Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Naqudah became Earth's main energy source.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Naqudah became Earth's main energy source.

After watching the movie Avatar especially and given our demand for resources, what would have happened if the lid is finally open on the Stargate program and humanity as a whole switches to Naquadah as the primary energy source for Earth's civilization. Would Earth not require huge off-world mining operations to get the stuff? I mean one thing is to mine the mineral to build ships and your random generator for an off-world facility and quite another to use it to power our whole civilization . Wouldn't we become the strip miners of the galaxy scouring Naqaudah rich planet after Naquadah rich planet?

Just curious...
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

a small amount generates massive amounts of energy. the asteroid Anubis tossed at us is enough for many years of power

Comment

Which goes to show that there are asteriods out there with it, meaning we wouldn't have to mine it from planets, we could probably deal with asteroids thus not have to rape anyone's planet for resources.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        a small amount generates massive amounts of energy. the asteroid Anubis tossed at us is enough for many years of power
        That asteroid was huge. If that asteroid would only fill the needs of this planet for a decade or less then the amounts required to sustain our current standard of living using Naquadah would be staggering.
        The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

Comment

well i need to do a number check to see the power we use.

however i think naquahdah is not the solution. solar energy is better. and seeing current developments, it only gets better.
          In 2008, total worldwide energy consumption was 474 exajoules (474×10^18 J)
          1.2×10^44 J, the estimated energy released in a supernova
          the asteroid would explode with an energy of a small supernova. say, 10^40 joules are released.

this means that the world can be powered by 2.53x10^19 years. that's *calculates* 25 quintillion (25000 quadrillion)(25 000 000 trillion) years.

that's actually older than the universe.
          Last edited by thekillman; 17 May 2010, 06:13 AM.

Comment

well i need to do a number check to see the power we use.

however i think naquahdah is not the solution. solar energy is better. and seeing current developments, it only gets better.

the asteroid would explode with an energy of a small supernova. say, 10^40 joules are released.

this means that the world can be powered by 2.53x10^19 years. that's *calculates* 25 quintillion (25000 quadrillion)(25 000 000 trillion) years.

that's actually older than the universe.

Are you telling me that the world consumes more power than what is released in a Supernova?

Comment

no i'm telling you that the asteroid Anubis threw at us can power our planet for the next eternity

Comment

If they needed to mine for Naquadah, It's not like we need to strip mine a planet with inhabitants, forests and stuff. There's plenty of desert planets with Naquadah on them, as well as abandoned Gao'uld mines.
                Why are there six pedals and only four directions?
                -Michael J. Caboose

Sergeant, make it spin.
                Walter - Spin? Si-sir, it doesn't spin.
                What? It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I-I'm the general, I want it to spin. Now!

Comment

Asteroids huh? You know us, we always go for the hard to reach stuff first!
                  sigpic

Comment

asteroids are easier to mine than planets

Comment

Plus, the asteroid couldn't have gone all that far (relatively speaking) in the past few years. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the SGC has been tracking it, at least since we got ships. I know the Unas planet from Enemy Mine is probably our primary source of naquidah, but I wouldn't be surprised if we've retrieved at least a bit from the asteroid already.

Comment

How did you come to that conclusion?
                        sigpic

Comment

well you don't nearly have as much gravity. which means you don't need powerfull cranes. you just deploy a ship next to it, and beam aboard nice cubical chunks. put them in the hangar bay and fly home. or better: toss them through the stargate towards home.

Comment

If it works that way than maybe so.

I would think working in a harsh environment, without atmosphere and limited gravity while traveling through space without a good source of light would be tough. Logistically speaking.
                            sigpic

Comment

yes but you don't need to spend humongous amounts of energy and fuel on entry and re-entry.

also with SG stuff like shields, an atmosphere is easily established.

and if we're talking real life, we'd most likely have robots doing our work. not android stuff but normal industrial ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X