This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the communication stones

How the heck do people remember things that happened in another persons body if they were using the others persons senses and brain to experience? Wouldn't the memories formed be stored in the brain of the body's owner? Therefore, having you forget anything that happened as soon as you return to your own body, and having the memories of the time that the other person spent in your body?

Maybe memories are stored in the consciousness as some kind energy signature when using the stones? Kind of like the energy signatures that the gate uses to recognise how to re-construct the matter it brokedown?

Any thoughts?

I know I'm thinking about this too much but I love trying to figure this kind of stuff out in science-fiction.

Presumably you are using your own brain, and it's the electrical signals from the bodies that are being switched.

Comment

The communication stones are one of the plot devices it is best not to ask "how" about. I'm no neuroscientist, but from my understanding your "consciousness" consists of electrical and chemical connections formed within the nervous cells in your brain. Although you could compare the way the brain records and stores information to a computer hard drive, it isn't that simple. If it was, the transfer of consciousness would be as if two hard drives "cut" and "pasted" their information onto each other. The problem is that under a "cut" and "paste" analogy, the brain of a person using a communication stone would undergo an almost instantaneous process by which the majority of nerve cells in their brain would have to disconnect, regrow and rewire. Disconnecting the stones would then strand you in the other consciousness. This can't be how they work.

The best way to think of the stones then is a wireless connection between two computers by which the function of each computer is actually being carried out by the hard drive and other hardware of the other computer. The stones then would essentially be redirecting the sensory perceptions of one person to the brain of another. The command functions of that brain would likewise be redirected back to the other person. So essentially any memory you make would stay in your brain because that is where the memory was recorded in the first place. The idea of residual memories would be the result of errors in the rerouting process.

This still doesn't solve all the problems with understanding the stones - energy powering the connection and transmission are impossible for me to comprehend. My basic approach with the stones has had to be to accept that this is a science fiction show, stop trying to understand everything, and enjoy suspending my tendencies for disbelief.

Comment

a healthy suspension of disbelief is always good
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
          a healthy suspension of disbelief is always good
          And a big giant belief that a wizard frelling did it.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Since no one else has said it. MAGNETS!

Comment

It's quantum mechanics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement A link between particles that distance has no effect on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizerer View Post
                How the heck do people remember things that happened in another persons body if they were using the others persons senses and brain to experience? Wouldn't the memories formed be stored in the brain of the body's owner? Therefore, having you forget anything that happened as soon as you return to your own body, and having the memories of the time that the other person spent in your body?

Maybe memories are stored in the consciousness as some kind energy signature when using the stones? Kind of like the energy signatures that the gate uses to recognise how to re-construct the matter it brokedown?

Any thoughts?

I know I'm thinking about this too much but I love trying to figure this kind of stuff out in science-fiction.
                Simple; you don't remember what the other person does... except occasional manifests in dreams if you use the stones a lot.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Anicients. Big brain. Know lot.

Comment

The idea that your still using your own brain to control the other persons body is interesting. Would explain the need for a constant link rather than a full on switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X