Wray's 'Negotiation' Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wray's 'Negotiation' Skills

Does she actualy have any? The only thing that she was actualy supposed to be good at and she flails miserably, as per usual. She really is useless.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Who said she was "supposed to be good at it"? Not only did she not do a great job, but you could physically see how uncomfortable she was in the situation and especially once the dead body was brought in.

People harp on constantly about how "she's just an HR rep!" and such, so why is it such a life-altering surprise when she does a mediocre job acting as a negotiator?

Maybe negotiating isn't her thing? Maybe she'll do better the next time she has to negotiate? Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing where her character goes than writing her off as definitively useless just yet.
    Last edited by Coronach; 12 June 2010, 04:50 AM.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

I don't think Wray failed miserably, although I do believe that she got her eyes opened for her. She was working with Young for once and that was really something. I think she went into this very naive. Her bit about refusing to wear a vest, for one. She's still thinking she's dealing with nice rational people that can be talked to, but she keeps trying. Kiva's dialogue, and the final bit where they traded a dead soldier's body, really sent it home, hopefully. Altogether, I think that Wray, like Young, did the best she could with a crappy situation. I'm actually kind of impressed with her.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Pitty she didn't get shot.

Comment

I like what you say about Wray, I've felt she is completely in the past few episodes, always stepping in and trying to throw a wrench in getting things done. I was hoping Kiva would have just shot her. But I can see where the writers are taking her as being so naive and now having a nice dose of reality set in. I bet her character comes back stronger next season. Time will tell.

Comment

Wray should take Negotiation tips from Korben Dallas..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKwg6W05MU
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              I don't think Wray failed miserably, although I do believe that she got her eyes opened for her. She was working with Young for once and that was really something. I think she went into this very naive. Her bit about refusing to wear a vest, for one. She's still thinking she's dealing with nice rational people that can be talked to, but she keeps trying. Kiva's dialogue, and the final bit where they traded a dead soldier's body, really sent it home, hopefully. Altogether, I think that Wray, like Young, did the best she could with a crappy situation. I'm actually kind of impressed with her.
              This is the part of her character that I hate the most. Compared to everyone else with speaking lines, she comes across as being the most sheltered, yet she has the biggest bark. If she wasn't as naive (or optimistic on the levels of Ford) or didn't suffer so badly from "priviledged b!tch" syndrome, she may be a likable character for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Wray should take Negotiation tips from Korben Dallas..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKwg6W05MU
                /approve of this post

Seriously though, Wray is not a trained negotiator, so it's not exactly a surprise that she failed.

On a side note as to why she failed: Kiva is insane.

Comment

She's a human resources bureaucrat, not a hostage negotiator. So, in light of that, her attempt was fine. Unsuccessful, of course, but she did what she could.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

She talked big but faltered under pressure. Go figure, she's your regular bureaucrat.
                    sigpic

Comment

IMO the writers have never been especially good at writing negotiation scenes. The characters never come out looking as strong or as good as they couldve, as writers themselves arent professional negotiators. That said Wray wasnt supposed to be a pro at negotiating with ruthless villans, and was supposed to be a bit niave. Though i did think refusing to wear the vest went a little far.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                        IMO the writers have never been especially good at writing negotiation scenes. The characters never come out looking as strong or as good as they couldve, as writers themselves arent professional negotiators. That said Wray wasnt supposed to be a pro at negotiating with ruthless villans, and was supposed to be a bit niave. Though i did think refusing to wear the vest went a little far.
                        refusing to wear the vest was classic Wray though and fit very well with how they've written the character. Even Scott mentioned that Young didn't think she would take it but to try anyway
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          refusing to wear the vest was classic Wray though and fit very well with how they've written the character. Even Scott mentioned that Young didn't think she would take it but to try anyway
                          Yeah. But Kiva sounds too psychotic not to want to at least wear a vest around.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, it's a first part of a 2 parter so yes everybody failed. Young venting of room and hostage exchanged failed so has his introduction of Greer as a medic. Wray negociation failed. Even Telford plan failed. Don't worry the good guys will win at the end.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I was going to say, if we're going to list peopl who've failed, I like Young but we need to put him front and center as the man who single handedly boned this thing. He failed to make the correct call twice. Once because Telford was in danger. And the second time because TJ an his child were in danger. Greer needs to take Young under his wing apparently.

I don't really think Wray failed to be quite honest with you. She had no bargaining position and Kiva understood this. She chose Wray because she could be trusted not to pull a gun on her and because she knew she could scare her. And to be honest, most negotiotiations are kind of like that. Two sides talking (because its better for the moment) but one side having a distinct advantage.

And that said, I don't think things like this are going to keep "scaring" Wray. I think she'll learn to swim.

Comment

Working...
                              X