This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Stone Ethics

I tried the search and couldn't find anything specifically discussing the stones, so I figured I'd start a thread to discuss them.

I'd like to know what everyone's views are on the communication stones. What exactly do we know about them? Are there any rules governing their use? Should there be? Was Coloniel Young's wife cheating on him even though his consciousness was in Telford's body? If not, then what if it was the other way around? What if somehow (this didn't & can not happen in SGU) Telford's consciousness went into Young's body and he slept with Young's wife at that point? With her knowledge of it being Telford? Is that cheating? What about when Young "killed" Telford while he was in Rush's body? Does the consciousness switch justify treating Rush's body to all of that? Or like in "Darkness" when Telford was pushing Young's injured body to the brink? Was TJ justified in drugging him?

I'm looking forward to the responses.

Apparently they're are no ethics to the use of the Stone.
    SGU tries very hard to avoid facing a lot reality when it comes to these plot devices. So far we've seen Telford's body and another Marines body used for sex and or same sex relations. Now reasonableness would conclude that these might create issues but SGU glosses over them.

At this point all that we can safely conclude is that the man or woman sitting at those stones agree to some sort of terms with knowledge that apparently their body maybe used to carry out clandestine affairs, exposure to risk of STD's or may incur a violent encounter as control by the consciousness.

It sounds absurd to me but this is the reality the show forces us to either blissfully ignore and gloss over for the sake of their story, or attempt to resolve by our best guessing.

It's completely a different situation for these missions such as Rush and Telford. They have an objective to accomplish at least there is goal at hand. It doesn't make the abuse that Rush endured at Youngs hand any more tolerable but the situation has mitigating circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
      I tried the search and couldn't find anything specifically discussing the stones, so I figured I'd start a thread to discuss them.

I'd like to know what everyone's views are on the communication stones. What exactly do we know about them? Are there any rules governing their use? Should there be? Was Coloniel Young's wife cheating on him even though his consciousness was in Telford's body? If not, then what if it was the other way around? What if somehow (this didn't & can not happen in SGU) Telford's consciousness went into Young's body and he slept with Young's wife at that point? With her knowledge of it being Telford? Is that cheating? What about when Young "killed" Telford while he was in Rush's body? Does the consciousness switch justify treating Rush's body to all of that? Or like in "Darkness" when Telford was pushing Young's injured body to the brink? Was TJ justified in drugging him?

I'm looking forward to the responses.
      SG1 spoilers just in case anyone cares.

The first time we saw the communication stones in action I think was in the SG1 Season 8 ep Citizen Joe. (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, cuz thats the first time i can remember right now)
      It's mentioned that ONeill activated one stone back when he found that ancient head sucker library in the second season (The Fifth Race)(i think that was the ep he found the stone) and it was stored at the SGC; and some random guy named Joe with the ATA gene picked one up at a garage sale at around the same time. Neither knew what the stones were for. That episode went through Joe's life since he got the stone. He was getting visions/dreams of what ONeill was going through when they were both in proximity of the stones. The ep was basically a clip show.

The next time the stones were used was in SG1 (Season 9) Avalon pt 2. SG1 had found an ancient communication terminal in Avalon pt1 and Daniel and Vala plugged in the stones from Citizen Joe(they fixed them so they werent linked to anyone else). Daniel and Vala got transported to the Ori galaxy and ended up in the bodies of 2 villages with another set of stones. the villagers consciousness' werent transferred into daniel and valas bodies. their bodies were unconscious at the SGC. The body Vala was in was burned alive and Vala body at the SGC died as well. (her heart stopped Lam said she was dead.) Daniel almost died too because he was linked to Vala by the Jaffa bracelets. The Prior brought Vala in the Ori galaxy back to life so Vala at the SGC came back to life as well (Origin). Had problems disconnecting the stones so they could get D/V back so they threw the stone terminal into the Kawoosh. that disconnected the stones.

The next time they were seen was in Crusade (Season 9) when Vala used them to contact the SGC from the Ori galaxy. Vala got disconnected when the terminal was destroyed by a prior.

i think the next time the stones were used was in the SGA Season 5 ep Identity. Keller body swaps with a thief and is almost excecuted. If one person dies the person their stone is connected to dies. They shot the terminal to disconnect the stones.

Now. SGU LOL (that might of been too much backround info)
      Between Identity and Air the SGC figured out how to control the stones regarding connecting and disconnecting. They also got those nice little pads to put them on instead of the terminal.

The residual memories that Telford, Rush and Scott expierenced might be almost the same thing as what Oneill and Joe went through i guess.
      If there arent rules governing their use there should be. The only reasons I think the stones should be used is to transfer information between the Destiny and Earth. And to get experts on the destiny to help out. i have no problems with people on destiny visiting there families and loved ones using the stones; but I don't think that people should be having sex or engaging in risky behavior while in someone elses body. Now i don't have problems with people having sex on sgu. I just have a problem with it when they use the stones. I think its disturbing that someone would use someone elses body for sex. And i also find it disturbing that the loved one would go along with having sex with another body even if their beloveds consciousness is in it. i dunno, thats just me. I know it might not bother other people.
      Ok I'm done for now lol I'm tired I usually don't write such long replies.

I might have missed stuff but I'm tired. LOL
      Last edited by VampyreWraith; 21 July 2010, 11:16 PM. Reason: Added Seasons for eps
      sigpic

Comment

ummm..it was explained...

the form they sign before using the stones, says they allow their bodies to be used for such things, but they cant do anything that affects the persons life.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          ummm..it was explained...

the form they sign before using the stones, says they allow their bodies to be used for such things, but they cant do anything that affects the persons life.
          I'd say risk of stds and an unplanned pregnancy could affect a persons life. No contraceptive is 100% foolproof.

Add: But anyway I really don't want to get into a debate about this again or anything lol. Everyone else is free to do so though of course. i just dont see how/why anyone would agree to do that. I'm talking about all the parties involved in the body swapping sex not just the people on Destiny who need to get laid back home.
          Last edited by VampyreWraith; 21 July 2010, 09:58 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            I'd say risk of stds and an unplanned pregnancy could affect a persons life. No contraceptive is 100% foolproof.

Add: But anyway I really don't want to get into a debate about this again or anything lol. Everyone else is free to do so though of course. i just dont see how/why anyone would agree to do that. I'm talking about all the parties involved in the body swapping sex not just the people on Destiny who need to get laid back home.
            thats why the waiver is signed, and the people are told it could happen and im sure they are given some generous compensation for letting them use their bodies

Comment

thats why the waiver is signed, and the people are told it could happen and im sure they are given some generous compensation for letting them use their bodies
              Ok but what about the spouse or lover lol. If some random chick or even a dude you never met before came to your house saying they were your partner; would you have sex with them? I dunno; I mean I wouldn't but maybe other people would. I just personally find it disturbing.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok but what about the spouse or lover lol. If some random chick or even a dude you never met before came to your house saying they were your partner; would you have sex with them? I dunno; I mean I wouldn't but maybe other people would. I just personally find it disturbing.
                It depends if someone can look beyond the body and into the 'soul' so to speak.

Anyways, the only person we have seen having sex while using the stones was Young, and it tells us a lot about his character, as well as in the end his wife's.

Yes, Chloe got drunk... I'm not much caring about that. She had someone there to look after her and in the end I think that is much less an 'invasion' then Vala actually getting someone she was connected with killed.

As for Telford pushing Young's body. Yes that was wrong because TJ warned him and it was dangerous. Young torturing Rush's body also inexcusable.

Interesting to note though all these questionable stone moments happen with Young and/or Telford involved. Don't you think that maybe that is intentional?
                Last edited by Deevil; 21 July 2010, 10:25 PM.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post

Anyways, the only person we have seen having sex while using the stones was Young, and it tells us a lot about his character, as well as in the end his wife's.

Yes, Chloe got drunk... I'm not much caring about that. She had someone there to look after her and in the end I think that is much less an 'invasion' then Vala actually getting someone she was connected with killed.

As for Telford pushing Young's body. Yes that was wrong because TJ warned him and it was dangerous. Young torturing Rush's body also inexcusable.

Interesting to note though all these questionable stone moments happen with Young and/or Telford involved. Don't you think that maybe that is intentional?
                  I can see that maybe after spending some time with the person(I mean at least a few days or a week together). i really cant picture anyone being so willing right away.
                  Might have been intentional on Telford's part. Are you saying that Telford was influencing Young subconsciously? I'm just confused by what you mean by intentional? I'm really not trying to be a smart a** or anything, just tired, but can't fall asleep lol.
                  See I have less of a problem with the Rush/Telford tourture than the sex scenes. I guess because Young needed info and needed to see if Telford was brainwashed and almost killing Rush was a good way to do it. lol Im just weird, i guess.
                  And yes Telford was being a jerk in Young's body by pushing it so hard, but he had an agenda. (I'm not excusing it btw.)
                  sigpic

Comment

I bet the waiver was all Daniel Jackson's idea, I always thought he was alittle "open" to that kind of stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

Might have been intentional on Telford's part. Are you saying that Telford was influencing Young subconsciously? I'm just confused by what you mean by intentional? I'm really not trying to be a smart a** or anything, just tired, but can't fall asleep lol.
                      I meant it was intentionally written that way. Young and Telford aren't the most sane, or moral of people - so I think having them act in this way only highlights it.

It also shows that maybe there are some basic ethics (at least) that most swappers will use.
                      Last edited by Deevil; 21 July 2010, 10:49 PM.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

SG1 spoilers just in case anyone cares.
                        Thank you for all that as I never saw those SG1 eps, only the "Identity" one.

I guess I missed the part where they sign a form.

Well thats why I asked the questions regarding fidelity.

Yeah. Thats a very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                          Apparently they're are no ethics to the use of the Stone.
                          SGU tries very hard to avoid facing a lot reality when it comes to these plot devices. So far we've seen Telford's body and another Marines body used for sex and or same sex relations. Now reasonableness would conclude that these might create issues but SGU glosses over them...
                          I agree, the writers really messed this one up, the wanted so badly the whole mature feel of a show and their understanding of "mature" and "edgy" is to ignore cultural morales even though they dictate are actions in real life. Plus I'm not convinced that the situation is desperate enough for people to have sex in other peoples bodies, I can imagine that happening if they havent seen their loved ones for a 5 years or something, but me personally I would never.

Yeah me either, members here who are okay with it try their best to make you feel repressed or small-minded. Since we are a sci-fi community, its no surprise alot will be okay with such things since we arent really bogged down by religion. However, religious or not, its disturbing to me.

Anyways, the only person we have seen having sex while using the stones was Young, and it tells us a lot about his character, as well as in the end his wife's....

...Interesting to note though all these questionable stone moments happen with Young and/or Telford involved. Don't you think that maybe that is intentional?
                          you say if someone can look beyond body and into the "soul"? they why are they having "sex"? isnt sex about the body, not really about consciousness. If they really wanted to connect in a way that surpasses the body then it would have to be in an emotional way which isnt hard for long-term couples. But having sex wrecks of desperation for well just sex. I guess Young's wife thought it was a win/win kinda thing I dont know, I was shocked.

I agree about the whole Telford/Young, thats the interesting aspect of all this stone thing IMO.
                          sigpic

Comment

I meant it was intentionally written that way. Young and Telford aren't the most sane, or moral of people - so I think having them act in this way only highlights it.

It also shows that maybe there are some basic ethics (at least) that most swappers will use.
                            That could be true. Although I don't see Young or Telford as not sane or immoral. I see them as more practical. Like they'll do whatever needs to be done in order to get the job done. It was nice to see Young especially, kind of questioning that towards the end of the season.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
                              Thank you for all that as I never saw those SG1 eps, only the "Identity" one.
                              Your welcome.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X