Novel Archive Expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novel Archive Expired

Went to the Stargate Novel Archive to look for a fic and discovered that the domain registration for the website expired on the 14th of July.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. There are some fics there I have not found anywhere else.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

it seems to be back up now.

This can be a 'learning experience' for folks though.

It's never wise to depend on a website being up forever. Eventually this, and other sites, will go down, and they'll go down forever.
    In the case of the novel archive, the fic are all .txt files. I'd recommend to people, if there's a fic on that site that you love, save it to your harddrive. Save it locally. Nothing on the internet is forever. And especially now as the economy and the fandom wanes, web masters may not have the financial ability to keep a site up, and may not have the personal interest to keep it up.

I personally have hundreds of megs of fic on my drive, some of which i know are no longer up on the net.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's back down again. I hope it's not gone for good.

I save all the fic I like to my hard drive, but I haven't gone thru all the stories yet even though it hasn't been updated in several years. I don't seem to get back to it until I've run out of new fic I like. I guess I thought I would always have time.
      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I'd have to agree with the sentiment to save fics you like.

I've been searching the internetz high and low for Sam/John fic, and i've pretty much copied all 30 or so fics to my HD. There's aparrently 2-4 that i've missed, but only the title and summary are still availible, the fic has since been taken down and i just didn't get there in time

So now i'm teased horribly because there's just so little Sam/John fic out there and i didn't get to read those
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Working...
        X