Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Default Re: One error about Vala Mal doran's history?

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...
    That's what I thought... but in Unending, Vala aged along with the rest of them. At the same rate, too. So that means that she's around the same age as the rest of them, besides Teal'c and Landry, of course.

It's probably just a case of typical Jasec knocking some chick up when he was 15... so he became a father at 16... in fact, that could be the way they work. Getting married at 16. It even happens in some cultures on Earth... so hey!
    And since Vala would be 40-ish/late thirties around that time... and she was a host for 10 years (more or less... it really can't have been that long), then that pretty much matches up, with a couple of years to spare, too!

If Jasec was 16 when Vala was born, and she's 40 now, add another 10 years for the time she was a host and that would make him 66. Fred Willard is 70, so that almost matches up.

Yes, I took a lot of assumptions, but in my mind, that works.
    Last edited by CaramelMonkey; January 6th, 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
    That's what I thought... but in Unending, Vala aged along with the rest of them. At the same rate, too. So that means that she's around the same age as the rest of them, besides Teal'c and Landry, of course.
    Ooh. Good point, that. 'Unending' and her aging slipped my mind.
    Your assumptions/scenario do make sense, tho'.

But I still don't know why I think that Vala was only a host for a 'couple of years'... *shrugs*

Sydney, Australia..centre of the Commonwealth

When Vala was on trial during the "Mal Doran" it was noted she was host for only 7 years I believe, that being so, Qetesh must have changed hosts, as indeed Apophis pleaded with SG1 to do like wise
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.
    Didn't Selmak change hosts aswell from the old woman/man to Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s View Post
    Didn't Selmak change hosts aswell from the old woman/man to Jacob
    And Amonet changed hosts from someone to Sha're...

Quote Originally Posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
    And Amonet changed hosts from someone to Sha're...
    True on both counts

Quote Originally Posted by Aylomen View Post
    There is one thing i have always been wondering about.
    Vala Mal doran was a former host of a gua'uld, and thus i would guess she was very old... But still, in season 10, ep 18 "family ties" she met her father.... how is that possible?
    Is this a error in the history making, or is it something i have missed?
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure she wasn't old ! We rightly, when she visits "her people" on the desert planet it gives a slight indication to her age . EDIT:As PJ said !

CaramelMonkey: Marriage in some cultures is 9,no, 6!!!! (It's true ! Short life spans ...)

Chief Master Sergeant MarieWynn's Avatar

In Prometheus Unbound:

Vala: Ten years ago, a Tok’Ra incited a rebellion
    on my planet. When people rose up against
    the ruling Goa’uld, and once the Jaffa
    had been overcome, the Goa’uld was captured
    alive, tortured, and beaten for days
    on end. I was host to that Goa’uld at
    the time. The people didn’t understand
    that it was the symbiont that had ruled
    over them so harshly. I guess the Tok’Ra
    felt responsible. He rescued me, removed
    the Goa’uld symbiont, nursed me back
    to health.

In the Powers that Be, Vala says that she was only responsible for the past 4 years of interactions with that planet. Which could mean that she had only been there 4 years ago after being freed from Qetesh.

In Continuum, Qetesh states that Ba'al had not let her out of his sight in fifty years, but that could mean he was there when she took Vala as host. He probably made sure of it actually.

Athena claims that Vala knew her, and then does the glowy eye thing in Momento Mori.

So from this, I have gathered three explanations:
    1) The writers really didn't have Vala's timeline hammered out and probably still don't.

2) Vala lied to Daniel either upon first meeting him, at the trial, or both.

3) Vala was taken as a host at a young age, maybe 16 since she did mention having a fiance at one point. She was freed after playing host for a short period (which, I think it was Daniel that mentioned the length and only as a "short time" tho not sure what episode), long enough to cause hell on her homeworld and encounter Athena. If she was freed 10 years prior to season 8, then it would make sense for her to be struggling until finding the planet Qetesh ruled over four years prior to season 9. So the timelines mentioned work with her still being just a normal human who ages the same as us and it would be believable to run into her father.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieWynn View Post
    Spoiler:
    In Prometheus Unbound:

Vala: Ten years ago, a Tok’Ra incited a rebellion
    on my planet. When people rose up against
    the ruling Goa’uld, and once the Jaffa
    had been overcome, the Goa’uld was captured
    alive, tortured, and beaten for days
    on end. I was host to that Goa’uld at
    the time. The people didn’t understand
    that it was the symbiont that had ruled
    over them so harshly. I guess the Tok’Ra
    felt responsible. He rescued me, removed
    the Goa’uld symbiont, nursed me back
    to health.

In the Powers that Be, Vala says that she was only responsible for the past 4 years of interactions with that planet. Which could mean that she had only been there 4 years ago after being freed from Qetesh.

In Continuum, Qetesh states that Ba'al had not let her out of his sight in fifty years, but that could mean he was there when she took Vala as host. He probably made sure of it actually.

Athena claims that Vala knew her, and then does the glowy eye thing in Momento Mori.

So from this, I have gathered three explanations:
    1) The writers really didn't have Vala's timeline hammered out and probably still don't.

2) Vala lied to Daniel either upon first meeting him, at the trial, or both.

3) Vala was taken as a host at a young age, maybe 16 since she did mention having a fiance at one point. She was freed after playing host for a short period (which, I think it was Daniel that mentioned the length and only as a "short time" tho not sure what episode), long enough to cause hell on her homeworld and encounter Athena. If she was freed 10 years prior to season 8, then it would make sense for her to be struggling until finding the planet Qetesh ruled over four years prior to season 9. So the timelines mentioned work with her still being just a normal human who ages the same as us and it would be believable to run into her father.
    Hmmm... If I remember rightly, that planet was obtained in a conquest and given to Qetesh, so she didn't necessarily lie .

EDIT: Spoilers for size .

Quote Originally Posted by MarieWynn View Post
    In Prometheus Unbound:

Isn't that because Vala has Quetesh's memories, and Quetesh met Athena at some point in a past?
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43615&dateline=1271236653 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1271236653</a>

Not forgetting that Vala continued posing as Qetesh even after the Symbiote was removed, for how long she got away with it, maybe a few years at least

maybe she was only a host for a few years or something

It was a short period. I can't remember what episode, but I know Vala mentions it to Daniel first and the rest of the SG-1 team the duration of being a host. It had been for a number of years, but nothing near the span of some Goa'ould. Skarra became a new host to a Goa'ould and so did Sharay (spelling? >__<). Qetesh was the same thing.

Actually if memory serves, in tokra part two we realise that cordesh, the tokra traitor switched hosts to avoid detection

People want to rationalize the Family Ties episode by believing that Vala was host for only a short time, but previous episodes contradict that idea. Other goa'uld recognize Vala as Katesh's host, and they speak to Vala about interactions in the distant past, in a manner that assumes Vala (without Katesh, now) will remember those events, implying Vala was host at the time of the events.

For one example, when Vala is hooked up to the memory device, Athena explains that she's searching for memories that Vala -- not a previous host -- has suppressed from long ago, when Athena helped Katesh/Vala find the Clavica Infinitus.

Why can't people just accept that the show's creators screwed up, badly? Family Ties was a broken concept from the beginning. It happens sometimes.

Default Re: One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Did Athena say how long ago she was searching for the memory? If Vala was a host for as long as Goa'uld are capable of having one then she would not be able to survive without the sarcophagus.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Default Re: One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Plus Sam has memories from Jolinar (and her previous hosts) that she suppressed but was still able to recall later on, despite not having lived them herself.

Not that I'm trying to save this episode's ridiculous premise or anything, I still think it was a waste of time (especially with it being cancelled already at the time) and money. But her being a host period of time also comes back later in Continuum, where she says something like having been at Ba'al's side for fifteen or fifty years. I always thought it was the latter which makes no sense at all if Vala was an adult at the time she was taken host and she and her father have normal human ages...