Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Probie

Default One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

There is one thing i have always been wondering about.
    Vala Mal doran was a former host of a gua'uld, and thus i would guess she was very old... But still, in season 10, ep 18 "family ties" she met her father.... how is that possible?
    Is this a error in the history making, or is it something i have missed?

Default Re: One error about Vala Mal doran's history?

Just because she was a a host doesn't mean she's old.

Take Tanith for example, he was a brand new goa'uld introduced at his very first implantation in season 4 (?), Vala could have been a similar case.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared with Petra!

Major General Pharaoh Hamenthotep's Avatar

Or an old Goa'uld moving into a new host.

Probie

well, i thought about that.
    But we know that the gua'uld is old (qetesh, based on old mythology)... and how many gua'uld in the story changes hosts?
    And we also know she was a former partner with Athena..also a old gua'uld...

If memory serves, wasn't she a host for only a couple of years? (wasn't there an episode where she mentions the duration?)

Probie

I have always thought about it, and i have seen all of it 3 times now, i have never seen/heard them mention anything about the duration.

But we know that the gua'uld was old (quetesh, based on old mythology).
    We know that she ruled a planet for a certain time.
    We know that she was once allied with Athena, also a old gua'uld, who later recognised Vala by appearance...
    And by the way, how many gua'uld in the series ever changes host? (in the time they were ruling anything anyway)

Probie

Also, in the beginning of sp 19, we see Athena talk about the helped quetesh loong ago (if a anciend gua'uld put a pressure on the word "long", well..)

i really dont know about this, was hoping anyone had some info, or maybe something i overlooked...
    sorry about partly double post btw, didnt know about the delay

Quote Originally Posted by Aylomen View Post
    Also, in the beginning of sp 19, we see Athena talk about the helped quetesh loong ago (if a anciend gua'uld put a pressure on the word "long", well..)

i really dont know about this, was hoping anyone had some info, or maybe something i overlooked...
    sorry about partly double post btw, didnt know about the delay
    {mod snip}

Vala served as the host to Qetesh do you not think Athena would have interacted with her at some point in this host body? She was at one time allied with Qetesh. It's quite possible that Athena had run into Qetesh at some point while in Vala's body. It could also be that, wait for it, Athena knew all about Vala's past because Athena is part of "The Trust". Therefore, even if she hadn't met Qetesh while she was in Vala's body she would still know about Vala.
    Last edited by KatG; January 4th, 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: personal attack/insult

Probie

{mod snip}

Again, all of your speculations are based on that a gua'uld would change the host... that it would have no reason to do, unless for some reason the host was too damaged, or it would find a more powerful host
    Tok'ra often changes hosts... gua'uld use sarkofagus, so they would not need to
    Last edited by KatG; January 4th, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: responce to deleted portion of previous post

Major General Pharaoh Hamenthotep's Avatar

well, i thought about that.
    But we know that the gua'uld is old (qetesh, based on old mythology)... and how many gua'uld in the story changes hosts?
    And we also know she was a former partner with Athena..also a old gua'uld...
    The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.
    Then i think it would be interesting to know why Quetesh did change host, if that is so...
    guess I'll never know then

Then i think it would be interesting to know why Quetesh did change host, if that is so...
    1. If there wasn't a sarcophagus and her old host was badly wounded.

2. Goa'uld are known for their vanity.

3. Qetesh had very planets under her rule. Lesser Goa'uld may change hosts more often (see #2).

Heh. Yeah. I tried re-watching some episodes, and re-listened to the 'shell game' audiobook...I don't think the exact (or approx.) duration was mentioned (so my 'recollection' of a 'couple of years' is most probably wrong, must have mixed it up w/ the 2k years figure of Baal's host in Continuum).
    There's 'many years' and 'relatively short', tho'.
    Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...

Quote Originally Posted by gotthammer View Post
    Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...
    that's what came to my mind. We don't know how long Vala's people live for anyway. We only got to see her for 2 seasons.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    We only got to see her for 2 seasons.
    A pity, that.
    I hope they still develop her (and the other SG-1 members) character in the future (even if it's just stuff like audiobooks and the sort. Tho' I personally would like to see a new feature-length thingy...or the series coming back. Not too fond of SGU, from what little I've seen).

I think there was one episode where people of this planet wanted to put Quetesh on a trial for all crimes he/she committed and Vala says something like: i was a host only for couple of years.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43615&dateline=1271236653 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1271236653</a>

{mod snip}

Again, all of your speculations are based on that a gua'uld would change the host... that it would have no reason to do, unless for some reason the host was too damaged, or it would find a more powerful host
    Tok'ra often changes hosts... gua'uld use sarkofagus, so they would not need to
    and ur speculating that they cannot or do not chnage hosts....when Yu was dying they mentioned he was too old to change host and his current host body was failing....maybe the same happened to Qu'tesh but she was able to get new host.just cu we dont have all the answers of her past doesnt mean its a plot hole or an error of some kind.

I'm pretty sure Vala was the last host of Qu'tesh and that Qu'tesh had many other hosts prior to Vala. I think its mentioned somewhere that she was only host for 10 years (?). Anyway, point is, she wasn't a host for an excessively long time so it would make sense that her father would still be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by kusanagi View Post
    I think there was one episode where people of this planet wanted to put Quetesh on a trial for all crimes he/she committed and Vala says something like: i was a host only for couple of years.
    The Powers That Be (season 9, episode 5)? I checked it (and one of the online script thingies), and that particular quote doesn't seem to be there; but I also recall that figure of 'a couple of years'...I just can't place/remember from where...

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

It can't of been that long because if she was really old, then wouldn't she have used the sarkofagus thousands of times and been driven insane like Daniel and Apophis's host was.