My Journey through Supernatural - episode by episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Journey through Supernatural - episode by episode

Okay so I saw this idea being done on the SG1 forum so I decided to steal for this cos it seemed like a good idea.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/5...ode-by-episode

Okay so recently a number of my friends have gotten into this show and I decided to follow suit and borrowed the DVD's from a friend and Im giving them a watch, Ive never seen the show before so please minimum spoilers but they seem to enjoy it up in the other subforums so hey why not here right

S01E01 - Pilot

Straight away Im going to say that I really enjoyed this episode, I finished watching it about ten minutes ago and dispite it being 1:37am over here Im definetly going to watch the next as soon as Im done here.

Okay so first critiqué.... The episode was a tad predicatable, the second Sam's girlfriend was introduced I knew she was going the way of the mother, but then again in a pilot things need to have a degree of predicatability, especially in order to set up the shows episodic format, but all the same very good episode. The woman in white was a good villian, and I liked how it wasn't the standard jilted lover ghost story, that she had murdered her own children really put a bit of a darker twist onto things.

I also found it interesting that the show doesn't totally ignore the real life aspects of doing something like they do, the credit card scams and what not, just for me made the show a bit grittier, and a bit more realistic, as opposed to something like charmed which is what I was afraid the show may be like. I loved the back and forth between Sam and Dean, really entertaining.. it always helps when you can crack a smile in between the murdering and ghosts right.

Acting wise cant fault anyone, there wasn't any stand out moments, but it there wasn't any bad ones either, and its always nice to see Jamil Walker Smith (Greer on SGU) in a less serious crazed gunman role hah. The music I also loved, highway to hell, fantastic song and very fitting for the show I thought

Overall, good episode, it did an excellent job of setting the tone and atmosphere of the show and Im looking forward to watching more.

8/10
    Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 30 June 2010, 04:21 PM.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

It took me ages to watch SPN and, guiltily I have to admit, it was squealing fangirls that tended to keep me away. Now, I kind of am one...sigh. Dignity is a hard thing to hang onto

I agree with you both on the somewhat predictability of the first ep, but I think that it was well set up in any case. I also loved their crimes as a way to finance what they do; it did give a very real feel to it (and it's odd that it kept reminding me of the guys that I grew up with, to the point that I kept looking over at whoever I was watching it with at the time and sharing A Look, as we remembered this or that person).

I won't spoil a thing but I'll gladly tag along with you for your journey
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

S01E02 - Wendigo

Straight away, excellent episode.

Really enjoyed it, and it was actually pretty scary.. they really were able to create a a great atmosphere for the episode, not to mention the whole cloverfield-esque (which really came from Alien in the 70's but who's counting eh) menthod of not showing the actual monster to increase the scarness factor really worked.. for me anyway

I loved how the diary was introduced into it, and the fact that there was a well thought out mythology behind the monster they were hunting, and how we get to see a bit more of just how well the brothers were trained by their father, and it was great that they were acknowleding what had happened in the episodes previous, which is so easy to forget about in an episodic format like this.

The forest environment was great, made for some fantastic shots, and the acting was pretty good throughout, I especially liked the cameos from 2 battlestar alumi, Doc Cottle who was chain smoking as usual, makes you wonder if its a requirement for his roles, and Leoben the Cylon not to mention the part at the start by Cory Monteith (Finn from Glee) which I thought was funny because the Woman in White in the pilot bore a striking resemblence to Lea Michele (Rachel in Glee)

Overall excellent episode, much better then the first and I think my addiction to the show is beginning

9/10
      Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 26 June 2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
        It took me ages to watch SPN and, guiltily I have to admit, it was squealing fangirls that tended to keep me away. Now, I kind of am one...sigh. Dignity is a hard thing to hang onto

I agree with you both on the somewhat predictability of the first ep, but I think that it was well set up in any case. I also loved their crimes as a way to finance what they do; it did give a very real feel to it (and it's odd that it kept reminding me of the guys that I grew up with, to the point that I kept looking over at whoever I was watching it with at the time and sharing A Look, as we remembered this or that person).

I won't spoil a thing but I'll gladly tag along with you for your journey

I think I may end up in the same boat as you and other screaming fan girls... if only this damn penis weren't in the way

Comment

Hey, great idea. I've been wanting to do my own rewatch and it's so much more fun to do it with more people. But it usually fell apart pretty soon. So this is actually really good, for you to set the speed and we can just jump in here and comment. Oh, and it'll be interesting to see a guy's take on the show.

I must say I only liked the pilot on the re-watch. I had seen a few later random eps before starting from the beginning, and it was kinda hard to go back to the boys when they were not 'clicking' the way they were later. I also found in this show the first time you see an ep you get so caught up in the storyline you tend to miss out on the more character driven moments that push the overall arch.

Wendigo really did it for me, though. I like the more 'earthy' fell there is to facing 'corporeal' monsters rather than spirits. It was interesting when you said the fact they didn't really show the monster was an interesting effect. Actually, I read somewhere that they weren't happy with the way the Wendigo turned out, so that was born out of necessity rather than choice. But it sure worked.

I also think the acting throughout the show - with very few exceptions - is well above par, not only of the regulars but the guests as well. The old man who was mauled by the Wendigo as a kid was one example. I think he did a wonderful job at portraying his trauma, and made what the boys were facing very real.

BTW, I'm really impressed with you being able to identify all those actors from other shows. I don't watch much TV, so I only recognize regulars from SG-1 and SGA - and there'll be quite a few of those, incl. Teryl Rothery and the guy who was Laden Radim (I'm terrible with actors' names). Is there a thread here for that kind of stuff? If not we should start one called 'where do I know them from' or something.

sigpic
          Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Wendigo was one of my favorite episodes and it's what really sold me on the series. It definitely sold me on the characters. With some shows, it takes years to develop the quirks, the in-jokes, but with SPN, they went there right from the beginning, shamelessly. I love that
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Ooh, this should be interesting. I know if a year ago (when I 'found' Supernatural), I had written up my thoughts on the show immediately after seeing each episode, those reviews and critiques would be COMPLETELY different from how I would do so now!

Case in point, like many I am in the middle of my own summer re-watch of all episodes. I am currently halfway through season 2. My favourite season by far. I have seen each of these epsiodes a dozen times. But sitting down and watching them in order, I am still discovering new things that make me love this show all the more. Certain episodes I always considered to be weaker ones? When you put them in the context of the series as a whole, you find scenes that suddenly show a whole new level of importance and poignancy.

Plus like someone else said, the first time through, you are just trying to comprehend the main storyline, it's the subsequent viewings where you see Jensen and Jared's skill in non-verbal acting and comedic timing.

So, yes, I am very interested in following you on this journey, PuddleJumper! It's a whole new perspective discussing the show with a newcomer!

Oh! And a couple OT points here:

Spoiler:
              1. Just because the snotty, detail-oriented (read: OCD) part of me has to correct this, it is generally Jaws, not Alien, that is credited as being the 70's pioneer in proving 'the less you see, the scarier. And like Wendigo, it was unintentional, the shark just didn't work.

2. stars, I know I would love to join in on a "Where do I know them from?" thread. It's kind of an idiot savant thing I have going on. I freakishly remember actors I've seen before and because I watched Sliders, X-Files, SG-1, SGA, Smallville....I especially know most the Vancouver character actors, even before I see them because I know a lot of them by name!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                Just because the snotty, detail-oriented (read: OCD) part of me has to correct this, it is generally Jaws, not Alien, that is credited as being the 70's pioneer in proving 'the less you see, the scarier. And like Wendigo, it was unintentional, the shark just didn't work.
                Touché... Your right on that, but never been a Jaws fan so Alien was really the one that did it for me (Im only 20 so I may yet become a Jaws fan we'll see.. maybe a similar thread to this if theres ever a Jaws subforum )

Didn't watch any supernatural today cos Ive been out all day and pubbing tonight but hopefully at least another 10 episodes in the next week.

Comment

S01E03 - Dead In The Water

Funny you should mention Jaws, Crichiel, given the opening of this episode.

Nice to see Amy Acker ( Angel, Dollhouse) in a non Joss Whedon orientated role, Ive always had a soft spot for her, and once again the main characters fraudulent methods of getting around never ceases to keep me entertained.

The episode was a bit slow moving and a tad cliché at first with the strange boy predicting the future via drawings and then the "being caught impersonating government officials" again (which was unnecessary), though as it progressed it surprised me by putting a new twist on an wornout idea.

I have to say though, Im becoming more and more fond of Sam and Dean as the episodes go on, though their method of running into situations with dangerous evil spirits with no more then their wits seems to be a bit ill thought out... Im hoping for more of the stuff from Wendigo, dealing with protection symbols, mythology behind creatures etc, but Ive 5 seasons to go so Im sure Ill get plenty of it.

Overall a fine and enjoyable episode, that started out slow.

7/10
                  Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 30 June 2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

S01E04 - Phantom Traveller

"Wow, time really does fly"

A really great episode, right from the opening it drew me in and kept me there right till the end. It was fantastic to see that not every episode begins with the Winchester brothers just happening to stumble across a series of mysterious murders, that the writers have other plot devices ito start an episode with, in this case a previous client contacting them again.

What I really found interesting about this episode was how it handled the baddie of the week in such a different way to the previous 3 episodes, how science is kinda worked into the the continuity of a bad guy, that suphur residue points to demonic possesion, Deans homemade EMF detector and such, as a complete and total nerd its good to see that again the writers are building up a repetoire of facts and gadgets for the brothers to have at their disposal and that not every mystery is going to be solved by talking to some locals and reading their fathers diary.

First episode that I didn't immediately recognise one of the guest actors from another show though Ill try not to hold it against the episode. It was great to see them actually putting a little bit of work into their disguises too, and come on.. who doesn't love a guy in a suit.

Overall good episode, good villian, solid plot

8/10

Comment

So far, puddle-jumper, you seem to be right along the lines that I was when I started with each of these episodes. I like that you really seem to be keeping an open mind as you watch. Especially since it IS a first season, there will of course be the occasional misstep while they are finding their feet. Although one thing that got me hooked so fast on this show was just how quickly things fell into place, and how few average to below average episodes they put out.

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                        So far, puddle-jumper, you seem to be right along the lines that I was when I started with each of these episodes. I like that you really seem to be keeping an open mind as you watch. Especially since it IS a first season, there will of course be the occasional misstep while they are finding their feet. Although one thing that got me hooked so fast on this show was just how quickly things fell into place, and how few average to below average episodes they put out.
                        Even though Ive seen only 4 episodes, I think I know what you mean about falling into place, I think Im starting to see the beginning of something to do with hell/satan as a subplot. But no one comment on this as I want to be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                          S01E02 - Wendigo

Straight away, excellent episode.

Really enjoyed it, and it was actually pretty scary.. they really were able to create a a great atmosphere for the episode, not to mention the whole cloverfield-esque (which really came from Alien in the 70's but who's counting eh) menthod of not showing the actual monster to increase the scarness factor really worked.. for me anyway

I loved how the diary was introduced into it, and the fact that there was a well thought out mythology behind the monster they were hunting, and how we get to see a bit more of just how well the brothers were trained by their father, and it was great that they were acknowleding what had happened in the episodes previous, which is so easy to forget about in an episodic format like this.

The forest environment was great, made for some fantastic shots, and the acting was pretty good throughout, I especially liked the cameos from 2 battlestar alumi, Doc Cottle who was chain smoking as usual, makes you wonder if its a requirement for his roles, and Leoben the Cylon not to mention the part at the start by Cory Monteith (Finn from Glee) which I thought was funny because the Woman in White in the pilot bore a striking resemblence to Lea Michele (Rachel in Glee)

Overall excellent episode, much better then the first and I think my addiction to the show is beginning

9/10
                          This show got me at about this point when it first aired. There was something so fresh and different about the show's approach that kept me going back for more.

I always enjoy reading peoples' takes on seeing a favourite show of mine for the first time, as it reminds me again of what I love about the shows. Not many shows have grabbed my attention like SPN has, and within the first couple of episodes especially!

Comment

S01E05 - Bloody Mary

Not the strongest episode... A mirror haunted by the woman that originally started the bloody mary legend coincidentally gets moved to a town full of people who all seem to have covered up a murder at some point in their past which just happens to be her exact victim of choice... hmmm I don't buy it

I liked that we finally got to see a bit more on Sam and his feelings about what happened to his girlfriend, and the writers certainly had the right idea on putting Sam in a situation where his feelings would be 'mirrored' in another character.

There was plenty of things though to leave down the episodes concept, the scene were the teenage girl was killed could have been taken from literally any of the 'I know who you screamed last scary summer'

Overall a good concept executed very poorly

5/10

Comment

S01E06 - Skin

"You mean like a Vulcan mind meld?"

Definetly a step up from 'Bloody Mary', and it was nice to see the brothers tackling a foe that isn't immune to a fist fight or hand guns.

The villian here was great, his speech when he was in Deans form about his origins was fantastic, and including evolution into it gave it a nice little twist on the 'supernatural' too, though I have to say we never got an explanation on why he chose to kill in the way that he did...

It was great that the episode touched on how Sam lives his life now, the lies he tells to his friends, and all in all I really thought it had a sorta... X-files-esque feel the episode, especially with the transformation scene.

Overall, very good, had a few 'Lets split up to catch the shapeshifter WTF!" moments for me, but still good.

8/10

Comment

Working...
                              X