Why so much faith in Eli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why so much faith in Eli?

I don't understand why so much faith is put in Eli over Rush...I get it Eli is a smart kid and Rush is kind of a d***** bag but really? Rush has been at this alot longer....he's worked with ancient tech and language for much longer...why put your faith for survival in a drop out?
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Because they don't trust Rush.

All of his expertise goes out the window when you realize that he could be selling you BS.

Comment

the devil you know
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I like the dueling banjos they have going. Beats the hell out of the McKay/Carter one man bands they had going in the other shows. The faith in Eli started when he broke the code Rush could not. It shows he has talents that exceed Rush's own, and with time he can develop those to be the second opinion on Destiny. Looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          Because they don't trust Rush.

All of his expertise goes out the window when you realize that he could be selling you BS.
          He wants to survive to though..what's good for him is whats good for the group
          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
            I like the dueling banjos they have going. Beats the hell out of the McKay/Carter one man bands they had going in the other shows. The faith in Eli started when he broke the code Rush could not. It shows he has talents that exceed Rush's own, and with time he can develop those to be the second opinion on Destiny. Looks good to me.
            TO be fair his code cracking was a good guess nothing more

Comment

He's Math Boy...dah

Comment

Probably because he figured out the Dakara Weapons Puzzle in a MONTH playing a MMORPG in his FREE time, versus Rush who'd been working on it for Two YEARS, FULL time, while he's a drop-out, he's definitely got a knack for Ancient tech.

Eli's also a civilian, he has no military training nor reason to follow any chain of command whatsoever on the ship, and thus he is completely free to speak his mind without restraint. While he does do work for Rush and Young, he doesn't HAVE too, but he likes to offer his assistance he can regardless.

He also doesn't pick sides.

While he respects and looks up to Rush, his interactions and conversations with the "Other-Rush" in "Time" almost looking as though he's some kind of "father" figure to him on the ship, he freely acknowledge's he's a "little crazy" and may sometimes go too far.

He also respects and will work for Young, when he thinks its in the best interests of everyone and maybe Rush isn't doing the right thing, if he was in Rush's camp, he wouldn't keep an eye on him for Young, or have reported the finding of the fake Icarus-planet.

The crew seem to trust him, to keep them aprised of whats happening on BOTH sides, when they see the power struggle and butting heads and trust him as the guy to tell them freely whats really going on.

I think that invariably puts a lot of trust in him as a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                  He wants to survive to though..what's good for him is whats good for the group
                  Not always. That's the point.

You don't know when he's being sincere.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    Not always. That's the point.

You don't know when he's being sincere.
                    What I mean is he wants to survive and he can't do that alone...he may have secrets but he's not homicidal

Comment

Yes, but there is still that untrustworthy middle ground between "I'm completely trustworthy" and "I want to kill everyone".

Comment

What I mean is he wants to survive and he can't do that alone...he may have secrets but he's not homicidal
                        I don't think he's homicidal, but he is most definitely willing to allow someone else to take enormous risks while he stands there and watches.

Eli is clearly a more open and honest person and, despite his lack of understanding about how "the real world" works, is still ultimately more believable as someone who is working for the best interest of everyone.

Good intentions or not, Rush just looks shady in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor View Post
                          I don't think he's homicidal, but he is most definitely willing to allow someone else to take enormous risks while he stands there and watches.

Eli is clearly a more open and honest person and, despite his lack of understanding about how "the real world" works, is still ultimately more believable as someone who is working for the best interest of everyone.

Good intentions or not, Rush just looks shady in comparison.
                          while thats true...Eli simply isn't as capable

Comment

while thats true...Eli simply isn't as capable
                            Capable or not, Eli has earned more or less everyone's trust. Rush, on the other hand, isn't really being trusted by anyone. Brody, Park, and Volker started to trust him but now I doubt any of them will after the truth coming out about the deception.

Rush's entire philosophy is that other people are just a means for his own ends. It's a great inconsistency (some would say hypocrisy) in his logic that he's unwilling to undertake the very risks he deems necessary for the "greater good."
                            sigpic

Comment

TO be fair his code cracking was a good guess nothing more
                              It was in Ancient, he had to crack something to be able to solve it. Especially when he knew it was correct but the game just reset on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X