Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... uh... what happened to travelling between galaxies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    Which is ironic, seeing as people were complaining about too much "survival" stuff in the first half of the season... and people are now complaining that there's no enough of it.
    Which goes to show you that there is always going to be a segment of viewers that are never going to happy with whatever SGU does.

Comment

Was it stated how long it would take to travel the void? we've seen laspes of a few weeks between episodes before so perhaps this was 4 or 5 weeks later..
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
        Was it stated how long it would take to travel the void? we've seen laspes of a few weeks between episodes before so perhaps this was 4 or 5 weeks later..
        Most people have been using TJ as a chronometer for the passage of time between "Lost" and "Pain." Of course, we have no way of knowing how long they have been in the new galaxy at the time of "Pain," but she was a 22 weeks at the time of "Lost," meaning about 25 weeks at the end of "Sabotage."

That, of course, just leaves the question of how far along she is in "Pain."
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I HATE that TPTB omitted the void. There were several stories they could've told, including the "Pain" storyline. They could've discovered a rogue star in the middle of the void that had a gate on it for some reason. There could've been something wrong with the ship that they have to fix. They could've followed up on Franklin disappearing.

All I ask for is common sense in the production of my TV shows. An intergalactic void is something that the Destiny only stumbles upon once every several years, at least. When given something special like the void, the writers should've used it. An episode or two in the void, if done correctly, could've been quite the opposite of boring.

At the very least, they could've made a comment in "Pain" telling us how long it had been since Sabotage.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
            I HATE that TPTB omitted the void. There were several stories they could've told, including the "Pain" storyline. They could've discovered a rogue star in the middle of the void that had a gate on it for some reason. There could've been something wrong with the ship that they have to fix. They could've followed up on Franklin disappearing.

All I ask for is common sense in the production of my TV shows. An intergalactic void is something that the Destiny only stumbles upon once every several years, at least. When given something special like the void, the writers should've used it. An episode or two in the void, if done correctly, could've been quite the opposite of boring.

At the very least, they could've made a comment in "Pain" telling us how long it had been since Sabotage.
            Agreed, im disapointed that they didnt make more of this. Looks like the gap between seasons covering the journey from one galaxy to another idea has been shelved by TPTB.
            Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Pain just feels so dis-jointed from the rest of the episodes, like the lost episode that they forgot about, got to 19 episodes filmed, and went back to make up the quota, people would have screamed 'filler' if they had done a whole episode in the void? Guess what, they're screaming 'filler' at Pain because it feels like more of a slap in the space in that they've spent 2/3 episodes setting up a pretty large event in the lives of these people we're supposed to be getting invested in, and then dismiss it without so much as a expositional piece of dialogue.
              This would have been MUCH better being set during the void, at least then the whole thing of them being in the void could have been a mis-direct while they try to figure out what's causing people to be affected by the hallucinations, it could have been explained away that the ticks were hatched from eggs on some fruit that they had stored or something like that to explain why no one was affected until they were part way through the void.
              You don't setup something like the travel between galaxies and then dismiss it, it's poor writing, especially when it's on a show that's trying to establish continuity and not have stand alone episodes.
              I'm curious to know the production order this episode was filmed in, as i said, it feels like the episode was tacked on to make up the 20 episode season order and they run out of ideas (and maybe because of Huffman's progress at the time they decided they couldnt place the episode earlier in the season? - in which case a good writer can cover that up).

Comment

Yeah this is the perfect story to have done in the void, which makes it extremely puzzling as to why they skipped over the void. They could have easily said they picked up the ticks either on the planet from Human or Scott, Eli and Chloe could have brought them back from the planet they were on when they gated back to Destiny.

Perfecto!

Comment

What possible reason would there be to have set the episode in the void apart from to satisfy the people who think it's vitally important to have an episode set there? The void is a massive empty gap between galaxies, there's nothing at all there, running into anything would have been so improbable it's not even funny. So the only difference between having set this episode in the new galaxy rather than the void is that placing it in the new galaxy let's them use the stargate to set up both the initial infection by the ticks and the poignant ending where we can see that despite the dangers of stepping through the gate they're gonna keep doing it. To have set the episode in the void there would need to have been a logical and compelling storytelling reason to do so, and in this instance I can't see that there was one.

To be honest I don't really see what all the fuss about the void is anyway. It's only been mentioned because they have to travel through it to get from one galaxy to another, other than that it's of no interest whatsoever. On top of that I'm fairly sure it's been said that the plan is for the Destiny to jump galaxies on a fairly regular basis, i.e. you're not gonna have whole seasons set in one galaxy, so as long as SGU stays on the air there's gonna be plenty of other opportunities to have a story set in the thrilling environment of a sealed spaceship hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of light years from anything else at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    Yeah this is the perfect story to have done in the void, which makes it extremely puzzling as to why they skipped over the void. They could have easily said they picked up the ticks either on the planet from Human or Scott, Eli and Chloe could have brought them back from the planet they were on when they gated back to Destiny.
                    Maybe because TNG, Voyager and Enterprise all had similar themed episodes and on Destiny they are always in a void. Food is always short. Destiny decides when to stop and let them gate somewhere.

Comment

I don't know that ST is really a great comparison here. In Voyager they were 70,000 light years from home., so there was never technically a void like we see in SGU that covers, potentially millions of light years.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I didn't realize that a lot of time had passed. My interpretation was that the tick came from the planet seen in "Lost." Individuals involved with the mission were affected. Many have said that the trip through the void would take a lot of time, but I think it's instead a short trip.

My theory is that traveling through a galaxy is rather slow, due to numerous gravity wells, course changes, and stops to gate different addresses. The constant starting and stopping is a rather slow process, however, when your in a void, you don't have to start then stop. You can continually accelerate, and since there's no friction in space, your speed can continue to multiply. You can then slow down safely once you enter a new galaxy. If you were to travel at a very high speed, only to stop suddenly, the occupants in the ship would maintain their motion and essentially be crushed. This is to assume that the internal dampeners of Destiny is not as advance as the internal dampeners seen on Asgard ships. The FTL trip could very well have taken a month or 2, and the tick could have been in a larval form or egg form, which just hatched.

I may have missed something, but that was my interpretation after seeing the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by wingsabre View Post
                          My theory is that traveling through a galaxy is rather slow, due to numerous gravity wells, course changes, and stops to gate different addresses. The constant starting and stopping is a rather slow process, however, when your in a void, you don't have to start then stop. You can continually accelerate, and since there's no friction in space, your speed can continue to multiply. You can then slow down safely once you enter a new galaxy. If you were to travel at a very high speed, only to stop suddenly, the occupants in the ship would maintain their motion and essentially be crushed. This is to assume that the internal dampeners of Destiny is not as advance as the internal dampeners seen on Asgard ships. The FTL trip could very well have taken a month or 2, and the tick could have been in a larval form or egg form, which just hatched.
                          That's assuming our current knowledge of physics applies to Destiny's FTL technology. Using thrust motion and in a straight line. I don't seem to spot any rudders or directional flaps on the ship. It'll be more sci-fi worthy if there is the possibilities of wormholes and timespace distortion or something that gets from A to B without conventional thrust phsycis. Oh and don't forget about that dark matter that's been proven on tv that we can't see but is present in space. Maybe that's got something to do with it.

Comment

Let's just pretend the episode was run out of order, like the Affinity-Covenant debacle on SG-1.

Comment

I don't hate that a lot of time wasn't spent on the void. It's a void, with nothing in it...boring.

That being said I would have liked to have had one of SGU's famous montage scenes that in 1 minute let us know that 5-8 weeks had passed, just for effect!
                              sigpic

Comment

Void. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Comment

Working...
                                X