The Devil You Know (520)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Devil You Know (520)

SAM AND DEAN FACE OFF AGAINST THE HORSEMEN — The demon Crowley (guest star Mark Sheppard) tells Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) he can help them find the remaining Horsemen rings so they can trap Lucifer. The brothers are doubtful until Crowley leads them to Brady (guest star Eric Johnson), the Handler for Pestilence (guest star Matt Frewer) and Death. However, Brady refuses to give up their locations and sets Pestilence after the Winchesters.... Robert Singer directed the episode written by Ben Edlund
    Post Viewing Discussion Only

Crowley = awesome. That is about it, really.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Teehee, another ep name that was already used by SG-1 (S3, ep 13).

Wow, that was... interesting. God, the cliffie at the end! Will Bobby say yes or no? (Well, I know because I've seen the spoilers, but it was still intense.)

I couldn't believe how they twisted the status quo around. So this time Dean walks away from Sam, and with a demon no less! I thought they went a little too far with having Dean angsting about Crowley killing the two security guards. Hello, demon here, what did he expect? I know there's this 'we have to save everybody' premise going on, but this was a bit OTT. On the other hand, I was pleased to see that they rebuilt the newfound trust between the brothers again right away - with Dean insisting to bring Bradey back to the house, trusting Sam enough not to kill their only lead on Pestilence. And Sam proved him right. Of course he got his revenge afterwords. And he was cool as a dog's nose when Bradey threw all those allegations at him. "Interesting theory." That was my favorite line in the whole episode.

Love the way Crowley is manipulating everybody. That guy's really bad news, but he's got style. And the hellhound interlude was awesome. "A thousand bucks says my pup wins," or something to that effect. LMAO

My only complaint is the usual. Are those boys made of friggin' steel? There's no way Dean could just get up and walk away after those kicks he took from Bradey. They would have earned him at least a few busted ribs, if not internal bleeding. That is one inconsistency I refuse to accept. If Michael has cast a protective spell over his vessel - at least that's my working theory - they should at least say so.

So, another well executed step on the way to the grand finale. Spn rules!
      Last edited by starg8fans; 30 April 2010, 02:11 AM.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

If we do not see how Dean & Sam get the third ring then that is ****ed up

Comment

What makes you think we won't get to see that?

sigpic

Comment

First of all great ep i still can't figure out if Crowley is being truthful everything we know about them says no. I am still wondering if he actually went and killed some demons or just pretended he did to get Brady to talk. Also given that he is the second one that we know of that can't be killed by the colt is it possible that he knows who else it can't kill thus he knew it wouldn't work on Lucy. who do you think the other 2 are that can't be killed by it i am thinking god and Michael.
            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
            sigpic

Comment

Very interesting episode. Very solid! SPN never fails to deliver!
              sigpic

Comment

Just finished watching...and that was another great ep.

Very interesting idea you have there Sammy about getting Luci back in the cage..plus you're now controlling your anger....I can see where this is going...maybe..

Those hell hounds get me every time..well not literally I hope. My heart pounds every time I hear those howls!!!

Some great one liners in there as well.
                sigpic

Comment

There's a slideshow with the best one-liners from the show at http://www.buddytv.com//slideshows/s...now-17801.aspx Too bad my fave didn't make it. "Interesting theory." Oh, and I also loved how Crowley introduced himself to Bobby. "In the flesh - of a moderately successful literary agent out of New York." And when he brought the boys to his hideout: "How the mighty have fallen. Single pane glass, used contraceptives in the fireplace - and the water damage alone..." "My heart's bleeding for you," Dean interrupts the tirade.

sigpic

Comment

Really good stuff last night, as usual with this show. Things are really building nicely for the season finale. I can't wait to see what Crowley is really after in the end.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      Really good stuff last night, as usual with this show. Things are really building nicely for the season finale. I can't wait to see what Crowley is really after in the end.
                      I reckon Crowley is setting them up for the showdown with Lucifer, so he can get back in Lucifer's good books, and he had to get 'Bradley' out of the way first.

Can't believe that Bobby is actually listening to Crowley, somehow he forgot the first lesson in Demons 101, 'Demons lie!' and Crowley is up there with the best of them, looking and acting like a car salesman!

It's going to be one 'hell' of a finale! ....yes, I know, I heard all the groans!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
                        Also given that he is the second one that we know of that can't be killed by the colt is it possible that he knows who else it can't kill thus he knew it wouldn't work on Lucy.
                        Two things...

1) If you are referring to the Colt that Bobby used on Crowley, I'm not sure that is 'the' Colt. I'd have thought Sam and Dean would carry that around with them. Secondly, it would be easy for Crowley to say 'that wont work on me'. He has a 50/50 chance of anyone finding out; do they wish to waste bullets?

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
                        who do you think the other 2 are that can't be killed by it i am thinking god and Michael.
                        1) God
                        2) Lucifer
                        3) Archangels
                        4) Horsemen

It was four things that the colt couldn't kill, right? The only thing though, Lucifer (technically) is an Archangel, so there is still potentially a 4th thing out there that the colt can't kill. If we go with the assumption that it is four 'things' rather than four 'individuals' it wouldn't make sense that Crowley can't be killed by it. He isn't really that special.

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        I reckon Crowley is setting them up for the showdown with Lucifer, so he can get back in Lucifer's good books, and he had to get 'Bradley' out of the way first.
                        I'm not so sure about this. If Crowley was that contempt with not getting in Lucifer's bad books, he wouldn't have helped the brothers in the first place.

Sure he is up to something, but I doubt very much it is to get back into anyone's good books.

Can't believe that Bobby is actually listening to Crowley, somehow he forgot the first lesson in Demons 101, 'Demons lie!' and Crowley is up there with the best of them, looking and acting like a car salesman!
                        Bobby wants what is best for the boys, and humanity in general. Chances are, he also wouldn't mind getting his legs back; whats the chances that is what he'll be asking for? Crowley said 'one wish'.

It's going to be one 'hell' of a finale! ....yes, I know, I heard all the groans!
                        We've still got season 6 to look forward too yet.
                        sigpic
                        It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I've had a few re-watches now and there's so much in this ep to love.

I see that the guy in the store who was slimed by Pestilence at the end of the last ep was sittin in the hospital waiting room at the beginning of this ep.

Also what made me laugh... Dean telling off Crowley about getting blood on the upholstery when earlier Sam had stabbed the back seat trying to kill Crowley. He said nothing about that!

It's good to see a bit of an explanation of why the Croatoan virus hasn't been unleashed yet. I like that even the horsemen have to obey the rules...whether they're heavenly or earthly ones. It explains why Pestilence can't just magically snap his fingers and 'hey presto' the whole world's been infected. It seems they want to hit the world with a 'vaccine' that'll be used pretty much everywhere all at once. No way to contain the outcome of it then.

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          I'm getting the feeling that he's now playing all out to be the top demon standing when everything's all done and dusted. He must be pretty high up in the demon chain if he can control his own hellhound. What with Alastair, Lilith and YED out of the picture..he must be feeling the time is right.

He'd make a good adversary in the next Season.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                            I've had a few re-watches now and there's so much in this ep to love.

I see that the guy in the store who was slimed by Pestilence at the end of the last ep was sittin in the hospital waiting room at the beginning of this ep.

Also what made me laugh... Dean telling off Crowley about getting blood on the upholstery when earlier Sam had stabbed the back seat trying to kill Crowley. He said nothing about that!

It's good to see a bit of an explanation of why the Croatoan virus hasn't been unleashed yet. I like that even the horsemen have to obey the rules...whether they're heavenly or earthly ones. It explains why Pestilence can't just magically snap his fingers and 'hey presto' the whole world's been infected. It seems they want to hit the world with a 'vaccine' that'll be used pretty much everywhere all at once. No way to contain the outcome of it then.

I'm getting the feeling that he's now playing all out to be the top demon standing when everything's all done and dusted. He must be pretty high up in the demon chain if he can control his own hellhound. What with Alastair, Lilith and YED out of the picture..he must be feeling the time is right.

He'd make a good adversary in the next Season.
                            Yep, that is what I have been saying.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

D'oh! Only so much gushing I can do over the course of a season, so I was just going to list all the fantastic quotes in this one and leave the analyzing to you guys. But that link to Buddytv up there beat me to it! So, I'll just make a few observations and list the quotes that I loved that didn't make their list.

Crowley. LOVE HIM! What fantastic addition to the guest cast this year. Very funny and threatening at the same time.

Showed Dean fighting that girl with the Croatoan virus again, so I thought maybe they WERE going to say Dean was infected then. I didn't think so at the time, but questioned why they put that scene in the "Then"...but usually they put things in the "Then" that are going to be referenced for that night's episode and there was nothing in this episode that indicated Dean was getting the virus. So, I am assuming they were just showing scenes of the virus itself to remind people the Croatoan virus is still on the table. Like I said in my review of The End, it didn't LOOK like Dean was cut, and if he was, how would he have gotten the girl's blood mixed in? But since it wasn't clear, I am not going to call 'foul' if they pull that out of their hat.

Dean as Dean. Moreso than almost any other episode this season. LOVE HIM! Especially the big brother-ness moments, making the decisions, and putting his foot down to keep Sam in check. And telling him to "shut up, Sam!" Only a big brother can talk that way and get away with it.

Hellhounds. LOVE THEM! 'Nuff said.

Bobby. LOVE HIM!....but what the HELL, Bobby?! Do you remember your conversation with Dean in the junkyard after he sold his soul?!!! I know, I know, desperate times...but Bobby? Usually he is the boys' voice of reason, the one putting the importance of a single life in perspective. Like the plot twist story-wise, but still sad to see Bobby fall into the boys' trap of sacrificing himself.

Sam's 'solution' in taking over the Lucifer. I thought the same thing as Bobby; when Bobby did it, that was a measly little demon, we're talking about Lucifer here!! Although, besides Bobby, I suppose it's fair to point out that the other person we saw temporarily take back control was John when Azazel was possessing him. So we know the Winchesters are fighters in this regard. But STILL, Yellow Eyes was also 'just' a demon, not an angel!

Brady. Good character. Nice surprise by Eric Johnson. His character on Smallville was borderline insipid, so it's good to see him get a juicy role and run with it.

Ok, the quotes I loved that Buddytv didn't list.

Bobby: As far as I can tell, he's still heading east...so, head east, I guess.
                              Sam and Dean: East?
                              Dean: Bobby, we're in West Nevada. East is practically all there is.

Crowley's entrance in the back seat: Say, I've got an idea... (quick sidenote: SAM!!!! you put a knife into the Impala's upholstery!! )

Crowley: You're upset, we should discuss.

Sam: Are you actually listening to this?
                              Dean: Sam.
                              Sam: Are you freaking nuts?!
                              Dean: Shut up for a second, Sam!
                              (Again, love this not because of the way he is treating Sam, but because it gives us strong Dean again)

Crowley: Sam's not coming.
                              Sam: Why the hell not?
                              Crowley: Because I don't like you. I don't trust you. And, oh yes, you keep trying to kill me.

Sam: Remember that time you were possessed?
                              Bobby: Yeah. Rings a bell.

Dean in the car when Crowley disappears...then shows up poised to slit throats: Ah, crap. Oh, Crap. Crap! Crap.

(another sidenote: Someone made the comment about thinking they went too far with Dean being upset about him killing the security guards? I respectfully 100% disagree. Crowley had JUST commented that they weren't demons, that they were human shields. I would have been FURIOUS if Dean hadn't gotten mad about killing two humans just to get into the building. As it was, I thought his response (though funny) was a little on the tame side!

Crowley: Go get 'em, tiger.
                              Dean: You're not coming?
                              Crowley: Oh no, it's not safe up there. There's demons.
                              Dean: Yeah, I get that.

Ok, Buddytv did get this one, but it bears repeating.
                              Crowley: Where's your moose?

Crowley: Good news. You get to live forever.
                              Brady: What did you do?
                              Crowley: Went over to a demons nest, had a little massacre. Must be losing my touch, though. Let one the little toads live. Oops.

And going back to the beginning, my favourite quote of the episode:
                              Crowley: Call off your dog. Please.

Comment

Working...
                              X