Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTL vs Hyperdrive

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: FTL vs Hyperdrive

Yah, I read up on the Alcubierre drive on the Wiki, and I'm pretty sure that was it. (Thanks, Control_Chair!) Still, cheating. :-) Also, the requirements of creating the field pretty much take it out of normal space time by many definitions of normal. For one, the region cannot be entered and left by any known means, making it likely the necessary means would not be consistent with remaining in "normal" spacetime during the transition (as we know most "normal" ways to move around, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    It's not really "normal" if you're stretching the fabric of space behind the ship and shrinking it in front, also it's still not going faster than light within its own region of space. Just a nitpick.
    you are going faster than light but relative to you in the ship youre not so youre actually never breaking any rules within our normal space/time continuum. and im not having a stab at you or anything here but if you are using this method youre going faster than light still in our space time youre not using wormholes or subspace in which there are no rules pretty much youre still traveling within our universe.

Also to michael jansky i think you sort of have the same article i once read i also have seen it talked about on a tv show and my lecturer and i once had a conversation about this very notion of space travel you wouldnt require a bubble because within the area that has been compressed and expanded the space/time fabric is normal and isnt messed with in anyway. compressing and expanding our space/time isnt actual a ridiculous thing a black hole is responsible for both compressing and expanding objects and the very fabric of our universe granted weird things happen around black holes but space time near a balck hole is still intact and normal in a way.

Hi I saw that you guys have similar thoughts as I have so in my opinion:
    hyperdrive is much faster than FTL but it is not suitable for Destiny's mission...in hyperdrive as someone said here you have to know the area you are heading into (you know cause of stars, planets etc....you dont want to jump into planet) and Destiny is traveling through realitively unknown territory so its not so safe, second reason is that in FTL you are not in hyperspace..you are just traveling in normal space (yea according to Einstein you cannot be faster than light but as you said before its using space deformation) and Destiny needs this normal space to scan planets etc if there are still stargates from seed ships and as we know now the Destiny's misson (to learn sth about that secret message from God) Destiny must be still prepared for some unexpected events in space so from hyperspace its not possible to check the ship's ambient or eventually stop and jump out...so these are in my opinion reasons of using FTL insted of HD which seems to be faster but not so effective for Desiny's purpose

Probie

I know I'm pretty late in this but I'm pretty sure I remember Dr. Rush saying that they were traveling "faster then light, yet not through hyperspace". So I would have to say hyperspace is probably faster than FTL

Though Hyperspace is faster than FTL I feel like FTL is more reliable, the hyperdrive ships tend to break down a lot more.

Staff Sergeant

i brought this up in a different thread, but here is my take on FTL vs. HD. Hyperdrives were created to allow quick and fast movements within a relatively small distance within the universe given knowledge of existing star systems, planetary alignment, and gravitational shifts within the same area. FTL is used more for it's economical approach to energy use, grand movements along a larger scope and no knowledge of where anything is, thus the need for the seed ships.

FTL also allows for communications, shields, and possibly weapons(although the weapons have not been tested in FTL), while in hyperspace, only subspace communications are allowed. no shields or weapons can be used. IMHO, the alterans/lanteans/asgard all knew this and used the appropriate drive systems accordingly.
    Last edited by dr.chrismckay; September 18th, 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by rgritt View Post
    Though Hyperspace is faster than FTL I feel like FTL is more reliable, the hyperdrive ships tend to break down a lot more.
    This seems to be true to some degree, though the ftl drives need to be on or off for a specific amount of time.
    Last edited by dr.chrismckay; September 18th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.