Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Been hearing that this show is a little...slow and cheesy True?

Second Lieutenant

Default Been hearing that this show is a little...slow and cheesy True?

I am in a dire need of new sci-fi material. Unfortunately, typical of the syfy channel, they keep pumping out low budget crap which fails to impress me and kinda gives a horrible impression to the sci-fi genrel.

So I read up on babylon 5. Is it cheesy? slow from the first 2 seasons? That's what I heard from the fans.

Default Re: Been hearing that this show is a little...slow and cheesy True?

Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    I am in a dire need of new sci-fi material. Unfortunately, typical of the syfy channel, they keep pumping out low budget crap which fails to impress me and kinda gives a horrible impression to the sci-fi genrel.

So I read up on babylon 5. Is it cheesy? slow from the first 2 seasons? That's what I heard from the fans.
    I wouldn't call it cheesy myself. Some might think so but it is very much a product of the nineties. Having said that, while the 1st season is fairly slow, the rest are pure gold and the characters and story are top notch.

Think of it like The Lord of The Rings in Space. That's the sort of level we're talking.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Probie

B5 doesn't have the "realism" or downright darkness of Battlestar Galactica. It's actors very much are of the stage drama variety. There's some cheesy comedy parts, but it's extremely well written to the point where it's mind boggling. And unfortunately if you're going to watch it, I don't want to explain that last sentence more than that until you've seen the whole thing.

Babylon 5 is freaking awesome. While the first season seems a bit weak on your first time through, you'll come to realize as the show goes on just how many seeds were planted then. Seasons 2-4 are absolutely epic. Season 5 is a miss for the first half of it, but then the show gets awesome again at the end.

Babylon 5, from season 1 to season 5 is done as one overall story. While Season 1 may be slow, it's similar to reading a book. It basically sets up all the major players, the back story and starts to set things in motion but once you get into season 2, I think people really get into it.

Season 1 by itself is enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but it's my personal opinion that seasons 3 and 4 were the best. JMS (short for J. Michael Straczynski, the creator) did the show in a way that was very much like a predecessor to shows like Lost, Heroes, Alias, shows that have one long, overall story going on. Season 1 will introduce things that you may not pay attention to at first, but then in later seasons, those small things have major impacts on the show.

It's a fantastic series and JMS really put some thought into the little stones that when started, would roll into huge snowballs.

Second Lieutenant

I don't actually find Season 1 all that slow, to be honest. A bit stiff, perhaps, but if you compare it to the first season of DS9, it actually comes out better because they're doing a lot more worldbuilding, establishing stuff, and the characters have a better grip on who they are from the getgo. Season 2 is better, but doesn't really take off until the final four episodes. Season 3 is great, season 4 is unendingly brilliant from end to end, and season 5 sucks, but manages to recover in the last six episodes or so.

Basically, it's like this
    First year: This is our new universe, and welcome to it
    Second Year: Now that you're familiar with the place, there are some dark things a-brewin'
    Third year: This is how things fall apart
    Fourth Year: This is the lowest ebb, from which point we start to take back what was ours
    Fifth Year: Theoretically we build a new world, but in actual fact we just sit around and stare at each other for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
    I don't actually find Season 1 all that slow, to be honest. A bit stiff, perhaps, but if you compare it to the first season of DS9, it actually comes out better because they're doing a lot more worldbuilding, establishing stuff, and the characters have a better grip on who they are from the getgo. Season 2 is better, but doesn't really take off until the final four episodes. Season 3 is great, season 4 is unendingly brilliant from end to end, and season 5 sucks, but manages to recover in the last six episodes or so.

Basically, it's like this
    First year: This is our new universe, and welcome to it
    Second Year: Now that you're familiar with the place, there are some dark things a-brewin'
    Third year: This is how things fall apart
    Fourth Year: This is the lowest ebb, from which point we start to take back what was ours
    Fifth Year: Theoretically we build a new world, but in actual fact we just sit around and stare at each other for weeks on end.
    very good description though I believe season five is off

It is a bit slow at parts, but when it gets going it is really worth it

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    very good description though I believe season five is off

It is a bit slow at parts, but when it gets going it is really worth it
    Fair enough. <G>

What I don't get is why the show isn't currently in syndication anywhere. There's still a zillion TV stations looking to fill up their daytime broadcastin schedule...

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

if you watch for the story and the characters, it's fantastic.
    Sometimes it's hard for people accustomed to modern cgi etc to look at it and not cringe but it really is well worth the watch

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

I'll admit it; I am a B5 elitist. I get so exhilarated watching Babylon 5, my favorite show of all time, for its complexity, characters, story, and yes, its effects, that I tend to elevate it to Godhood. Other shows for me inhabit a lower plane of sorts.

Slow?
    Cheesy?

If by slow you mean that in order to gain the full climactic effect of Seasons 3 and 4 you must immerse yourself in Seasons 1 and 2, that have many "building" episodes (character development, set-up and foreshadowing left and right, and spoilers presented out of context), then perhaps.

As for cheesy, NO.

"What is built endures, and what is loved endures; and Babylon 5... Babylon 5 endures." - Delenn

Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

What I don't get is why the show isn't currently in syndication anywhere. There's still a zillion TV stations looking to fill up their daytime broadcastin schedule...
    My understanding is that Warner Bros. is divided into different divisions that don't work together, but rather they work against each other so that they can get more money for their own projects. So Warner Bros. syndication division hates anything to do with the old PTEN network that was Warner Bros. first attempt at a different network from the big 3 (CBS, NBC, ABC.) Babylon 5, Time Trax, The new Kung Fu, and one or two others I have forgot were the shows that Warner Bros. sold to independant stations around the country as the PTEN. It fell apart towards the end of B5's 4th season and B5 got picked up by TNT.

So now Warner Bros. syndication division makes no attempt to try and get B5 any syndication deals. The last time I remember was The Sci-Fi Channel showing it and Crusade back in 2003 and maybe into 2004.

I definitely wonder why SyFy doesn't try and show B5 during the late afternoons Monday through Friday. I think it just could be that Warner Bros. is asking too much money.

Time will tell if it will be on TV again anytime soon.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
    If by slow you mean that in order to gain the full climactic effect of Seasons 3 and 4 you must immerse yourself in Seasons 1 and 2, that have many "building" episodes (character development, set-up and foreshadowing left and right, and spoilers presented out of context), then perhaps.
    "What is built endures, and what is loved endures; and Babylon 5... Babylon 5 endures." - Delenn
    yes, this, exactly!

Take it from someone who is watching for the first time, it's worth it

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Redhooks View Post
    My understanding is that Warner Bros. is divided into different divisions that don't work together, but rather they work against each other so that they can get more money for their own projects. So Warner Bros. syndication division hates anything to do with the old PTEN network that was Warner Bros. first attempt at a different network from the big 3 (CBS, NBC, ABC.) Babylon 5, Time Trax, The new Kung Fu, and one or two others I have forgot were the shows that Warner Bros. sold to independant stations around the country as the PTEN.
    So now Warner Bros. syndication division makes no attempt to try and get B5 any syndication deals. The last time I remember was The Sci-Fi Channel showing it and Crusade back in 2003 and maybe into 2004.
    Yeah, it's all byzantine intrigue at Warners. But still: they've paid for the show, everything from this point on is profit. You'd think an accountant would override divisional bias. They are a company, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhooks View Post
    I definitely wonder why SyFy doesn't try and show B5 during the late afternoons Monday through Friday. I think it just could be that Warner Bros. is asking too much money.

Time will tell if it will be on TV again anytime soon.
    Probably because Syfy isn't really all that much into science fiction. ABC shows more SF than Syfy does. They can't even show their own programs in repeats consistently. Take this week, for instance: SGA on Monday and Tuesday, nothing on wednesday or thursday, back again on friday. Pre-empted all of last week for no darn reason.

Slow, very, but it's always building.

Cheesy? Not at all, especially when you compare it's far more realistic approach to humankind than say ST.

Initially i also thought it was a bit cheesy but it grew on me. Season 2-4 are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammond View Post
    Slow, very, but it's always building.

Cheesy? Not at all, especially when you compare it's far more realistic approach to humankind than say ST.
    Agreed. Though I do like watching ST because of its good stories, B5's vision of the future feels the most realistic to me, especially with the turbulent turns of government within the Earth Alliance. ST's utopian future seemed radically unrealistic to me at times, which is why DS9 appealed to me a great deal. DS9 chipped away at that rosy picture and brought some realism and grit to that rosy, unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    Initially i also thought it was a bit cheesy but it grew on me. Season 2-4 are excellent.
    I've described B5 to people as a "slow burn." Like any good book, it hooks you in, and takes its time to expose the characters. But when the action gets going, it really gets going, all the way to Endgame & Rising Star in season 4.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Agreed. Though I do like watching ST because of its good stories, B5's vision of the future feels the most realistic to me, especially with the turbulent turns of government within the Earth Alliance. ST's utopian future seemed radically unrealistic to me at times, which is why DS9 appealed to me a great deal. DS9 chipped away at that rosy picture and brought some realism and grit to that rosy, unrealistic utopia.
    Not to start a flame war or anything, but I really can't abide Star Trek. Of the big three franchises: Trek, Dr. Who, and Stargate, Trek is the one that consistently didn't pull its own weight.

Not to start a flame war or anything, but I really can't abide Star Trek. Of the big three franchises: Trek, Dr. Who, and Stargate, Trek is the one that consistently didn't pull its own weight.
    Given a choice of watching Stargate, Trek, or Who on a given night, I'd probably choose the following: SGU (not Atlantis or SG-1), DS9, and maybe Who. I liked some of the stories for it but its re-watch value for me is personally very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    Given a choice of watching Stargate, Trek, or Who on a given night, I'd probably choose the following: SGU (not Atlantis or SG-1), DS9, and maybe Who. I liked some of the stories for it but its re-watch value for me is personally very low.
    LOL, I think we'd be watching the exact same lineup
    I'll bring the popcorn...