Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Welcome,
    I have been asked to create the forth in the long running and successful gateworld virtual fleet series. This thread is for the discussion and planning of the forth saga to be told in this franchise. We have felt that the sheer size of the previous thread makes it harder for new people to contribute and help renew this concept. Since the first thread began we have had 3 series, two movies and an entirely new show. I am effectively throwing the doors wide open in terms of discussion. Although the fleet concept should remain and i believe its one of the finest things Gateworld has created as a community. I do accept that the size, complexity and history of the previous fleets needs to be revamped, perhaps even discontinued in order for the concept to survive. That being said, i will be reposting my 10k guide to the fleets in the following posts in order to give some measure of what the fleets are and what that history is, take and use it with care, its precious to a huge number of us. I welcome everyone to join in and help develop and enjoy a new era in the fleets, come what may to the previous incarnations of the GWVF's. I and other members will be ready to jump back in as and when we are needed. But many simply do not have the time to continue playing an active role in furthering the fleets. Therefore handing over the baton and in some sense creative control of the direction of this concept has been long overdue. Hope this brings as much pleasure as it has to everyone who has worked on it so far.

Good luck and may the fleets live on.
    Immhotep, Founder of the GWVF's
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Immhotep�s Guide to the Gateworld Virtual fleets.

The Gateworld virtual fleets have been a significant part of my life for the last 4 years, started as a way of exploring new uses for existing ship designs within the OSDT, they have taken on a life of their own and have become the largest and in my opinion some of the best, most detailed stargate fan fiction stories ever. The Gateworld fleet�s have given a home to many new and creative ideas for the stargate universe, from ships, characters, storylines and enemies, to the continuation of ideas and themes from the original show (such as the quest to become fifth race, or the long standing mystery of the ancients), these few threads have created a universe as rich and as complex as the show that it is based upon. While it has sometimes been hard and tiring to work on the fleets I am very proud of everything the threads have created, as a tribute to the threads that have got me over a third of my posts, i dedicate my 10,000th post (and then some) to this, the official guide to the Gateworld Virtual fleets, for those who remember, for my 5k I did a similar guide to ship design, that was a long time ago now, but this guide will follow a similar format and I hope it will serve as a good tool for future and current participants in the Fleets.

The Big Question
    When confronted with a new member wishing to join this great project the most important question i can answer is the simple and basic one, of what the fleets actually are. The shame for me is that the fleets are such a complex project that defining them to a single format or role is difficult. However i shall attempt to define the fleets, the Gateworld Virtual Fleets are ship design fan fiction, at their outset the fleets were created to give a universe and to give depth to the creation process of original ship designs for the stargate universe beyond and separate from the constantly changing nature of the shows and their evolving storylines. The fleets are a malleable, user generated, user created and developed universe based on stargate which uses ships designed by members of the fleets and gateworld to tell the stories of the expansion and evolution of a future Tauri race and its interaction with the local group of galaxies and their inhabitants. This is a short debrief on the fleets, with the reality being significantly more complex, the elements that are in the fleet have been developed over (now) a number of years, and through multiple threads, and evolutions with the races characters, wars, planets and organisations developing along with the fleet. To each fleet a new generation of contributors has brung new elements and ideas to the table. The first fleet was was a reaction to the poor combat of the wraith which saw us develop the wraith, the Pegasus galaxy and the Tauri in to a full scale and effective war machine to do battle in the future, in a war which was realistic and grander than the shows. In the second fleet, with the conquest and pacification of Pegasus under our belts the fleet developed in to a fight for power, about the Tauri�s development and rise from a small power, to a superpower in a war with the aschen and the Adnihlo, for control of our home galaxy and the title of fifth race of the great alliance. This fleet was perhaps the most important of all the fleets for it has set the scene for the Tauri of the third fleets. The third fleets are a workout for this new superpower and its role within the universe, up against past mistakes and future universal evils, it has begun to tell the story of us finding a place in the universe through the turmoil�s of war and the struggle for peace within our own race. The fleets are an amazing project, giving life to a universe of limitless potential and the backdrop for great creative talent to be exercised, the fleets have developed a significant depth of original and brilliant material that I believe could rival any of the greatest Sci-Fi mythologies. The fleets are a fan fiction project that uses the best of stargate and expands its scope to a larger, more complex and more challenging universe, full of problems and potential that is open to large amounts of modification and development, as the history and development of the three current fleets have shown. The Gateworld Virtual fleets are no longer contained to the single three fleets, these three are a core base in the concept of virtual fleets, but the concept itself has been adopted by at least three other Virtual fleets, all of which have taken the fleet concept and added their own spins and storylines to the fray. It is my hope that the fleet concept will endure and continue to provide a base for the creative energy of new fans and writers for a long time to come, as they have provided me and many others with such a great platform for the past two years.

~Relation to Cannon~

The Gate world Virtual fleets are outside of Cannon, they are alternate universe, alternate timeline fan fiction, this is both on purpose and by necessity. The specific cannon events which are deliberately removed from fleet cannon are varied but major ones include the Ark of truth and continuum storylines, The unending events and significant parts of Atlantis season 3, 4 and 5 and SGU. The fleets were created almost 4 years ago, with the events in the shows unknown and therefore unaccounted for, unending caused significant problems in our own history, with the Asgard being central characters in all fleets and with earth�s technology not developing at such a rapid pace. Therefore when unending aired, the fleets moved away from Cannon in a more defined and significant way. Future developments in the shows cannon and its relationship to fleet cannon are discussed as and when episodes that clash with our own mythology are aired. While significant parts of the fleets are entirely original, other parts take direct reference from the shows, and some parts of the show are left out, while the fleets fill in blanks with original material from the shown own gaps in the timeline, for example with our exploration of new ancient cultures from all periods of the ancient story, see the Halen, Vasilinok and Navos for examples of filling in the gaps.
    The fleets and the shows are independant, while existing in the context of a similar universe the fleets being set many decades in to the future mean current events in terms of the show, would indirectly impact our future storylines. The separation of show and fleet means that our timeline, stories and challenges can be played out without direct overruling by storylines and events portrayed in the shows. This is not to say that we don�t follow the shows, but that our storylines do not need to fit with the shows and are not constrained by the scope of television, which was the reason, or one of them for the fleets existence in the first place.

The Fleet Threads
    1.0, the first original Virtual fleet
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30607

2.0, the second Virtual fleet
    Link to the Thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=37500

3.0 Last 'origional' Virtual Fleet
    Link to the Thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47948

4.0 The new Gateworld virtual fleet, the official story thread for this official regeneration of the concept
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...-Virtual-Fleet

~Links to Alternate non official Fleets~
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=53814 alt
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=41126 real
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=53978 other

Other Links:
    The Gate world Virtual Fleet Database: http://rapidshare.de/files/38729626/...pdate.zip.html
    The Gateworld Virtual fleets Wiki: http://gateworldfleets.wikia.com/wiki/Gateworld_Fleets
    Gateworld Fleet Modelling Package: http://rapidshare.de/files/38433327/..._Pack.rar.html
    Gateworld Fleet Websites: http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    The Gateworld Virtual Fleet Social group: http://forum.gateworld.net/group.php?groupid=5
    My Fleet images gallery: http://forum.gateworld.net/album.php?albumid=5
    Glossery
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=6749
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=6750

Tep
    Last edited by immhotep; 23 March 2011, 05:58 AM.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    11000! green me

Comment

i would like to join but the previous threads are simply to massive to get me really part of it. Also ive got my finals coming op so I will have to concentrate on that

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Think i'll give this one a go...or at least try to

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Thats the best thing the previous threads are past tense. We can use as much or as little of them as you guys want too. If you want a premade history and deep universe, its there and we can bitesize it over to the new one. If not then we have a whole new backstory, history and timeline to start and that is one of the most exciting parts of the fleet. It can include the infinite and while we had one impressive take on it, its certainly not the only one that could have been taken. This is your chance to write and create the road not taken by the shows, or indeed by the fleets.
          sigpic
          11000! green me

Comment

personally I would like to try this with a REAL different start, personally I am getting kind of sick about things as this have to be American or British based, especially in the SG universe.

There for I suggest we take a really different starting point. My proposition is we start from a Main Land (Europe) point of view, perhaps in a different or alternate version of this timeline.
            I have always wondered how SG would play out if we were to start in lets say the 17 or 18th century or we start from a communist or fascist (perhaps even Nazi) point of view.

That would create an entirely AU universe.

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Comment

I would be interested to see if the Gate program was established at CERN, and perhaps that complex was a cover for the stargate program. It would also be the best place to experiment on and test alien technology.
              sigpic
              11000! green me

Comment

that would indeed be an interesting thing

Though it would have to be a secret part within that, for the observers to it would uncountably be dangerous to the project.

It would also be a good explanation as to why so much money goes to Brussels (paid by European member states), a large part of that could be paying for this secret part of CERN, also in the early days, parts of the Marshall help could have gone to that.

It would also mean that the organisation is less militarized and the parts of the military that is involved would be composed of several different countries. I also think that only a small core of CERN members would be the most involved countries in this operation. Those few that are a part of it would I think be, Belgium, France, Germany, the UK, Sweden and the Netherlands.
                Last edited by locutes; 06 April 2010, 10:40 AM.

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Comment

I'm in guys, there is one thing that I would like to propose pretty early on, no tech list. I think that without them it is easier to make ships there own class and you can develop ships easier as you move through the timeline. If you dont like tech that has been put on someones design dont vote for it I think that that would be the best way forward personaly as far as tech goes.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

i think america is pretty fundamental to SG. why? well what other country can make a few billion disappear?

i think an SG programme that's international from the start is better. start in present day, where the story is shortly explained of how we found some planets via the gate, found some tech and started reverse-engineering. Rosswell, where an alien ship crashed, has proven useful. the SG programme is now in control of something like a G8. the top industrial nations are in control.

one of the ideas i thought of is simpy goauld-like race again but then hugely different. how different?

-goauld still exist. they indeed are feudal-like powermongers who completely believe they are gods. their ignorance and arrogance keeps them weak the first few years. the setup for the goauld is one of the more ingenious aspects of SG1 IMO, set up 1000x better than the wraith. still -probably due to budget and tech- the goauld have a lot of unused potential for variety.

-the jaffa are all the same. boring. i'd like to see more, and different versions, with different roles, different weapons. the Jaffa should be cannonfodder-ish and not too well-equipped, because they're the surpressed as well. the staffweapon is quite a nice weapon, but i'd think zat guns and some sort of intar gun is nice.

-the goauld have a class/caste system. use that. i'd like to see more of the Ashrak, but also of other minor goauld with different occupations. the goauld warriors are better equipped and armed. it'll take bigger guns than P-90's to take them down, their healing and strenght will be serious but not overpowered.

-the goauld on taking a host is vulnerable. depending on the mental state of the host, he can fight this merging. some goauld like it easy and take sleeping hosts, others like the fight. when the goauld is rejected by the host through this mental battle, the goauld can choose to stay and fight at a later time, making the goaulded person a ticking timebomb regarding the merging.

-as the goauld has taken a host, control is meagre and you still have to forcefully control the host. the goauld starts to generate neural pathways with which it overrides the host' brain and establishes control. the longer the goauld has control, the more pathways, the harder goauld extraction becomes. after several months, the merge is complete, the host consciousness is stashed into a little part of the brain and put to minimal activity. essentially in coma. at this stage, it's nigh-impossible to remove the goauld without serious damage to the brain, as the goauld is more or less incorporated into the brain stam and forms an addition to the human brain. the excreted chemicals strenghten the human body, and the human muscle, and promote healing.

-depending on their role (god of death, life, fertility or whatever) a goauld has a different, and often very personal hand device. i personally find the ribbon device to be intriguing. each should have 2-3 abilities, no more or less. one is an artificial mental ability (telekinetic blast is the common one in SG1), a secondary ability (like the mental torture) and a possible tertiary is cloak or shield. i'd like to see ones that can, say, heal or shoot kinetic blasts, or torture and fire bolts of energy, or ones that emit radiation which poisons/damages a person instead of healing him. since goauld have different tech levels, it would be interesting to see different forms of shields and cloaks (rapid-recharge low-energy shields, high-strenght low-recharge shields, transparency cloaks, visible light cloaks, or full EM cloak or so).

-i'd like to see multiple types of ships. the goauld have a nice variety but eventually they all became fast and powerful with no individuality. it would be nice to see a goauld of say, forging, have ships that are simply designed to be stronger.

-Deadmans switch and Bounty were interesting episodes for me, and i think that bountyhunters would be nice. i mean, what better way to try and hurt earth than by sending expert killers?

-i'd like to explore some other cultures. of jaffa.

-kull were interesting but so overpowered that they had to be depowered soon. i'd say a more balanced one would be more interesting.

for earth.

-the SGC being on earth never made a whole lot of sense to me. put that base in jeopardy and earth's as good as dead aswel. have the base be closeby (within a 100LY radius) and well, then nuking is easier.

-by placing it in 2010, we can have somewhat more modern tools aswel. big fan of SGA's lifesignsdetector (but i think it's better to have a normal scanner and thermal imaging). also, i think UAV's should be used a bit more.

-as to allies. i think the Nox had potential, but their ultra-peace is unnessecary. it would be nice if they would open up a sanctuary for those who wish to be free from the goauld.

-the Asgard had a great role. add some more consistency and they're good.

-the Ancients are ridiculous. luckily SGU's repairing some damage. in one end uberpowered and in the other end underpowered. the humanisation of the ancients was the biggest fail of SGA. also i didn't really like the role of the asgard, namely as that of a way to put the ancient's power in perspective. gate builders, fine. advanced, fine, old, fine. but don't make them appear as the smartest and best when they're obviously aren't. simply maintain a way of "the 4 great races thought very differently" and just maintain that the ancients "had a different way of developing things". and please no 50 million years of age. it's ridiculous. let the ancients die out 1 million years ago, have them arrive here some 3 million years ago, the goauld rose to power some 5 000 years ago (discovery of earth) and that's about it. the asgard should be some 2.5 million years old, the nox of unspecified age, the Furlings, well, no idea. anyone got a better name for them?

i think that we should write in some more elements to add to the variety.

aside from that, just keep it consistent and fun and it's gonna be fine.
                    I'm in guys, there is one thing that I would like to propose pretty early on, no tech list. I think that without them it is easier to make ships there own class and you can develop ships easier as you move through the timeline. If you dont like tech that has been put on someones design dont vote for it I think that that would be the best way forward personaly as far as tech goes.
                    if we have something of a tech indication list i'm fine with that, but no actual tech list. i think that goauld tech should be somewhat reverse-engineerable, but not completely. say, we can deduct shield technology from it but nowhere near as powerful as they have. over time it'd get better, because of exchanges from allies *say, we found a cool piece of alien tech, the Tok'ra desperately need it and as an exchange, they give more details about the goauld shield systems*

i think that initially the technological advancement of SG1 was fine, i just think the lack of a tok'ra race was, what made SGA go uber too fast. we have plenty of room for advancements. there is a humongous gap between human tech and goauld tech, and we can easily fill that up slowly while keeping it interesting.

Comment

I can't see any SG program without US support in some sense of the word.

Comment

I agree the goauld could be radically overhauled and have thier deities imposed on thier technology base and equip Jaffa differently. Perhaps instead of them all being supremely evil, through the ages their time in the sarcofagus has actually imprinted thier own belief in godlyness on to the goauld, but specificly the god the believe they are. So a combination of mental illness and technology has corrupted them. I would actually like the goauld society to be changed to what in effect would be called a theocracy, with the God in charge but with a complex system of Castes and Military units as well as internal politics and social forces. a More complex system infused with the various ethnic traits of the deities former culture, religion etc.

I wouldnt like an entire rehaul of the alliance and anicent races, i think thats going too far. But a better timeline or system for the alliance could be on the cards. I like the ancinets and the Asgard. Ive dedicated alot of time to them. The nox however, and races such as the Oaene, retu and Salesh need alot of work.
                        I think the fleets have done the ancient storyline though and so perhaps other younger races need to be given more flesh and importance now.. I think we should focus on the MW, and fill out that universe entirely. I would like the Aschen to have survived, and the tollan also to be part of the makeup of the new fleet storyline. I liked our development of the Tagrean, Hebridans and bedrossians in to a new allied force in the wake of the Ori, they seem to be mutually compatable in terms of technology and society. I think they could be really cool as a major player. perhaps as the main source for bounty hunters and the like in fighting the goauld, the legitimate source of arms and monies to forces like the lucian alliance, who they use in a similar way to we used the tokra and jaffa resistance.
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

G8:
                          Canada
                          Prime Minister Stephen Harper
                          President of the G8 for 2010
                          France
                          President Nicolas Sarkozy
                          Germany
                          Chancellor Angela Merkel
                          Italy
                          Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
                          Japan
                          Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama
                          Russia
                          President Dmitry Medvedev
                          United Kingdom
                          Prime Minister Gordon Brown
                          United States
                          President Barack Obama

now that could make a whole bunch of people happy!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            G8:
                            Canada
                            Prime Minister Stephen Harper
                            President of the G8 for 2010
                            France
                            President Nicolas Sarkozy
                            Germany
                            Chancellor Angela Merkel
                            Italy
                            Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
                            Japan
                            Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama
                            Russia
                            President Dmitry Medvedev
                            United Kingdom
                            Prime Minister Gordon Brown (TBD)
                            United States
                            President Barack Obama

now that could make a whole bunch of people happy!
                            Having a SG set up run by a group like the G8 does sound like a good idea...

Comment

Spoiler:
                              I agree the goauld could be radically overhauled and have thier deities imposed on thier technology base and equip Jaffa differently. Perhaps instead of them all being supremely evil, through the ages their time in the sarcofagus has actually imprinted thier own belief in godlyness on to the goauld, but specificly the god the believe they are. So a combination of mental illness and technology has corrupted them. I would actually like the goauld society to be changed to what in effect would be called a theocracy, with the God in charge but with a complex system of Castes and Military units as well as internal politics and social forces. a More complex system infused with the various ethnic traits of the deities former culture, religion etc.

Theocracy? now that sounds cool. yes we fully agree here. also, age, sarcophagus use and genetic memory all contribute to their ego, yes. that's the way i've always interpreted it. they more or less fully believe they are that god.

I wouldnt like an entire rehaul of the alliance and anicent races, i think thats going too far.
                              not talking about an overhaul. it's just that the role of some of the Great Races has been poorly designed. again, it sometimes appears like the only reason the Asgard exist is to put in perspective the awesomeness of the ancients. just some words different here and there make wonders.

But a better timeline or system for the alliance could be on the cards. I like the ancinets and the Asgard. Ive dedicated alot of time to them. The nox however, and races such as the Oaene, retu and Salesh need alot of work.
                              most of the stuff that happened to the ancients is fine IMO. not a fan of the ori storyline because of the unnecessary uber. but essentially, yes the same would happen but on a smaller timescale, because i'm not a fan of dozens of millions years old races. a few million is old enough.

I think the fleets have done the ancient storyline though and so perhaps other younger races need to be given more flesh and importance now.
                              i think that with at least a clear timeline, we can do some nice stories about them in the present. i am a big fan of Window Of Opportunity, Fifth Race, Lost City. it's nice and not too uber, as the full harnessing of the power of the ancients is simpy outside our reach, as it should've been. same for the asgard. yes if the asgard allow it we should be able to fly a ship around and fire. but as soon as stuff blows, we're screwed. not a fan of mckay magic repair Inc.

I think we should focus on the MW, and fill out that universe entirely.
                              i'm not sure of the road we're going. but keeping the MW as a big place is fine for me. seriously, it's massive, and a quarter of it is a big enough playing field for now.

I would like the Aschen to have survived, and the tollan also to be part of the makeup of the new fleet storyline.
                              tollan need some tweaking regarding technology and timeline. i think that requirement for non-uber NR.1 is: Phase tech should be powerconsuming. otherwise the Tollan defeat the goauld in a single afternoon.

the Aschen in a way are overdone, but i think some tweaking and playing around and they're great.

I liked our development of the Tagrean, Hebridans and bedrossians in to a new allied force in the wake of the Ori, they seem to be mutually compatable in terms of technology and society
                              not really up-to-date on all of them. the Hebridan society was one of the more awesome ones. they should be explored. more earth-level and earth-in-the-slight-future technology races could be a help.

I think they could be really cool as a major player. perhaps as the main source for bounty hunters and the like in fighting the goauld, the legitimate source of arms and monies to forces like the lucian alliance, who they use in a similar way to we used the tokra and jaffa resistance.
                              i think the LA is a very interesting but maldeveloped faction. the tech of the goauld combined with the intellect of humans. the perfect enemy for a more developed earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X