Ancient Communication Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Communication Stones

First seen in SG1, and now a common feature in SGU. I'd like to discuss here their usage, their meaning, and whether they should be allowed or not.

Originally, we thought them to be simple devices, that put two people in a coma-like state, whilst their minds took control of another's body (Daniel and Vala in this case). Come SGU, we've come to the conclusion that minds actually swap instead. I'm not sure why there is a difference, I may have missed an explanation somewhere.

Anyway, suffice to say, when Daniel and Vala used them, they unknowingly caused the deaths of the couple in the Ori Galaxy. That has been the only real use of them since. Now we move on to SGU where these stones are seemingly used in every episode.

We've got people doing everyday things, whilst actually using another persons body. Be it fighting, drinking, having sex etc. Surely this would break some moral rules somewhere along the line? It also complicates the more dark area.

If someone was murdered or raped on the Destiny, the culprit could no doubt simply state that they weren't actually themselves, and that another had control of their body; there would be no way to prove their word.

Using the rape / murder as an example there, I've no doubt people would have others. But anyway, I know (for instance in SGU) there is a good cause for them, but is the cause justified?
    sigpic
    It's Probin' Time!

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
    Originally, we thought them to be simple devices, that put two people in a coma-like state, whilst their minds took control of another's body (Daniel and Vala in this case). Come SGU, we've come to the conclusion that minds actually swap instead. I'm not sure why there is a difference, I may have missed an explanation somewhere.
    Somewhat explained. When stones are first used with console in SG-1, the connection is one way until stones on the other end are also connected to a console.
    Spoiler:
    That two-way connection is quickly severed when Prior destroys console on other end.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a contradiction with Atlantis, where stones result in a body swap, despite console being activated only on one end. This might have something to do with persons affected being in the same galaxy, however. You might only need consoles on both ends when using communication stones intergalactically.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

a single terminal can swap minds when in proximity.

at long distances, the swap goes one-way

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        a single terminal can swap minds when in proximity.

at long distances, the swap goes one-way
        So, they don't swap on the Destiny?

I think it was to do with the bracelets Vala and Daniel had on. Because of them, the swap couldn't take place, and so, Vala and Daniel just went inside the bodies.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

There are terminals on both ends here, though. So yeah, it would make sense if "short" range two-way communication would be possible with just one terminal.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I think you guys are missing the point..

I'm here more so to discuss whether these stones would breach any 'moral' standards and the like, than I am to discuss the inconsistancies. Maybe I should have been more specific about that, but obviously wasn't.
            sigpic
            It's Probin' Time!

Comment

So, they don't swap on the Destiny?
              *sigh*

a single terminal at one end, and the swap taking place at millions of lightyears, means the swap is one-way.

i'm not really a guy of ethics and morals

Comment

Working...
              X