X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syfy's Direction - Dave Howe talks about his network

http://blogs.forbes.com/bizblog/2010...ent-dave-howe/

Quotes:
    Forbes: Since the re-brand a year ago, you’ve moved into several genres. How do you lure new viewers to these newer areas without alienating your core sci-fi base?
    Howe: We’re not in any shape or form abandoning the genre. What we're doing is giving more permission to more viewers to sample us and to realize that this isn’t a niche genre; this is a very broad-based, popular entertainment genre. But interestingly the definition of sci-fi/fantasy varies according to who you talk to, so being accused of abandoning the core fan-base is a way of life here.
    ,What do you know about the fan base that the others don’t?
    One of the fascinating insights that we gleaned four or five years ago when we looked at how to appeal to an 18-to-34 demographic is that the traditional trappings of science-fiction don’t appeal to that audience. And by that I mean the science-based, technology-based, space-based [fare]. Younger audiences are less interested in how things work or what they can do with technology because they all grew up in the world of cell phones, the Internet, streaming video. They take for granted technological innovation in a way 20 or 30 years ago people didn’t.
    That means they’re more interested in the virtual experience and the journey that sci-fi and imagination-based entertainment can take them on. They’re much more interested in taking a different look at the present reality; seeing characters and situations that seem relatable and accessible but actually have a twist, which takes them somewhere more interesting and more escapist.
    more at the above article, the highlighted portion doesn't seem to bode well for Stargate, though, does it?
    sigpic

Ouch this isn't a good new , now people we need to gather the masses and support SGU if we want to see SGA and SG1 movies
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

What's new though? Stargate has always had to struggle with a channel that is increasingly disinterested in scifi and more interested in peddling reality shows.

Comment

I think this is more how in SGA mckay and zelenka would just skip the techno babble in cute little ways like answering eachothers questions before they were asked. U get some personality and comedy in the same scene without hearing how they 'inverted the polarity' for the 10 millionth time. I mean do you really talk to ur IT computer guy in excessive technological details when hes fixxing the problem for you or do u ask for a broad analogy then shoot the bull for a few minutes?

Comment

yeas theno babble is the good part of sf and even better if you understand it
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

it makes me happy that in Canada, it's still called the Space channel. Where you're likely to see Space
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Sounds good to me. More about the implications of the technology, rather than the tech itself.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X