Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One error about Vala Mal Doran's history?

There is one thing i have always been wondering about.
    Vala Mal doran was a former host of a gua'uld, and thus i would guess she was very old... But still, in season 10, ep 18 "family ties" she met her father.... how is that possible?
    Is this a error in the history making, or is it something i have missed?

Just because she was a a host doesn't mean she's old.

Take Tanith for example, he was a brand new goa'uld introduced at his very first implantation in season 4 (?), Vala could have been a similar case.
    Originally posted by Callista
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Originally posted by HPMom
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Or an old Goa'uld moving into a new host.

Comment

well, i thought about that.
        But we know that the gua'uld is old (qetesh, based on old mythology)... and how many gua'uld in the story changes hosts?
        And we also know she was a former partner with Athena..also a old gua'uld...

Comment

If memory serves, wasn't she a host for only a couple of years? (wasn't there an episode where she mentions the duration?)
          sigpic

Comment

I have always thought about it, and i have seen all of it 3 times now, i have never seen/heard them mention anything about the duration.

But we know that the gua'uld was old (quetesh, based on old mythology).
            We know that she ruled a planet for a certain time.
            We know that she was once allied with Athena, also a old gua'uld, who later recognised Vala by appearance...
            And by the way, how many gua'uld in the series ever changes host? (in the time they were ruling anything anyway)

Comment

Also, in the beginning of sp 19, we see Athena talk about the helped quetesh loong ago (if a anciend gua'uld put a pressure on the word "long", well..)

i really dont know about this, was hoping anyone had some info, or maybe something i overlooked...
              sorry about partly double post btw, didnt know about the delay

Comment

Originally posted by Aylomen View Post
                Also, in the beginning of sp 19, we see Athena talk about the helped quetesh loong ago (if a anciend gua'uld put a pressure on the word "long", well..)

i really dont know about this, was hoping anyone had some info, or maybe something i overlooked...
                sorry about partly double post btw, didnt know about the delay
                {mod snip}

Vala served as the host to Qetesh do you not think Athena would have interacted with her at some point in this host body? She was at one time allied with Qetesh. It's quite possible that Athena had run into Qetesh at some point while in Vala's body. It could also be that, wait for it, Athena knew all about Vala's past because Athena is part of "The Trust". Therefore, even if she hadn't met Qetesh while she was in Vala's body she would still know about Vala.
                Last edited by KatG; 04 January 2010, 04:00 PM. Reason: personal attack/insult
                How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

{mod snip}

Again, all of your speculations are based on that a gua'uld would change the host... that it would have no reason to do, unless for some reason the host was too damaged, or it would find a more powerful host
                  Tok'ra often changes hosts... gua'uld use sarkofagus, so they would not need to
                  Last edited by KatG; 04 January 2010, 04:02 PM. Reason: responce to deleted portion of previous post

Comment

well, i thought about that.
                    But we know that the gua'uld is old (qetesh, based on old mythology)... and how many gua'uld in the story changes hosts?
                    And we also know she was a former partner with Athena..also a old gua'uld...
                    The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                      The Goa'uld in the story didn't change hosts because it makes the characters instantly recognisable... and audiences like to be able to recognise characters, makes the programs much easier to watch They justified it by saying changing hosts is dangerous for both the symbiote and the host. The only one who did change hosts that I can think of is Lantash, changing from Martouf to Eliot..

Vala isn't hundreds of years old and there was an episode with her father so logically the only explanation is that Vala was only a host to Qetesh for a short time.
                      Then i think it would be interesting to know why Quetesh did change host, if that is so...
                      guess I'll never know then

Comment

Then i think it would be interesting to know why Quetesh did change host, if that is so...
                        1. If there wasn't a sarcophagus and her old host was badly wounded.

2. Goa'uld are known for their vanity.

3. Qetesh had very planets under her rule. Lesser Goa'uld may change hosts more often (see #2).
                        How to Survive an Alien Attack

Comment

Heh. Yeah. I tried re-watching some episodes, and re-listened to the 'shell game' audiobook...I don't think the exact (or approx.) duration was mentioned (so my 'recollection' of a 'couple of years' is most probably wrong, must have mixed it up w/ the 2k years figure of Baal's host in Continuum).
                          There's 'many years' and 'relatively short', tho'.
                          Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                            Then again, one can also assume that Vala and her dad may have longer lifespans than Terran humans or something...
                            that's what came to my mind. We don't know how long Vala's people live for anyway. We only got to see her for 2 seasons.
                            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                              We only got to see her for 2 seasons.
                              A pity, that.
                              I hope they still develop her (and the other SG-1 members) character in the future (even if it's just stuff like audiobooks and the sort. Tho' I personally would like to see a new feature-length thingy...or the series coming back. Not too fond of SGU, from what little I've seen).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X