Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there was one episode where people of this planet wanted to put Quetesh on a trial for all crimes he/she committed and Vala says something like: i was a host only for couple of years.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aylomen View Post
      {mod snip}

Again, all of your speculations are based on that a gua'uld would change the host... that it would have no reason to do, unless for some reason the host was too damaged, or it would find a more powerful host
      Tok'ra often changes hosts... gua'uld use sarkofagus, so they would not need to
      and ur speculating that they cannot or do not chnage hosts....when Yu was dying they mentioned he was too old to change host and his current host body was failing....maybe the same happened to Qu'tesh but she was able to get new host.just cu we dont have all the answers of her past doesnt mean its a plot hole or an error of some kind.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Vala was the last host of Qu'tesh and that Qu'tesh had many other hosts prior to Vala. I think its mentioned somewhere that she was only host for 10 years (?). Anyway, point is, she wasn't a host for an excessively long time so it would make sense that her father would still be alive.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
          I think there was one episode where people of this planet wanted to put Quetesh on a trial for all crimes he/she committed and Vala says something like: i was a host only for couple of years.
          The Powers That Be (season 9, episode 5)? I checked it (and one of the online script thingies), and that particular quote doesn't seem to be there; but I also recall that figure of 'a couple of years'...I just can't place/remember from where...
          sigpic

Comment

It can't of been that long because if she was really old, then wouldn't she have used the sarkofagus thousands of times and been driven insane like Daniel and Apophis's host was.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
              Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...
              That's what I thought... but in Unending, Vala aged along with the rest of them. At the same rate, too. So that means that she's around the same age as the rest of them, besides Teal'c and Landry, of course.

It's probably just a case of typical Jasec knocking some chick up when he was 15... so he became a father at 16... in fact, that could be the way they work. Getting married at 16. It even happens in some cultures on Earth... so hey!
              And since Vala would be 40-ish/late thirties around that time... and she was a host for 10 years (more or less... it really can't have been that long), then that pretty much matches up, with a couple of years to spare, too!

If Jasec was 16 when Vala was born, and she's 40 now, add another 10 years for the time she was a host and that would make him 66. Fred Willard is 70, so that almost matches up.

Yes, I took a lot of assumptions, but in my mind, that works.
              Last edited by CaramelMonkey; 06 January 2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
                That's what I thought... but in Unending, Vala aged along with the rest of them. At the same rate, too. So that means that she's around the same age as the rest of them, besides Teal'c and Landry, of course.
                Ooh. Good point, that. 'Unending' and her aging slipped my mind.
                Your assumptions/scenario do make sense, tho'.

But I still don't know why I think that Vala was only a host for a 'couple of years'... *shrugs*
                sigpic

Comment

When Vala was on trial during the "Mal Doran" it was noted she was host for only 7 years I believe, that being so, Qetesh must have changed hosts, as indeed Apophis pleaded with SG1 to do like wise
                  My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                  sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                    The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.
                    Didn't Selmak change hosts aswell from the old woman/man to Jacob
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ar3s View Post
                      Didn't Selmak change hosts aswell from the old woman/man to Jacob
                      And Amonet changed hosts from someone to Sha're...

Comment

Originally posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
                        And Amonet changed hosts from someone to Sha're...
                        True on both counts
                        My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                        sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Aylomen View Post
                          There is one thing i have always been wondering about.
                          Vala Mal doran was a former host of a gua'uld, and thus i would guess she was very old... But still, in season 10, ep 18 "family ties" she met her father.... how is that possible?
                          Is this a error in the history making, or is it something i have missed?
                          Yeah, I'm fairly sure she wasn't old ! We rightly, when she visits "her people" on the desert planet it gives a slight indication to her age . EDIT:As PJ said !

CaramelMonkey: Marriage in some cultures is 9,no, 6!!!! (It's true ! Short life spans ...)

Comment

In Prometheus Unbound:

Vala: Ten years ago, a Tok’Ra incited a rebellion
                            on my planet. When people rose up against
                            the ruling Goa’uld, and once the Jaffa
                            had been overcome, the Goa’uld was captured
                            alive, tortured, and beaten for days
                            on end. I was host to that Goa’uld at
                            the time. The people didn’t understand
                            that it was the symbiont that had ruled
                            over them so harshly. I guess the Tok’Ra
                            felt responsible. He rescued me, removed
                            the Goa’uld symbiont, nursed me back
                            to health.

In the Powers that Be, Vala says that she was only responsible for the past 4 years of interactions with that planet. Which could mean that she had only been there 4 years ago after being freed from Qetesh.

In Continuum, Qetesh states that Ba'al had not let her out of his sight in fifty years, but that could mean he was there when she took Vala as host. He probably made sure of it actually.

Athena claims that Vala knew her, and then does the glowy eye thing in Momento Mori.

So from this, I have gathered three explanations:
                            1) The writers really didn't have Vala's timeline hammered out and probably still don't.

2) Vala lied to Daniel either upon first meeting him, at the trial, or both.

3) Vala was taken as a host at a young age, maybe 16 since she did mention having a fiance at one point. She was freed after playing host for a short period (which, I think it was Daniel that mentioned the length and only as a "short time" tho not sure what episode), long enough to cause hell on her homeworld and encounter Athena. If she was freed 10 years prior to season 8, then it would make sense for her to be struggling until finding the planet Qetesh ruled over four years prior to season 9. So the timelines mentioned work with her still being just a normal human who ages the same as us and it would be believable to run into her father.
                            sigpic
                            Save the Stargate Movies Campaign: Official Site, LiveJournal, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
                            My Fanfiction I sail on certain 'ships, but try to avoid the fluff!

Comment

Originally posted by MarieWynn View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              In Prometheus Unbound:

Vala: Ten years ago, a Tok’Ra incited a rebellion
                              on my planet. When people rose up against
                              the ruling Goa’uld, and once the Jaffa
                              had been overcome, the Goa’uld was captured
                              alive, tortured, and beaten for days
                              on end. I was host to that Goa’uld at
                              the time. The people didn’t understand
                              that it was the symbiont that had ruled
                              over them so harshly. I guess the Tok’Ra
                              felt responsible. He rescued me, removed
                              the Goa’uld symbiont, nursed me back
                              to health.

In the Powers that Be, Vala says that she was only responsible for the past 4 years of interactions with that planet. Which could mean that she had only been there 4 years ago after being freed from Qetesh.

In Continuum, Qetesh states that Ba'al had not let her out of his sight in fifty years, but that could mean he was there when she took Vala as host. He probably made sure of it actually.

Athena claims that Vala knew her, and then does the glowy eye thing in Momento Mori.

So from this, I have gathered three explanations:
                              1) The writers really didn't have Vala's timeline hammered out and probably still don't.

2) Vala lied to Daniel either upon first meeting him, at the trial, or both.

3) Vala was taken as a host at a young age, maybe 16 since she did mention having a fiance at one point. She was freed after playing host for a short period (which, I think it was Daniel that mentioned the length and only as a "short time" tho not sure what episode), long enough to cause hell on her homeworld and encounter Athena. If she was freed 10 years prior to season 8, then it would make sense for her to be struggling until finding the planet Qetesh ruled over four years prior to season 9. So the timelines mentioned work with her still being just a normal human who ages the same as us and it would be believable to run into her father.
                              Hmmm... If I remember rightly, that planet was obtained in a conquest and given to Qetesh, so she didn't necessarily lie .

EDIT: Spoilers for size .

Comment

Originally posted by MarieWynn View Post
                                In Prometheus Unbound:

Isn't that because Vala has Quetesh's memories, and Quetesh met Athena at some point in a past?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X