Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young is the good guy. Why the majority think different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young is the good guy. Why the majority think different?

this is all wrong. Young is the good guy here. he has flaws, but his intentions are good. Dr. Rush however, his intentions arent even clear, and civilians cant think for themselves clearly. Military has disciplined these soldiers well to be able to handle such circumstances and in very special circumstances such as this to restore order and protect civilians from themselves. i think DIVDED episode actually made Young and the military look good as they were the most reasonable.
    Last edited by Duneknight; 14 April 2010, 03:34 AM.
    sigpic

I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

The thing is, all of them are good guys.
      Spoiler:
      The space aliens, Lucian Alliance- Kiva are bad guys... and maybe even some of them won't turn out to be bad guys at all but just a bunch of interesting people having their own agendas on the show.

It's just whose side you support- all of them have good qualities and all have some bad ones too. Who knows, maybe in season 2 (or the end of season 1) writers will make some
      Spoiler:
      Lucian alliance character or blue alien look as a good guy and Young or Rush as a bad guy.
      You never know. I don't think this show will really portray good vs evil in the way that evil has no redeeming qualities...
      - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Who are the majority? Its really hard to tell on forums like this, where a person can take on multiple personalities to skew their opinions.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Young is pretty much an open book from what we get to see. Rush on the other hand is not.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          this is all wrong. Young is the good guy here. he has flaws, but his intentions are good. Dr. Rush however, his intentions arent even clear, and civilians cant think for themselves clearly. Military has disciplined these soldiers well to be able to handle such circumstances and to in very special circumstances such as this to restore order and protect civilians from themselves. i think DIVDED episode actually made Young and the military look good as they were the most reasonable.
          What is a good guy in this show (and what is a bad guy)?

As you mentioned, HE HAS FLAWS! Right. Surely, he is not a bad person, and clearly not the baddy of the show. In his opinion, he do things right, and often he does. But, this don't mean he does everything right.

The biggest problem, IMO, is his paranoid behaviour against Rush. And he had this problem right from the beginning, which looked for me a little bit forced. The only explanation for this is that there must have happend something before, we still don't know, if you don't want to say he's just insane. But Young's lost it with him completely, and that endangers everybody on that ship.

And even if the military has qualified leaders amoung them (you can find such people also amoung civilians, btw), soldiers are humans, and as you pointed out, humans have flaws, and Young has some severe problems, which makes him not a good leader, even if he's not a bad person.

Sorry, but who says civilians aren't able to think clearly? Those people aren't teenies anymore, they're very much able to think for themselfes. Maybe they just don't want to be Young's little pet soldiers! Which I can understand very well, Young don't know how to give the non military personal the feeling of being accepted in the same way he accepted his own people. Well, of course IMO.
          sigpic

Comment

Young's good guy-ness has never been in doubt to me. And probably the same to others. While I see him as a psycho/favourite character, he's still a good guy.

The thing that probably causes contention is whether or not he's the right guy to be leading. Good, yes. Right, up for many-a-debate between many other groups.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

the way to hell is PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

even more:

good guys do not govern/rule with force (or the threaten people with use of the same)

good guys do not point weapons into peoples direction/faces without cause for the slightest misstake

good guys don't let other people (eli) spy on others (rush)

good guys do not have affairs with junior officers

good guys don't beat up other officers (young beating telford)

good guys do not attempt MURDER

good guys (if military) let the civilians take charge in non fighting situations

etc.

so he ain't a good guy no more, now add that he acts stupidly, is in well over his head, does not have real leadership capabilities and does tend to ignore rules (UCMJ - having sex/relationship with TJ) and you pretty well know why the civilians do not like him and want him to stepp down and the military people to surrender their weapons (they would surely give them the weapons back if there is a need to fight/go of world)

greetings LAX

Comment

As I've mentioned already, I'm solidly in the "Young is a good and decent person" camp. But he has done bad things - affair with someone under his command, jumping Telford (no matter how much I may think he deserved it, the stinker!), leaving Rush and then lying about it.

I love the character, I'm saddened by his flaws, I hope for his growth and redemption. Pretty excellent television, wouldn't you say!
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

this is all wrong. Young is the good guy here. he has flaws, but his intentions are good. Dr. Rush however, his intentions arent even clear, and civilians cant think for themselves clearly. Military has disciplined these soldiers well to be able to handle such circumstances and in very special circumstances such as this to restore order and protect civilians from themselves. i think DIVDED episode actually made Young and the military look good as they were the most reasonable.
                  i agree with you because if it came down to having to choose between someone like young or rush i pick young anyday.
                  sigpic
                  The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I agree. Young FTW.
                    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

If the good guys you know are like Young, I shudder to think what the bad guys are like.

I'm glad you enjoy the character. I think he's a psychotic jackass who should be in the brig for attempted murder. Dunno if the majority thinks that but why do you care so much?

Comment

Their are no good guys. They have both (Rush and Youvng) done some masively questionablr moral activities. That said Young is the lesser of two evils
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                          the way to hell is PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS

even more:

good guys do not govern/rule with force (or the threaten people with use of the same)

good guys do not point weapons into peoples direction/faces without cause for the slightest misstake

good guys don't let other people (eli) spy on others (rush)

good guys do not have affairs with junior officers

good guys don't beat up other officers (young beating telford)

good guys do not attempt MURDER

good guys (if military) let the civilians take charge in non fighting situations

etc.

so he ain't a good guy no more, now add that he acts stupidly, is in well over his head, does not have real leadership capabilities and does tend to ignore rules (UCMJ - having sex/relationship with TJ) and you pretty well know why the civilians do not like him and want him to stepp down and the military people to surrender their weapons (they would surely give them the weapons back if there is a need to fight/go of world)

greetings LAX
                          Ahhhh..... it has been stated that these are the wrong people to be there, they were never to really serve on board Destiny even if Lucian Alliance didn't screw things up.

Young is the only LEADER among them. Military has its chain of command but yet the CIVILIAN personnel is only concerned about being in charge. Rush wants it, the IOA chick wants it, the rest just want someone else to be in charge other then Military. But with Aliens recently attacking Destiny who would you rather have in charge? A Military commander with combat experience or a potentially mad scientist who seems to be just gambling?

He has problems, duh, but when everyone's attitudes begin to cloud their judgement and dissension amongst them begins someone also needs to be the level head and try to play referee, sumtimes its needed to get into a persons face and yell. Rush does not care about the others (we know this already) he will sacrifice others for his goals. As for the planet thing.... Rush had it coming you know it, I know it everyone knows it.

For the idea that in non fighting times the Civilian Government has all power and the Military should listen to them is an obviously good idea, but in chaotic situations like what is currently happening on Destiny the Military needs to keep things in control. The Military on board Destiny are like the police force, they keep the peace, but when you have more then one person attempting to SEIZE power from others by force, and those people may not have the best intentions the Military needs to keep things in control.

Young, I think, realizes that they are stuck, and they need to find a way to live together.... otherwise why not expose Rush after the events of "Divided". I think people don't want to see this (From Destiny Crew P.O.V.)

Rush, potential mad scientist with no regard for others take power

Young, Military commander keeping things the way they are

IOA Chick (Cant remember her name ever!) Closest thing to a politician who has no knowledge of ship systems and will have to rely only on everyone else and not really contributing to anything in the long run.

You have any other ideas for a Leader? Military, for now, is best, Young is the best choice to keep running things.
                          They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Comment

If Young is considered the Good Guy - you know the guy who left someone to die on a planet then lied about it.

The Guy that beat up Telford because he thought he was having an affair with his wife.

The Guy who doesn't seem to be able to make a decent decision.

If that makes him a Good Guy, I think the idealistic wonder and shine has well and truly been tarnished... 'cause I expect something more from a Good Guy. Like I dunno, decent and honourable behaviour. Something we don't have from Young at all.

Not to mention his leadership, it leaves a lot to be desired.

The thing is - there are no good guys - and just because his intentions appear clear doesn't mean they are.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                              The Guy that beat up Telford because he thought he was having an affair with his wife.
                              I think, more than anything, he beat up Telford because Telford told Emily that the Young and TJ thing was still going on.

AND because he thought that Telford was plowing his wife. But still - not just what you mentioned. Hypocritical psychotic or not, ain't Young grand?
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                              X