This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
    ok....GET HER *runs after cazz* And stop hanging around Jel, he’s a bad influence
    Jel couldn't influence me if he tried

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by Vecturist View Post
      Same here with the supernatural/psychic oriented programs. I like my action/adventure stuff - there are times I just want to be entertained by larger than life heroes, stuff blowing up, and sarcastic one-liners.
      Which is fine. But it has its place. And that place is not SGU.

Mind you... that doesn't mean that most of the SGA characters are not capable of still being themselves in the SGU environment without being... that kinda hero...if that makes sense.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Mind you... that doesn't mean that most of the SGA characters are not capable of still being themselves in the SGU environment without being... that kinda hero...if that makes sense.
        I'm actually going to agree with you.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PTree View Post
          Another woman here who agrees on the psychic/dead-talk/supernatural stuff! Blech. I tried to watch Ghost Whisperer once. What a wretched show.
          I tried too Yeah I didn't get very far with it

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post

Ah so it's you who is the bad influence on Jel then
          sigpic

Comment

*Grins* Yay!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I guess we’re all a contradiction
              I most certainly am!
              Well normal is overrated anyways
              It sure is!
              I could have told you both that already

*runs away*
              Cheeky! You know us too well!
              Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
              All these weird women are making me feel right at home. Stargate fandom - where the weird chicks hang out!
              Yep. That sounds about right!
              ok....GET HER *runs after cazz* And stop hanging around Jel, he’s a bad influence
              Jel's not a bad influence - he's just plain bad! I've never got over him calling me a flying pig! A PIG? I ask you, do I look like a pig? Actually, um, don't answer that!

Same here with the supernatural/psychic oriented programs. I like my action/adventure stuff - there are times I just want to be entertained by larger than life heroes, stuff blowing up, and sarcastic one-liners.
              If the hero has nice hair, hair that could well be exhibiting signs of sentience... well, that's always a plus as well!
              Originally posted by PTree View Post
              Another woman here who agrees on the psychic/dead-talk/supernatural stuff! Blech. I tried to watch Ghost Whisperer once. What a wretched show.
              Me too. I actually didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...y-happy114.gif
              Me neither! Honest!
              Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Actually, that does make sense! Are you feeling ok?
              *faints*
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                Shrug, from my perspective, it reeks of desperation since it's amazing how all those comments of no 'square jawed heroes' and a basic abandonment of SGA is suddenly forgotten when teh ratings dip.
                The episode is in the back half of the season, a renewal/cancellation decision will be based on the numbers from the front half. If it were a ratings ploy, it would be in the first 10 episodes, not the relatively inconsequential last 10 ones.

They've already made themselves clear in their stories that none of the true characters we knew exist.
                No they haven't

RDA"s moments have mostly been improvised (confirmed by JM blog)
                That's nothing new.

SGA's characters were those 'square jawed heroes' that SGU wasn't supposed to have. That's why they brought in Perry instead of any of the other scientist characters that was already set up.
                McKay was a square jawed hero? I think not. Besides, these are only guest appearances.

Cameos are a nice little thing to maintain continuity, but really unless their appearance actually has something to do with the episode (Like Doohan and Nimoys appearances on TNG) then how is it anything beyond a rating ploy if they announce it like this and market it?
                It obviously will do.
                Last edited by KEK; 19 July 2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                  Jel's not a bad influence - he's just plain bad! I've never got over him calling me a flying pig! A PIG? I ask you, do I look like a pig? Actually, um, don't answer that!
                  Well he calls me little goldfish Although I kinda am like a goldfish, I usually forget things after 3 minutes

As for SGU/SGA, the only person I could see from SGA being on SGU is unfortunately McKay, I don't see what purpose the others would have. So let's just say if McKay is the one to guest star then I wouldn't have watched the ep anyways if I was still watching SGU

*cough* see how I managed to steer my post back on topic *cough*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                    The episode is in the back half of the season, a renewal/cancellation decision will be based on the numbers from the front half. If it were a ratings ploy, it would be in the first 10 episodes, no the relatively inconsequential last 10 ones.
                    You do make sense with that, but recall that Season 2 was already being filmed before the numbers for 1.5 were in. the back half of season 2 was the ONLY place they could make changes based on those numbers - such as guest appearances from SGA actors.

It's making the most of a bad situation. If it's in the backhalf of teh season, why make such a big deal now since we wont' see it for like a year if not more? Seems like they want as many people to watch the first half of season 2 so that the guest appearances will 'make sense.'

I'm not saying they shouldn't, they're trying to drum up better ratings for their show and i'm not against that sort of thing. What i don't like is that it's coming after so many disparaging remarks about SG-1 and SG-A, for them to suddenly be flaunting it like "Oh you see, we still love SGA!"

No they haven't
                    Then why bring in Perry? Why not Dr Lee or McKay or Zelenka? Any of teh many scientist characters we know have had first hand experience working on stuff that's very ancient and 'alien'.

Look at Carter, She was called a "National Treasure" for her mind, and yet in the few appearances we've seen she's basically another military commander with no superior intellect to speak of. That's not the Sam i remember, that's not the Sam i know from two previous shows.

They wanted to distance themselves from SG1 and SGA didn't they? SGU was a standalone product, not something that needs to stand up on SG-1 and SGA's shoulders.

That's nothing new.
                    Which was kind of my point. RDA pushed for those scenes in all his tenure on SG1. What happened to everyone else? Why is Sam suddenly just a military person instead of a scientist as well? Why is Daniel following spies around with a camera instead of helping Destiny figure things out since you knw... he IS the foremost expert on Ancient technology. The videos tell us taht, but his few appearances beyond a hallucination tell me he couldn't give two craps about Destiny being a relic of a race he's devoted his life to. Seems a bit peculiar don't you think?

McKay was a square jawed hero? I think not. Besides, these are only guest appearances.
                    He became one. Or perhaps you forget Brainstorm and many other McKay centric as a hero episodes.

Just a guest appearance? Why bother with a guest appearance if they've already established Perry and Rush as the 'experts'? They could introduce more SGU specific characters for taht if they want since they've already done it.

Let's say it IS McKay who's guest starring. What's going to happen? Is he suddenly going to become a moron and not know how to fix things? Is he going to fix everything on the ship as he sadly was capable of doing at the end of SGA and was clearly shown to do on multiple occasions? Do make him a "normal" scientist would kinda be breaking the character they had at the end of SGA.

Is McKay smarter than Perry? Then why bring in Perry in the first place? JM already stated that they had to change teh timeing of the SGA movie in order to accommodate the guest appearance....

So... when Perry came, there was no chance of SGA guests because the movie was taking place then? Hmmm seems to me that they're sacrificing the integrity of the supposed movie in order to uplift SGU.

It obviously will do.
                    Really? So the SGA character will have a spot like Perry did, intergral to the plot and actually having screen time?

Take TNG, the first episode had Deforest Kelly in a cameo guest appearance.

A later episode had Doohan (Scotty) in a guest role that spanned teh whole episode.

Leonard Nimoy had a two part episode in late TNG that had massive ramifications for the galaxy later on.

What kind of cameo are you expecting from the SGA characters? I'm expecting something like the first to be perfectly honest, but maybe somewhere between that and the second is where it'll end up to be fair.

Is that really a huge thing? No. So why bring SGA isntead of making their own character as they already have? Simple, they want SGA fans to watch the first half season, hence boosting the ratings.
                    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. We had Sg1/SGA crossovers that worked well so there's no reason why this wouldn't work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                        Your generalising again. Yes, SGU doesn't have a large number of female viewers statistically speaking. Please remember that only 25,000 HH make up the entire Nielsons rating system. There are flaws in the system.

Now, consider how many people are registered a Gateworld. It far exceeds the number of registered Nielson's HH. The question is how many of them are females?

Furthermore, your comments about females and sex scenes are High-Larious! Not only a generalisation, and incorrect and unsupported one. Thanks for the laugh!

For the record, I didnt mean to say that all women are repulsed by sex scenes, but some women don't react well to crude sex scenes such as the closet sex one. If a sex scene was done in the vain of Scott/Chloe; then i have no doubt women would have no problem with it in fact probably want more of it. Thats obvious, but whatever I write has to be wrong and sexist.

secondly, there are probably more female members on gateworld and any convention, I'm not disputing that. There is a difference however between dedicated fans and silent fans. Female demographic are regarded by the industry as the most dedicated fans out there, especially young ones, and you dont have to look far for examples of such, most popular TV shows/movies are all fueled by dedicated female fanbase, like: Glee, Twilight, Gossip Girl, Hanna Montana, Ghost Whisperer, Bones, Titanic, Vampire Diaries, sex and the city and many others im unaware of.

In a way, female demographic are the Gold standard of movies/TV shows. Male audience seem to loose interest quickly and many dont watch TV or go to the movies at least not in a dedicated manner, I don't know why. In that sense, male demographic are unreliable, while the formula for female-oriented shows are well understood by the industry and are easier to develop. Thats why there is no all male cast, A-Team type show today, a good show needs balance to attract both sexes. I think SGA did succeed in that aspect.

I’m not into the whole supernatural/afterlife thing and i’m a woman But then again i’m not normal
                        no, it just means you have different interests than other women. generalizations have to be made in order make conclusions. supernatural/fantasy in TV/movie/books attract a large female demo, moreso than sci fi. The most popular fantasy books out there deal with relationships and show women in strong roles and most of these books are written by women for women. While Sci-fi, especially ones written by male writers, dont build on love triangles, or Mulder & Scully type of thing; because thats always a fail to male demo. TV shows are forced to include these "love triangles" however to attract a certain amount of female demo.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                          For the record, I didnt mean to say that all women are repulsed by sex scenes, but some women don't react well to crude sex scenes such as the closet sex one. If a sex scene was done in the vain of Scott/Chloe; then i have no doubt women would have no problem with it in fact probably want more of it. Thats obvious, but whatever I write has to be wrong and sexist.

secondly, there are probably more female members on gateworld and any convention, I'm not disputing that. There is a difference however between dedicated fans and silent fans. Female demographic are regarded by the industry as the most dedicated fans out there, especially young ones, and you dont have to look far for examples of such, most popular TV shows/movies are all fueled by dedicated female fanbase, like: Glee, Twilight, Gossip Girl, Hanna Montana, Ghost Whisperer, Bones, Titanic, Vampire Diaries, sex and the city and many others im unaware of.

In a way, female demographic are the Gold standard of movies/TV shows. Male audience seem to loose interest quickly and many dont watch TV or go to the movies at least not in a dedicated manner, I don't know why. In that sense, male demographic are unreliable, while the formula for female-oriented shows are well understood by the industry and are easier to develop. Thats why there is no all male cast, A-Team type show today, a good show needs balance to attract both sexes. I think SGA did succeed in that aspect.

no, it just means you have different interests than other women. generalizations have to be made in order make conclusions. supernatural/fantasy in TV/movie/books attract a large female demo, moreso than sci fi. The most popular fantasy books out there deal with relationships and show women in strong roles and most of these books are written by women for women. While Sci-fi, especially ones written by male writers, dont build on love triangles, or Mulder & Scully type of thing; because thats always a fail to male demo. TV shows are forced to include these "love triangles" however to attract a certain amount of female demo.
                          When you put it this way it makes more sense; before it sounded like you were saying that women dont like sgu, and dont watch sgu because there are no hot guys in it like sga; and that there were too many sex scenes for women.
                          sigpic

Comment

I watched the entire first season of SGU. Never warmed to it and really couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe their wasn't enough off-ship action, too much darkness and too much of the soap opera jive happening, but my reaction to the crossover has me thinking that it isn't the show itself that killed my ability to let the show 'in' and grow to enjoy it, but rather the handing of SGA by TPB. I hate feeling used and that the feeling I get from this announcement, whether its a correct feeling or not it is what it is.

Maybe I'll come back and watch it in a few years time with a different perspective (after all I hated SG1 for 7 years but now adore it more than SGA)..but for now I don't think I will overcome the aversion I seem to have developed. This is where the internet can provide us with too much information, if it weren't for reading the comments by BW and co following the cancellation of SGA and his reaction to fan disappointment at the time then I doubt I'd be tainted by such feelings and SGU would probably have another veiwer for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda06 View Post
                            I’m not into the whole supernatural/afterlife thing and i’m a woman But then again i’m not normal
                            LOL. Don't worry Linda, I'm not normal either! I don't care for the fantasy/supernatural thing at all.
                            Last edited by gottaluvit; 19 July 2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                              I
                              Actually, that does make sense! Are you feeling ok?

*faints*
                              :O

Cheeky!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                                I watched the entire first season of SGU. Never warmed to it and really couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe their wasn't enough off-ship action, too much darkness and too much of the soap opera jive happening, but my reaction to the crossover has me thinking that it isn't the show itself that killed my ability to let the show 'in' and grow to enjoy it, but rather the handing of SGA by TPB. I hate feeling used and that the feeling I get from this announcement, whether its a correct feeling or not it is what it is.

Maybe I'll come back and watch it in a few years time with a different perspective (after all I hated SG1 for 7 years but now adore it more than SGA)..but for now I don't think I will overcome the aversion I seem to have developed. This is where the internet can provide us with too much information, if it weren't for reading the comments by BW and co following the cancellation of SGA and his reaction to fan disappointment at the time then I doubt I'd be tainted by such feelings and SGU would probably have another veiwer for the forseeable future.
                                I agree with the bolded a lot. This, I think, was a lot of people's problem. I don't know if BW and others meant to be insulting or not, or if he was just frustrated and put his foot in his mouth without realizing. I really don't pay too much attention to the behind the scenes stuff so I really don't know what happened; but I really understand the fact that getting too much information can taint someone's viewing pleasure.
                                I know sgu is not a perfect show or anything, and it has its faults which has turned off a lot of viewers (it almost turned me off), but i think what may have been said played a big part in viewer displeasure also.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X