Did the Ancients terraform planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    I believe the Ancients must have been capable of terraforming worlds, for the same reasons as Puddle-Jumper states in his post above.

Where was it stated that Dakara could seed a galaxy with life, by which I mean start from scratch, with no Human biological material present to start with on any world where Human life evolves?

As far as I'm aware all Dakara could do was break down the bonds between cells, atoms, etc.
    I always thought that the Ancients either created less evolved Alterans in labs and then placed them on various worlds or they left the necessary DNA material and a catalyst of some kind to allow for evolution of biological material until it formed into Humans.
    Maybe giving the process a little nudge in the right direction if things went in an unexpected direction.
    I guess they could have even manipulated the biology of alien worlds to form Human life where they chose to (provided those worlds were too inhospitable ).
    I don't see how Dakara could be used to start life on a world, not without DNA that resembles what's inside us all as a base point to start from.
    A dead world with nothing living on it would just have nothing to work with.

Could some kind of Matter Conversion process be used as a part of the process?
    I guess I could kinda believe Dakara could maybe do the whole thing if it's capable of changing atomic structures besides the basic breaking apart of atoms that are joined together.
    Well, in the episode where they used the Dakara Device against the replicators, didn't Daniel mention some thing of seeding life, as well as destroying it...? Could be me, don't really remember. *Runs away to watch the episode again*
    sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

In the pilot episode of Atlantis, the Ancient hologram said
      ...in the hope of spreading new life in a galaxy where their appeared to be none.
      To me, this sounds like they came and began terraforming planets.

In time, a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form.
      Terraforming is generally portrayed as a long, gradual process, and this statement makes it sound like whatever they were doing took a long time.

Comment

I was always under the impression. That the Ancients proved evolution was real in the show. Given that "We are the second evolution of this kind" So when they said seeded life, I thought that they were saying that made planets that could evolve life, eventually that's why to quote another reference "In time, a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form." that was when human beings evolved.

Any device that can create this could surely remove aspects of it. Such as atoms behaving in a certain way. We at our current level of technology can create a bomb that will only destroy the living organic elements.

Comment

I think that something like the genesis device . Really the ancients had WH-drive and they found the prof that god exists so there is no reason in the universe to think that they can't do it .
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
            I only ask, because a lot of the planets the Ancients seeded life on had plentiful woodlands and greenery. I know the show production reason for this, but I wonder if the Ancients didn't turn some of these planets from barren rock to the supporters of life we see today.
            Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
            Well... The planets in SGU seems pretty barren too me... No Dakara device = no life in to many places... I mean, the device can destroy everything in a galaxy.. And it can make human life... It should have a terra forming device in it..
            Weren't you two aware that there are only 2 types of habital planets in the universe?
            Class Southern California,and Class Canada.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
              I think that something like the genesis device . Really the ancients had WH-drive and they found the prof that god exists so there is no reason in the universe to think that they can't do it .
              Wait when did they prove God? The ancients claimed they seeded all life. Which would be against the idea of God.

Terra-forming a planet isn't hard, we are considering ways of crudely terror-forming planets at the moment.

But yes, they can terraform planets. Not that they'd need to given the odds are pretty good for other earth-like planets.

Comment

There has never been any mention of terraforming planets in the series. However they did create a atmosphere for a small moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                  There has never been any mention of terraforming planets in the series. However they did create a atmosphere for a small moon.
                  There was a terraforming species in SG1 though

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                    It was pretty much assumed by fans that the reason why there were so many planets in SG1/SGA habitable and looking like british columbia is because the ancients either terraformed them or the seeding life process is also a terraforming process
                    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Gadmeer.I wonder if the seeder ships do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
                        Wait when did they prove God? The ancients claimed they seeded all life. Which would be against the idea of God.

Terra-forming a planet isn't hard, we are considering ways of crudely terror-forming planets at the moment.

But yes, they can terraform planets. Not that they'd need to given the odds are pretty good for other earth-like planets.
                        I'm pretty sure that's a reference to the "signal embedded in the cosmic background radiation" storyline from SGU.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
                          I only ask, because a lot of the planets the Ancients seeded life on had plentiful woodlands and greenery. I know the show production reason for this, but I wonder if the Ancients didn't turn some of these planets from barren rock to the supporters of life we see today.
                          there are, iirc, a ton of desert planets out there too - suggesting that they either didn't terraform, or didn't terraform everything.

however, it's hard to know whether we ever saw the entire planets. remember when jack + sam got trapped on the 'ice' planet? the one that turned out to be antartica? they couldn't detect radio traffic, either.

we saw the area around the gate, that's all. until there is evidence that we saw entire planets that were confirmed deserts or rainforests, i personally believe it's feasible that many planets had several environs that were simply never explored.
                          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
                            Wait when did they prove God?
                            Universe
                            Spoiler:
                            and the signal destiny is following. not a 100% god-signal, but definitely implied evidence of something out there beyond the knowledge of the ancients. since it seemed to be in the background radiation, it doesn't seem to be a radio signal from an advanced race that has simply taken this long to reach here - it suggests a construct/design to the universe.
                            The ancients claimed they seeded all life.Which would be against the idea of God.
                            not necessarily. humans are not, in fact, the first evolution of this form (as far as the stargate franchise is concerned.) we're at least the second - ancients are the first.

creationism teaches that god created all life et cetera - but it doesn't rule out that a lesser form could build a machine to reproduce life. there are 3 points to consider:

1. the ancients built the device, but 'god' had to permit it to operate. this would imply that 'god' was constantly around, but if so then
                            Spoiler:
                            the signal destiny was following shouldn't have been traceable to any kind of source. instead, the ship is going in a relatively straight line toward an approximate goal.

2. 'god' gave the ancients free will. by extension, he did not limit the extent to which they could develop. this would permit them to develop certain powers which, from a religious point of view, are either 'god' powers - healing springs to mind - or 'dangerous' powers - khalek for example seemed able to use his developing power to kill, and to manipulate his environment. environmental manipulation may not, inherently, be considered dangerous - but at best it is morally ambiguous. the wraith also seem to have a form of telepathic power - creating illusions to cause terror. the power in itself may be ambiguous, however it has been portrayed as 'dangerous.'

3. by religious perspectives, 'god' is always watching us and has a plan for us. there's an old story of a man caught in a flood. he climbs a tree, and as several people pass by they offer to help him escape. as a man of faith, his response is always 'god will save me.' the flood finally rises far enough to take him from the tree and drown him. when he gets to the afterlife, he asks god, 'why didn't you save me?' god answers, 'i tried, but you turned me away. i sent people to save you and you turned them all away.' the point i'm making is: from a religious perspective, the ancients may simply be acting out 'god's' plan, particularly since they aren't creating but recreating life, spreading it as far as they can. or, of course, the 'devil's' plan in mockery of life, if they chose to turn away from good.

the explanation a person will accept will be based on their own view of 'god.'

of course, if a person does not believe in 'god' they can always argue that the Universe spoiler tag above is simply an accident, and the ancients are simply the most powerful existing beings, capable of creating from little more than cosmic dust. who knows?
                            Last edited by Keeper; 26 April 2011, 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed typo
                            Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Oh the God question! When I saw the SGU show with this inclination, I immediately thought of lost and what a disappointment the ending was. Anyway, Terra forming planets: was there any mention of who the planet builders were in SGU? Although in Atlantis and SG1, it seemed like the ancients were superior, but in SG1 the vulnerability of the destiny seemed a little less superior (even though is was incredibly old) perhaps insinuating that the Ancients really were not all knowing considering the Destiny was on a path towards discovery. The Destiny is traveling towards the singularity in which the universe began and within that finding the what I am assuming is the 1% solitary electron makeup of a cosmic ray that to us now is still unknown. Although we do know that cosmic rays also emit from suns in times of solar flares, I am sure the Destiny is tracking the cosmic rays that are of anti matter and coming from the depths of the universe that are unknown but I think the show covers this. So, I am not sure, if it is picked back up, that it will point to the hand of God. For some reason that is so not Stargate! I think the whole purpose of the show was to show the infinite possibilities of time and space and to let that go would take away a key element of the franchise.
                              sigpic
                              Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                              "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                              etc.....

Comment

My thoughts are they could but wouldn't, I think that the ancients were INCREDIBLY impatient when it came to stuff like that, as indicated by all the 'failed' experiments the Atlantis expedition fixed. Terraforming would take a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X