This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTL and Time Dilation.

I don't know if this has been posted. So forgive me if it has been.

I got to thinking about The Return Part 1. The Ancients who were aboard the Tria were in FTL for around 10,000 years but only 5-10 had passed for them I am guessing. Assuming 1 season = 1 year like SG1 and SGA, I am wondering how long the Destiny has spent in FTL and how much time has passed for Earth.

I am wondering if this will be addressed of if TPTB are just going to ignore this.
    Last edited by RepliVeggie; 07 May 2010, 10:50 PM.

Time dilation applies only to traveling near the speed of light. Laws of physics say that travel at/greater than the speed of light is impossible. There's no reason to expect time dilation to factor in at all when the ship travels faster than light. Our understanding of physics simply doesn't cover it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ahh very true. The Tria was traveling at .999 the speed of light. But if time dilation happens at close to the speed of light surely it would happen beyond.

I think this would make for a very good episode.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
        But if time dilation happens at close to the speed of light surely it would happen beyond.
        Except that's an assumption that simply defies everything we understand about physics

And that being the case, there's simply no reason to expect it to happen. We're in fictional territory. It can either happen or not, depending on what the writers want. Either would be acceptable, and entirely as 'realistic'
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yea, like I said would make for a very interesting episode.

It kinda makes sense. I mean we don't know how much faster then light the FTL drive goes. But Lightspeed would take a very long time to crossed a void would it not? It would make sense if less time is passing within the ship so survival makes sense.

The Andromeda galaxy is 2.5million years away from the MW. Even at a million times the speed of light the Destiny would take 2.5 years right? I am sure the crew doesn't have supplies for more a few months I would guess.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
            Yea, like I said would make for a very interesting episode.

It kinda makes sense. I mean we don't know how much faster then light the FTL drive goes. But Lightspeed would take a very long time to crossed a void would it not? It would make sense if less time is passing within the ship so survival makes sense.
            Longer than the show could ever last. Our galaxy is estimated to be 100,000 light-years across. And considering the size of the voids is monumental when compared to the size of galaxies....well, I don't think any show has eons of storytelling in it

Comment

Yea either there has to be some kind of time dilation or the Destiny's FTL is OMG fast. Hyperdrive fast.

Comment

Ahem

Laws of physics say that travel at/greater than the speed of light
                theory of relativity

Comment

Originally posted by Mevi View Post
                  theory of relativity
                  A statement which (appears) to stem from misunderstanding of the word "theory" in a scientific context.

Comment

Not at all. Understanding accepted science is one thing, but to take our science literally and place it into the context of science fiction as fact is absurd. To put it more delicately, I'll borrow from Samantha Carter in Small Victories:

How are we to understand kiron based technology when we don't even know what a kiron is?

Comment

Originally posted by Mevi View Post
                      Not at all. Understanding accepted science is one thing, but to take our science literally and place it into the context of science fiction as fact is absurd. To put it more delicately, I'll borrow from Samantha Carter in Small Victories:

How are we to understand kiron based technology when we don't even know what a kiron is?
                      I'm not even sure what you're arguing, to be honest.

I already said that there's no reason to expect laws of time dilation to apply, because it's fiction and what's happening on screen isn't explainable by physics as we understand it.

And now you're saying the exact same thing to argue with me.

Comment

The ship obviously isn't travelling through space faster than the speed of light, that would be impossible. Hyper drive gets around this by moving a ship into subspace where the speed of light is faster, then dropping out. Another popular idea to get around relativity is to move the ship into a pocket of spacetime, and move that from A to B faster than light would, which could well be how Destiny's FTL works given the graphics. Who knows. What I think the writers are definitely not doing is writing a series in which our understanding of relativity is just plain wrong, more... incomplete.

Comment

A space time pocket could be what is happening with the FTL drive. But then again. A lot of stuff that happens in Stargate is impossible in reality so maybe it is traveling FTL.

Comment

there is NO time dilation!!!!!!! James was in the diasbled chicks body for a few seconds and she was in james's body for a few seconds.....direct correlations. if there was time dilation then chloe, scott and eli would be LONG dead when the destiny dropped out of FTL.

Comment

We know there is no time dilation, the question is why.

Comment

Working...
                              X