moon transporter) so I wouldn't rule out something similar.

As far as what can be done: missions can give you command of a ship, give you a fleet, make enemy ships appear, and a number of other things. A mission canstart in the Mission BBS, the bar, when you contact a ship, or immediately after another one ends.

That's what comes to mind right now. The engine has its limits, but feel free to make a can-it-do-this? post.

Comment

Working...
                              X