Communication stones issues and glitches in Subversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication stones issues and glitches in Subversion

I love the show, You all know the Cap'n is a superfan (So much so I just started singing "Superfan" to the tune of "Superfreak"). I feel the ball was dropped in a few basic areas involving body swaps.

First off, Rush should have still had a Scottish accent in telford's body. Mind you, he would have a Scottish accent and telford's voice, but an accent that should have been mentioned as the tip-off to kiva that it wasn't telford. Either that or show Robert Carlyle's chops at doing an American accent.

Secondly, we have already seen that Rush is no match physically for Young. How was Telford able to put up an effective defense against Young? I know we saw Rush able to take out people with surprise attacks, but Young should have been able to beat him handedly.

Opinions? Arguments? ponies?

Also, a bit of speculation
    Spoiler:
    the reason telford keeps passing off memories is because in reality, he has a Goa'Uld in his head

Telford is a trained fighter, so even in Rush's body he'd probably be able to hold his own with Young at least for a little. I'm sure if Greer didn't intervene, Young would have gained the upper hand eventually.

As far as the accent thing, that's too nit picky for me to worry about, lolz.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
      I love the show, You all know the Cap'n is a superfan (So much so I just started singing "Superfan" to the tune of "Superfreak"). I feel the ball was dropped in a few basic areas involving body swaps.

First off, Rush should have still had a Scottish accent in telford's body. Mind you, he would have a Scottish accent and telford's voice, but an accent that should have been mentioned as the tip-off to kiva that it wasn't telford. Either that or show Robert Carlyle's chops at doing an American accent.

Secondly, we have already seen that Rush is no match physically for Young. How was Telford able to put up an effective defense against Young? I know we saw Rush able to take out people with surprise attacks, but Young should have been able to beat him handedly.

Opinions? Arguments? ponies?

Also, a bit of speculation
      Spoiler:
      the reason telford keeps passing off memories is because in reality, he has a Goa'Uld in his head
      I agree with that last statement. It was the first thing that came to mind...

Comment

Not really, since the accent is what our mind tell our vocal apparel (lips, tongue, etc) how to move. A german should have a perfect german accent in an American body.

Telford knows better fighting techniques.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

About Telford beating up Young:

Telford blindsided him for one thing, and Young wasn't out for blood this time. He was there to try to break him mentally, so I would imagine that Young would have deliberatly fought to a standstill, had Greer not opened a can of whoop ass.

Comment

To be honest the lack of accents when in a different body is the least of the issues when it comes to that technology. I honestly don't think that swapping into a new body would be as simple as they make out e.g. the simple differences in body shapes would probably be enough to require at least some time to adapt before you can go off wandering around without a problem.

As Major_Griff has already said Telford is likely to be trained in fighting techniques so even in Rush's body will likely be able to cause some damage. It however was probable Young would have gained the upper hand before too long had Greer and Scott not intervened.

Comment

Agreed, Telford knows how to fight and Rush doesn't, put jackie chan in an average guys body and he will kick most peoples asses in the world, even though the average guy would get murdered if he tried on his own.

Oh and your "spoiler" is wrong, the SGC checks every team member with an MRI when they get back from missions. Not possible. Plus since they suspected him of being a traitor they would have put him through all sorts of extra tests just to be sure and that would have been on the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                Not really, since the accent is what our mind tell our vocal apparel (lips, tongue, etc) how to move. A german should have a perfect german accent in an American body.
                That is exactly what I was saying, I believe you have misread my statement and are agreeing by disagreeing. The VOICE would be the body owners voice because speaking voice is mainly a trigger of the bodies natural muscle reflexes. The ACCENT would be the body "loaners" so to speak.

Comment

That is exactly what I was saying, I believe you have misread my statement and are agreeing by disagreeing. The VOICE would be the body owners voice because speaking voice is mainly a trigger of the bodies natural muscle reflexes. The ACCENT would be the body "loaners" so to speak.
                  I probably did. I'm sorry. But we shouldn't see the loaner anyway. I guess Rush is good at doing the american accent then.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I think Young wanted Telford to beat on him, because of how pissed he was when scott and greer ran in

Comment

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
                      Agreed, Telford knows how to fight and Rush doesn't, put jackie chan in an average guys body and he will kick most peoples asses in the world, even though the average guy would get murdered if he tried on his own.
                      The technique is not in question, but the fact is, Rush's body is not trained to successfully perform military fighting maneuvers. I can understand with how short the fight was being understandable.

For example, I am trained in Zui Quan. Someone Else's body would not have as easy of a time performing certain fighting moves. Hell, since I have gotten fatter and married I can't even perform some moves as well.

Comment

Oh and your "spoiler" is wrong, the SGC checks every team member with an MRI when they get back from missions. Not possible.
                        Since when?

Plus since they suspected him of being a traitor they would have put him through all sorts of extra tests just to be sure and that would have been on the top of the list.
                        When exactly would they have run these tests on him? It wasn't until Young told O'Neill that anyone on Earth would have had any suspicions about Telford, and by that point Rush was already off to set up a meet with the Lucian Alliance and get himself captured.

Comment

Oh and your "spoiler" is wrong, the SGC checks every team member with an MRI when they get back from missions. Not possible. Plus since they suspected him of being a traitor they would have put him through all sorts of extra tests just to be sure and that would have been on the top of the list.
                          The system lords have been defeated, I don't think they perform that check any more. Kind of like when they decrease the airport "threat level" our embassies get bombed.

Comment

Its true that it should really be difficult to fool anyone that knows you when you body swap because you would have to impersonate the voice of your swap body which is difficult to do (except for a few good comedians).

Though having the same vocal apparel may help a bit when trying to impersonate somebody else. For an obvious example, it should be easier for a woman to impersonate a man in a man body. So it's easier to impersonate Obama's voice in Obama's body.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                              Since when?.
                              Since pretty early in SG-1. I'm not sure about the MRI thing, but I know that SG team members get checked for entry marks on the back of the neck and in the throat to ensure they don't have a snake. I wouldn't be surprised if the MRI thing was also established in cannon, I just can't remember for sure.

Perfecto!

Comment

Working...
                              X