Did the Ancients terraform planets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Ancients terraform planets?

Did they even have the technology to do so?

Why not, they are Ancients

Comment

They make universes in bottles, why not terraform a planet?
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The Dakara device would be my best bet on the Ancients terra forming..
        sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

they probably would have been able to, and stuffed it up somehow and refused to fix it knowing the ancients
          sigpic

Comment

I only ask, because a lot of the planets the Ancients seeded life on had plentiful woodlands and greenery. I know the show production reason for this, but I wonder if the Ancients didn't turn some of these planets from barren rock to the supporters of life we see today.

Comment

Well... The planets in SGU seems pretty barren too me... No Dakara device = no life in to many places... I mean, the device can destroy everything in a galaxy.. And it can make human life... It should have a terra forming device in it..
              sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Rasunda View Post
                Well... The planets in SGU seems pretty barren too me... No Dakara device = no life in to many places... I mean, the device can destroy everything in a galaxy.. And it can make human life... It should have a terra forming device in it..
                Well, I would bet that the Ancients intended to build a Dakara-like device to populate/give life to the planets that the gate seeding ships seeded, but they never got around to it, just like how they never got around to occupying Destiny.
                sigpic
                Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Rickington View Post
                  Well, I would bet that the Ancients intended to build a Dakara-like device to populate/give life to the planets that the gate seeding ships seeded, but they never got around to it, just like how they never got around to occupying Destiny.
                  The Ancients didn't get around to alot of things

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by Rickington View Post
                    The problem with this idea is that the Stargates seeded for the Destiny Mission have a very limited range - only a handful of Stargates are within range of one another. Therefore, the Ancients would have had to have put a Dakara device on just about every planet.

Indeed, it is possible that the Destiny Mission predates the technology used for the Dakara device. After all, the first confirmed use of the device at Dakara was to re-seed the galaxy with life after the plague, and it is quite likely that the Destiny predates said plague by several million years.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

So, there is no definitive proof that they did?

Comment

Well terraforming is not a very difficult process, even in real life we could possible do things to make a planet more habitable.. e.g. free up water at the poles which may be frozen, introduce bacteria that could possible produce C02 etc so the ancients with their infinite technology could without a doubt.

They probably have some technology similar to the touchstone from early SG1...
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
                          So, there is no definitive proof that they did?
                          It is known that the Dakara device was used to recreate life in the Milky Way Galaxy after the Plague. Additionally, there was the line in "Rising," "...in the hope of spreading new life in a galaxy where there appeared to be none. Soon the new life grew, prospered" (here). It is up to you to decide whether this counts as terraforming.

As for changing atmospheric composition and other such "large scale" projects, I will point out that most planets in the Milky Way and Pegasus look like Canadian forests, which Universe shows to be the exception outside of Ancient-controlled space, rather than the rule.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I believe the Ancients must have been capable of terraforming worlds, for the same reasons as Puddle-Jumper states in his post above.

Where was it stated that Dakara could seed a galaxy with life, by which I mean start from scratch, with no Human biological material present to start with on any world where Human life evolves?

As far as I'm aware all Dakara could do was break down the bonds between cells, atoms, etc.
                            I always thought that the Ancients either created less evolved Alterans in labs and then placed them on various worlds or they left the necessary DNA material and a catalyst of some kind to allow for evolution of biological material until it formed into Humans.
                            Maybe giving the process a little nudge in the right direction if things went in an unexpected direction.
                            I guess they could have even manipulated the biology of alien worlds to form Human life where they chose to (provided those worlds were too inhospitable ).
                            I don't see how Dakara could be used to start life on a world, not without DNA that resembles what's inside us all as a base point to start from.
                            A dead world with nothing living on it would just have nothing to work with.

Could some kind of Matter Conversion process be used as a part of the process?
                            I guess I could kinda believe Dakara could maybe do the whole thing if it's capable of changing atomic structures besides the basic breaking apart of atoms that are joined together.

Comment

Although I would side on the concencous that the Ancients did or can terraform planets we have not seen any mention of this in SG-1. However its down to iterpretation, the Dakara weapon could be discribed as a terraformation tool as such.

Comment

Working...
                              X