Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going from planet to planet untill you reach destiny.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from planet to planet untill you reach destiny.

Spoilers for Lost.

Spoiler:
    As with the happening in Lost we have the confirmation that the stargate are all linked, not just in a bubble of a hand full of gates. Now, with this, do you think that they will be able to retrace destiny's patch and even plot a probable course so any stranded team can "guess" where destiny will drop out of ftl and gate back home. Opening the possibility to explore world that would be limited do to the destiny going into ftl?

I believe that it will be used probably in the 2nd season so they can explore more worlds.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

If they can access where the Destiny is in a galaxy and where it is going they should be able to do what you say. They could even send a communication stone with an away team so that they can reconnect with Destiny and find their way home. This could open up some interesting ideas for plots!
    sigpic

Comment

I understood that the gate network being established by the seeder ships is limited to gates located on planets in the immediate vicinity. They cannot dial a gate located in a different galaxy.
      sigpic

Comment

Actualy they could, if they feed it alot more power that a standard gate...
        The Ancients had primitive gates when they launched Destiny, so they would have worked around the small range of Earth's gate to dial it someday.

Comment

How do you know they were not looking to replace the mk1 gates that the seeders leave, with the more modern and user friendly mk2s??

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
            Spoilers for Lost.

Spoiler:
            As with the happening in Lost we have the confirmation that the stargate are all linked, not just in a bubble of a hand full of gates.

Sorry but I have to correct you on this. The Destiny model gates seem linked because of their limited range. It doesn't work like: Gate A only connects with Gate B and Gate B only connects with Gate C. It's just that Gate C is out of range of Gate A.

The result? Crossing the galaxy via a giant game of connect-the-dots.
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

That what i said... not just in an bubble of a hand full of completely isolated gates. In the beginning every one thought that there where only lets say 3 gates at all in an area completely isolated from other groups of gates.
              sigpic
              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

They really are isolated. I think it could have been just as likely that there were no planets close enough to dial.

Also, as seen in Lost:

Spoiler:
                The seeder sent gates in a line, not bothering to stop at every star system.

There was also no gaurentee that there would have been suitable planets between Gate A and Gate B so they would not be connected because they are out of range. So if the question is IF they can be connected, it would be yes if they were closer.

But then they probably wouldn't risk it because even if there were gates that they could use to catch up, the planets those gates are on might be toxic.
                My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post

Spoiler:
                  The seeder sent gates in a line, not bothering to stop at every star system.
                  Spoiler:
                  I have a theory as to why the gates are in a line. It was established a while back that there are multiple seeder ships out there in the universe, so there might also be multiple "Destiny" class ships as well. The Destiny is following a pre-determined path (it's probably linked to a specific seeder ship) and as such, only receives info on the Stargates in that path.

Think of it like this: Every seeder ship is a single tooth on a comb. Your hair is the universe. You're able to cover your entire head with this comb because the x-amount of teeth cover more distance than if you used a toothpick. Now imagine a second comb with the same amount of teeth, only finer, that travels in the exact path as the comb before it. These are the Destiny-class ships.

It appears as if these are the only gates in this galaxy because thats all the Destiny can see. It doesn't have the info from the other seeder gates so it can't see the gates right next to it. It's also a possibility that the distance between two "paths" is so great that the Stargates are out of range and the Destiny can't detect them that way either.

Just a theory.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    I have a theory as to why the gates are in a line. It was established a while back that there are multiple seeder ships out there in the universe, so there might also be multiple "Destiny" class ships as well. The Destiny is following a pre-determined path (it's probably linked to a specific seeder ship) and as such, only receives info on the Stargates in that path.

Think of it like this: Every seeder ship is a single tooth on a comb. Your hair is the universe. You're able to cover your entire head with this comb because the x-amount of teeth cover more distance than if you used a toothpick. Now imagine a second comb with the same amount of teeth, only finer, that travels in the exact path as the comb before it. These are the Destiny-class ships.

It appears as if these are the only gates in this galaxy because thats all the Destiny can see. It doesn't have the info from the other seeder gates so it can't see the gates right next to it. It's also a possibility that the distance between two "paths" is so great that the Stargates are out of range and the Destiny can't detect them that way either.

Just a theory.
                    I believe the reason for multiple seeder ships is because they have to fly to the planet to monitor the atmosphere (etc..) and "drop" the gate onto the surface. This would be a slow process versus Destiny which does not have to fly near the planets that have been seeded--it probably can't anyway, otherwise the Destiny gate will dial itself (The SG1: Solitudes effect), but instead (from Elle's explanation) meanders through the galaxy.
                    The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                      Spoiler:

Just a theory.
                      there was only one 9 chevron address. if there was more then one destiny wouldnt there be more 9 chevron addresses.

i agree that destiny would need several seeder ships. just because they have to harvest materials for the gates make the gates (who would think you could automate the 1.0 gates without any defects)

also i remember rush saying when they were trying to get eli and the crew that they didn't think destiny jumped over so many gates

Comment

Not necessarily. There has been a lot wiped fro the ancient database, like info on Janus's projet, Projet Artrus, The Aterro project... So it isn't farfetched to say they also wiped that from the database as well.

Comment

Or this whole thing could be larger than what we think it is. Yes, even larger than scouring the universe and seeding gates!

What if (I'm going WAYYYY out on a limb here) the Destiny is tied to Atlantis? We know that there are several Atlantis class cities, so what if each city had its own Destiny class ship and a seeder ship as well. That way if a hostile alien race were to encounter the ancients and one of the cities was lost, the ancients wouldn't compromise the security of the entire program.

It would also explain why there was only one 9 chevron address in the database. Security.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am not sure the Ancients had the mind set to implement that level of security around a project. Overall there security as always been pretty light.
                            In fact even unlocking the Destiny would be easy if our brains were evolve enough for the job.

Comment

Their only security, most of the times, was secrecy and their incomparable technology level that incapacitated almost all advanced sentient species to discover and reach their projects.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X