No announcement yet.

was i the only one that enjoyed bsg finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the ending! Some of the flashbacks got on my nerves, but they served a purpose, and seeing some of the things that had been hinted at earlier in the seasons (like the opera house dream/prophecy whatever it was) come to a conclusion was exciting. I especially loved the battle scenes!
    Last edited by gatechick; 22 December 2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

i was totally confusd by the last ep. ive read the original book an it was nothin like thet. the ship comes to earth in our time, that is what i was hopin 4 ....disapointd

Comment

Loved it. One of the most satisfying endings ever.

Seems that some people dislike the supernatural/religious explanations used by the finale. I didn't mind because it was consistent with what came before. TPTB had demonstrated that the whole God-angle was taken seriously by show. It wasn't a just a tease or red herring. I would have been pissed if TPTB surpisingly, without warning, pulled the God-explanation out of a hat for the finale. However, everything was consistent with the rules the show had established for itself. Hell, they had practically broadcast the message, "God's plan will be fulfilled," in previous episodes.

Giving up the tech. Yeah, that was difficult to swallow, but it was necessary to connect the BSG-universe to our universe. Had to have all traces of the fleet disappear here on Earth.

Anyway, when I think of all of the lousy, deficient endings I've seen -- as well as series that are simply chopped off without a proper finale -- the BSG finale shines.

Comment

I really liked the ending. Few things irked me though.

I wasn't happy with the whole Kara turning into an angel leading the fleet to earth. (Hello there is a dying leader supposed to lead you to earth...) An other thing I wasn't very happy about is abandoning all the technology, why? I have no clue. And then, it turns out that Baltar comes from a farmers family. He's once again the most knowlegable man on the planet? He didn't really deserve that imo.

Comment

It was a thing of beauty. Especially that moment when they flew by the moon. But everything else too.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Only the very end where they meet the second evolution on a different planet that can support human life and they can mate with. Then on top of that it is 150,000 years ago and somehow their mythology survived. Maybe if it was 15,000 years ago, then maybe they could have been part of the whole 'ancient alien' thing.

But besides that, it was great. A fitting final battle for the ol' girl and honestly, great to see Roslin die. She pissed me off to no end.
              Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by damnflamingos View Post
                I wasn't happy with the whole Kara turning into an angel leading the fleet to earth. (Hello there is a dying leader supposed to lead you to earth...)
                What if the prophecy always meant Starbuck with the dying leader and Roslin's interpretation that it was herself was simply wrong? Even prophecies aren't immune from coincidence and misinterpretation, especially if they're cryptic enough. I know that's not what RDM was aiming for at the time, but it makes more sense than the official version.

As for the finale as a whole, I too liked it. It wasn't Deus ex Machina since god didn't come out of nowhere, which is a necessity to qualifa as DeM. After the whole stuff with the prophecies, the Cylon god(s?), Head!Six claiming to be an angel as well as that being the only logical explanation for Head!Baltar, Starbuck returning from the dead and not being a Cylon, the strangely accurate various visions (from Roslin and her voodoo priest to D'Anna and the Opera House including the revelation of the Final Five) - all that doesn't make a lick of sense if there wasn't some sort of God behind all this.

I hated the idea of just thowing their technology away in the Sun at first, but it also kind of makes sense. Besides the fresh start and leaving no traces, they probably didn't have any ressources or spare parts to maintain the technology in the first place. They had a limited supply left over from Caprica, but simply not the necassary knowledge and/or technology to create more. They only know how stuff works and how to use it, but not how to create it, and the people dealing with it were relying on other technology, which they also would run out of sooner or later. So they had no alternative but to start from scratch eventually, so they just got rid off all that stuff right away.

I liked the resolution for most of the characters, with the exception of Boomer and the Chief, that was a bit tragic, but I guess another happy ending here would've been too cheesy and not really fit in with the rest of the show. The Chief killing Tori was great, however, and Cahill going nuts and blowing his brains out was hilarious. I also was glad that the Opera House wasn't an actual opera house.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  the revelation of the opera house was awesome. and i love how laura lost sight of her part in the vision.
                  Maybe i have always glossed over it, but i never saw (or picked up on the revelations) you are on about.

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                  I was OK with the religious part, but did not like the ending. I mean, if they had found a random planet and founded a new modern civilisation with the cylon, the cycle would have been broken for sure, but the way i see it, they commited "cultural suicide" and relaunched evolution from scratch, making sure that they will make the same mistakes again in the future. Lee's "Let's break the cycle" really make me laugh, because losing the history is what made the cycle repeat itself in the past.
                  And i do not believe for one second that most people in the fleet would go along with the idea.
                  Exactly. No historical records of the Cylons or the issues with making AI. So how was the cycle broken?

One of my gripes was if they wanted to get rid of all tech, why did they still have a few shuttles down on planet? And why has no one unearthed them in the 150k years from when the colonists showed up to that 'futuristic Manhattan?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Exactly. No historical records of the Cylons or the issues with making AI. So how was the cycle broken?

One of my gripes was if they wanted to get rid of all tech, why did they still have a few shuttles down on planet? And why has no one unearthed them in the 150k years from when the colonists showed up to that 'futuristic Manhattan?
                    I think I can answer that. This is make believe, it never actually happened!!!
                    You were not watching a history channel documentary you were watching Syfy
                    (sorry, couldn't resist the joking)

The only ending as haunting as when Starbuck and Apollo were last together and he turned around was the ending of Das Boot where the captain fell over dead and the U-Boat sank after all the hell they had been through.
                    That empty feeling like something was just sucked out of you.

I thought it was a great ending until they flashed to the future and went stupid with the toy robot.
                    To do such an epic series and end it with that was like, well:
                    I guess you guys just could not stand a completely perfect show so you had to screw it up.

Yeah, good one, Frackin morons!!

Comment

There are issues with the finale, as there are with any show that's trying to wrap up seasons worth of storylines and plot points and stuff the writers can't even remember from season 01 that we're still obsessing over as fans, and people have mentioned many of these issues and most of them seem to do with plot-logic and coherency and especially the overly-forced ending whose message was obvious before they started pushing the robot-images on it..

But.

This episode, more than any other series finale I've watched (although a few season finales of doctor who come close) made me cry multiple times. And it was the cry that has you doing that goofy smile and the happy-yet-sad crying. Multiple times. Because at the end it is the emotional journeys of the characters that's most important, and many (not all) were served and (mostly) served well.

I can forgive logical holes and plot failures if the emotional journey is done right.

Comment

I have to confess I haven't seen every episode. I started to watch it a few weeks ago but I couldn't really see myself sitting and watching 4 whole series+movies.

I watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and then I kind of gave up and just wanted to see them find Earth, so I jump ahead and watched season 4 episodes 10,11,19,20 and I think I got the whole gist of it from those.

Possible Spoiler for those who haven't seen it - Don't read any more.

After a Cylon/Human war they formed a peace treaty of sorts and then some time later the Cylons returned in their Human form and destroyed the 12 colonies, war broke out once again. If you can call it a war, it was more "we have to get the frack out of here before they kill what little remains of our kind.". So they went off in search of the 13th colony, they found it but it was a dead planet and so they continued forward and eventually made peace with the Cylons along the way and they eventually found a place to call Earth and settled, happy days.

Personally I think the first Earth they found (the destroyed one) was actually the first evolution of Humans, they created Cylons who rose up against them and destroyed them, the Cylons then left Earth and evolved in to more Human form along the way and eventually became more Human than Cylon and created the 12 colonies. So the Humans of Galactica (time frame) were actually the very first Cylons they just evolved themselves so much they in fact became Human and had the ability to reproduce. So as Humans they forgot all about their Cylon past and after thousands of years they once again began created robots (Cylons) which then rose up against them with a desire to become more Human and thus the cycle began again..which we see in Galactica.

Or it could just be God (Apparently he doesn't like that name, let's call him Bob then.) and the Devil playing a sick twisted game over and over on Humanity...if it is Humanity and not Cylon.

Which came first the Human or the Cylon, chicken or the egg. Hmm.

Yeah that's a pretty weird theory there lol.

I thought the ending was good for what it was.

I still have The Plan and Blood and Chrome to watch.

Comment

I didn't like the 'God did it' explanation about Starbuck, but then it was left a bit open ended, for all we know she was a Cylon not an angel, and instead of disappearing after talking to Lee, she didn't and merely walked off in a huff and fell into a sinkhole while Lee was admiring the view....

Or maybe one of the indiginious locals snatched her for dinner while Lee wasn't looking.

So open ended since we didn't see her float off in a big white glow or spout black wings and fly off.

Comment

Overall I liked the finale, and it is true that it's overly religious ending didn't come out of no where. It was constantly referenced throughout the series' run, especially in the fourth season. The only bit that bothers me is the last few minutes with the flash forward to modern New York. It was really unnecessary as it is implied that Humans and Cylons would intermingle with the natives after settling on Earth.

Ideally the episode should've ended with Adama overlooking the valley next to Roslin's grave. The simplicity of the scene along with Bear McCreary's beautiful score would've made for a powerful send off for the series.

Comment

Deus ex machina comments are redundant. The whole series centered around religious belief for Fraks sake. I think what gets people riled up is the idea that divine intervention takes away the importance of the characters actions assuming 'god did it'. But let's stop and ask, did god do it? Yes there is clearly a higher power at work, but who's to say it's God. Given that we know that there have already been countless generations and numerous cycles of this war and rebuild THAT WE KNOW OF, what's to say that there hasn't been a plethora of cycles we don't know about. There could be a man, cylon or mixed race hundreds of thousands of years more advanced than the shows timeline with powerful but not limitless abilities to help shape the outcome of this situation. The angels could be a transmitted consciousness to the minds of baltar and 6, a consciousness which lives on after their death. Maybe Kara is a clone, or an advanced hologram or who cares, the point is something or someone wanted to shape the outcome of this conflict and given that 'it' didn't have the omnipotent power to alter reality, 'it' instead relied on the power of suggestion and the genetic blueprints of a savour in Kara.

As for Bill, it was sad to say good bye but he had lost the 2 most important things in his life, he was old and I think the purpose of the flash backs was to demonstrate that he could not ever be anything other than the commander of a Battlestar. There was no place for him in this new beginning and despite his promise to build a cabin I think he would've ended it all soon after burying Ros and that's why he says good bye to Lee.

It was nice to see 6 and Baltar come full circle, and allow my favourite character to finally find some peace.

My issue is the idea that all the cylons were at the colony and the colonial acceptance of abandoning technology. I think Moore could've made it more believable with a little more effort.

All in all though I felt it was a very compelling and poignant finale to a tremendous show

Comment

I enjoyed it overall (just spent a few months watching the entire series), but there are details that break off small pieces from your heart. Why did both of the Adama's have to be tragic hero's? Bill loses his love, loses his ship, leaves his son and doesn't even say goodbye to Tigh! He saves humanity but loses everything. Lee loses his love, loses his dad, loses the presidency and he's alone too! And why is Starbuck so angry with Lee in that final conversation? Also - is it possible that some of those cylons could still be alive 150 000 years later? Do they age? Questions, questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X