X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GateWorld Cantina Chronicles

So this is TGCC.

It started off as an RP to follow on from what we at the Cantina called 'ATCU', which itself was a spin-off from the popular RP thread 'ATFU'. This thread continued much in the same fashion initially, but it soon became clear that things had changed and that the old RPing scenario no longer worked. Additionally, it was boring and had a lack of guidance and control, and ended up a huddled mess of plots, subplots and a load of things in the middle that weren't relevant to the central story. That's the past.

The present is that a new arc is about to begin, headed by Greg and P90. It's a direct continuation of the previous one (as we've very much established our own hybrid universe for the Cantina, and want to keep it) and will continue on the lives of the main cast of the previous one. Having said that, we've decided that because of the massive amount of confusion created as a consequence of those often irrelevant and poorly thought out sub-stories we're going to have to cut down a few things.

So here are the new rules.

1) There is a story already planned out for TGCC arcs, and that's the way it has to stay. If you want to join the adventure then feel free to contact Draygon and she'll fit you in. However we're leaning away from an RP. TGCC isn't here for that. It's here to tell a story, and the beginning, middle and end of that story has already been written down for us to go off. It's not about making your character big and explosive and all-powerful, and trying to lord over the other characters. That won't work, and we'll know immediately if it's happening and we will stop you.

2) So you want to join? If so we'll fit you in. You're not going to jump in randomly at a random point where you could damage the events of our story, and you're not going to have any funky powers. There's a playing field and we're all on it, including you and including I, and I want my playing field to be level.

3) Because this is not a traditional RP anymore, there are main characters and sub-characters. The main characters will be established, like the main cast of any good story, earlier on. Whereas the sub-characters maybe introduced later. That's not to say that the sub-characters will have any less a significent effect on the plot, but we know our story and which characters will carry it through and therefore will reshape little things in order to fit new additions in.

4) Concerned that these strict rules may effect your broad range of creative prowess? Don't be. Our adventures will always offer you somewhere to vent that creativity in your own unique way. We're all in thread together.

5) The danger of merging several scifi/fantasy franchises will now be addressed. The Cantina has very much established itself and its own universe, and that's one thats proved itself big enough to stick to. There's no need to use other franchises for ideas. We're all better than that. We have our imaginations and we will use them. We will create ideas, discuss them with each other and connect them to our plot. But they must be relevant. The Cantinaverse has certain elements rooted into its mythology, such as;
    • - Doctor Who stuff (The Cantina is a Tardis, captained by a Time Lord) - It's set in a universe parallel to that of Doctor Who, although with different events and none of their main characters or baddies.
    • - Firefly stuff (The Cantina's current shape is that of a Firefly, and Mapp's character has been previously influenced by Captain Mal of Serenity, but that's it - No reavers, no Alliance)
    • - Stargate stuff (No, you can't be an ancient/ascended/ori/superbeing). You can be a wraith, a human or any other small and relatively harmless humanoid creature.
    • - Other stuff (Okay, if the last arc taught us anything it was that we must stick to the mythology we have created now to avoid all of the confusing and unrelated subplots that don't go anywhere relevant to the central plot. Therefore I am forebidding the use of Star Wars/Halo/Farscape/Battlestar/other franchises in TGCC). Only things from the franchises above can be used, the other stuff WE decided to introduce. From this point forwards all stuff relating to franchises that aren't mentioned above, or haven't been accepted into canon by P90, Greg or myself are rendered null and void. This includes Force Powers, Ascended Powers, etc

6) Still want to join up? Read through our posts, get some of the story in mind and think about it. Do not think 'I know, I can have my character from another unrelated franchise jump in here and save the day!'. That will not work. If you have an idea regarding the events of the plot (and not your own subplot about your character and their own private mission to save the universe) then feel free to contact us and we can discuss it in private. It must relate to the story we are telling.

7) Do NOT clog up the thread with your own discussion. We're trying to tell a story here! <--- Yes, I can use this point to counter anything you have to throw at me.

8) This arc belongs to Draygon. Therefore it is her story, and only she can decide how the good guys defeat the bad guys, or the bad guys defeat the good guys because it is her story. Of course our characters will have subplots, but ONLY subplots that relate to the central plot. No unrelated subplots. They are simply pointless and will not be considered a part of it. Send in a character sheet with information on your character so we can see where to fit it in and how to alter it so it's balanced.

9) Want to know more?

- The GateWorld Cantina Wiki - All elements of the story, and previous stories, will be recorded here. If you're confused about anything (either because you don't understand the content or have simply failed to catch up to present posts) feel free to consult the wiki for that information, or simply contact any of the writers.

10) All of this is based on private discussion amongst the writers as well as private feedback from readers of the previous arc. We are changing it to benefit them as readers, and us as writers. The problem with simple RPing is that you can just make stuff up off the top of your head and it immediately becomes a part of what we're writing. That is not what telling a good story is about, and that is exactly what we aim to do.

To tell a good, gripping and ultimately satisfying story about the GateWorld Cantina and the characters of her universe. I hope this has been helpful. If you have any questions, contact someone privately - I refer you back to rule #7.

If you've been scared because of our strictness, then flee mortals flee...

If you're a lost and confused drunk, you've wandered into the wrong thread. The GateWorld Cantina was the first left at the 'Welcome New Members' thread. We don't serve beer here. Or nachos.
    Last edited by Admiral Mappalazarou; 28 October 2010, 12:26 PM.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

((i know mappy we can wait. ))

The Empress stood on the highest balcony in the citidel, her personal balcony. From this high the bustling people looked like specks of dust, particles of humanity drifting around the hub of their planet. Of course running an empire was never so easy as people describe it. But she couldnt feel that infernal Captain anywhere near the borders of her empire.

Benson: "Your highness....the delagtes have arrived at the citadel."

She turned to see her assistant in the room, clipboard in hand and waiting for her instruction.

Empress: "Excellent. Sunset is nearly upon us, we will conduct the meeting tomorrow."

The man nodded and bowed his way away from her. So far Benson had lasted a year in her highnesses company, a record you could say. The empress was accustomed to infiltrators, death threats and the occasional incompetent lackey, Benson was neither but he was privy to the most private oments of the Empresses life. People like that were no good after they bcame useless to her. They were no good for anything else.

She turned from the deep burgundy sunset of New Gallifrey and made her way inside her private chambers. It was time to consider her stratagy for tomorrows meeting.

ATCU
    Last edited by susanne1; 16 November 2009, 01:38 PM.
    2020 so bad I wanna go back to 2007. Hey guys.
    sigpic

Comment

(( GO MAPP! Here’s to great adventures...)

The one-time wraith queen, now wraith-timelord resistance leader watched as the sky of Tiberius darkened and the stars started to appear. It was these moments of calm that she cherished, due to their rarity. They never lasted long though, and sure enough there was the irritating buzz in the back of her mind of someone trying to get in contact with her. With a sigh, Dray answered the telepathic message.

Dray: What is it?

Hanath: We had a brief communication from one of the strike teams. Successful raid and they’re returning as soon as they can.

Dray allowed herself a smile. It was always good to get good news for a change. And the more success this small resistance had, then perhaps others would see that the Empress wasn’t all powerful

Hanath: And you will need to rest now if you are to speak with the other resistances tomorrow.

She winced at that. Partly because Hanath, though a loyal fighter and trusted second, was starting to sound like a mother hen again. The other reason was because she really hated long distance telepathy. But with the radio frequencies so closely monitored it was the best way t have a private conversation.

With one last glance at the sky, Dray made her way back inside. No rest for the wicked.

ATCU
      Last edited by Draygon; 16 November 2009, 01:58 PM.
      If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
      sigpic

Comment

you do realise its all explained here?

This storyline looks confusing...Say if I were interested in joining, how would I know where to jump in and introduce my own character?

The current main writers include myself, susanne and Draygon. We all wrote the last story arc together and are quite in tune with the back-story of the Cantina and her crew, so feel free to message any of us about any story updates or questions you may have. The characters in the adventures all have their own subplots to follow which are bound by a central plot that every character is a part of, so everyone always has their own path to write. Also since tracking posts in the home thread became trickier, we decided to message each other (or leave comments on their profiles) with the link to the previous story post attached (so we could subsequently follow the link and find the post straight away).

As for introducing your own character as a means to join in with the central adventure and your own personal subplot, we insist on messaging us first so that we can fit you in somewhere. Don’t feel hesitant though, I can promise that we can find you a place right away! Our imaginations are good like that.
        sigpic

Comment

(My turn )

His TARDIS, once his only semblance of home and his one constant companion, was dark. It's familiar and comforting hum was gone from the control room, as was the soft, illuminating green glow that used to be as welcoming to him as a fresh morning sun.....His TARDIS, once one of the most powerful machines in all of creation, now stood, gathering dust in a empty and damp cave. He had laid it to rest. Asleep. Just a dirty blue box hidden on a dirty rock of a planet.
          And what of its guest? Its ever persistant time traveler, forever going on one adventure after another?.......he was dead. At least.......that's what he told himself.......

P-90 laid back and looked up at the night sky and mused over his life. Just as he always did when he looked at those stars.

He found it strange to think now that he had ever travelled among them with such reckless abandon. Frolicking from one time to another.....from one world to another to see merely what was there. Sometimes alone or sometimes with a companion who he could show the universe to. Those were good times. Yet as he looked back on his life now all he could see was foolishness. A man who didn't want to grow up and stayed as the petulant child he began as. And now he had lost everything. Not that he had much to begin with. Though for a time he did have a home. Several in fact. Gallifrey to start, then Earth for a Time and then Finally The Cantina. In the end he lost them all. All his friends. All his family.

P-90 felt a tear roll accross his face........just as it did every time he looked at those stars.........
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

(And now me )
            Benson walked out of the Empress' apartmements and looked out of the windows as he walked down the halls. The sunset was beautiful, he supposed. But it didn't matter to him. His mind was on other things.

The Game that he played everyday. His opponets were the Resistance, others in the Empire, even the Empress herself. If he made one error too many he would lose... and therefore die. That sunset symbolized another stage of the game over, another to begin in the morning. When he would face more threats, more possible errors, more chances. As he walked to his rooms he thought to himself, planning.

The Game went on.
            Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

(if AR does not mind it (same for Susie) I'll post my intro here for one of my characters, me myself will appear later time (must contact P90....))

a pair of white eyes watched the man walk down the halls of the apartment complex from the Empress' rooms. Shortly following without a sound... Finally when the pair of eyes sawn Benson alone the voice that owned them spoke as she stepeed out of the shadows.

Nirza: Planning again are we?

Nirza was the only one that trusted Benson with her life, after all he had taken her in when she was outcasted from her clan on Nagrath near a dozen years ago. She was also the only one that knew he true plans and gave him the required info in exchange for cover and help in case of trial. Which thankfully none had come in either way.

She was dressed in the typical armor of her people, if it worked its needs it was used, her legs, arms, upper body, and waist were covered by steel and fabric of midnight purple and dark pink with traces of gold, spikes protruded from the shoulders and crisscrossed over her stomach. flexing as she walked. but not hiding the lovely hourglass figure of the former Dark Elf Sorceress

Comment

In the Cantina, at the end of a corridor that no one had used for many years, there was a room. It was cold and dark, as the life support had not been in disuse as long as the corridor. Two dimly lit stasis pods standing monolithically in a corner, the only light being cast from their frost-encrusted displays. The room is what used to be WingedPegasus' laboratory, and the pods contain her and her sister, Myn--or the body of her sister Myn.

On the readout of WP's pod, a single green light began to pulsate. The reanimation process begins--with a dream.

Her subconscious mind filtered through the memories that flashed brokenly before her eyes. The chaos of battle, the screams of Chosen soldiers as they fell before the machine they guarded. Working frantically at unfamiliar controls, desperately trying to retrieve her sister's soul before the machinery succumbed to damage received during battle. Holding the precious cartridge that contained her sister's life. Working in her lab, day after day, week after week, month after month, on recreating the destroyed machine, only to realize that the only possible way to finish was with a mineral substance found on one planet, located in a system deep within the Triangle of Light.

She saw herself putting away her tools and tidying the workspace she had called home for a year. The empty stasis pod sat next to Myn's, its door swung open in a deceptively inviting way. She sighed, glancing slowly about her familiar surroundings. Her goodbyes to the crewmembers blessed with longevity, (and in some cases, immortality) had been said, and failsafe arrangements had been made. There was nothing left to do now but wait. Wait for better times, when her world could return to the way it was. The way it was supposed to be. With one last look at her sister's sleeping form, she stepped inside her stasis chamber and closed her eyes, allowing her mind to drift back to the beginning of her work. The door automatically sealed, and a countdown began: 49 years, 355 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds.

The memories ended and WP's brown eyes flew open with a gasp--followed by a wrenching, painful cough. Her fingers clumsily found the emergency release button and pressed it, causing the door to the chamber to fly open. WP fell to her hands and knees, taking gulps of the stale oxygen flooding the room as her coughing slowed. She raised herself unsteadily to her feet, leaning heavily on a nearby table. A brief glance around her cobwebbed surroundings revealed no one.

WP: *hoarsely, from years of disuse* Well, don't everyone come and greet me at once.

((Hopefully that fits with the plot alright... ))
                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

The Empress sat alone in her chambers, staring at her reflection. She hadnt aged since this process began. This long and difficult process. Her hair still felt as soft and smooth as it ever had as she gently pulled the brush through it, her eyes still retained the fire they had when she'd first awoken. When she realised how wrong the universe had become thanks to her alter ego Susie. She could feel the memories welling up, bursting to be recognised, to be free....

-

She couldnt describe that glorious moment when the two blades pierced her abdomen, it was all so like a dream. Her alter ego cried out in pain and she wanted to cry out too, she was alive! she was free! The blades were playing a deadly game of tug of war with her soul but still, infuriatingly her alter ego maintained control, it seemed she had felt the Empress awake inside of her, she felt the power blossoming once again, and she kept the Empress from it, using the power instead as it shouldnt be used. She did it all....to save her friends. Pitiful. The Empress was left weakened, trapped in a fog of uncertainty with her alter ego. That weak little being. The universe wouldnt thank her for saving it, it would leave her soul to rot. Not that she cared in the slightest. The empress had to so something....she escaped, back into the universe that once upon a time her alter ego had fought so valiantly to save. The Empress.....was weakened.

-

Even now the Empress is weak, sitting at her mirror, brushing her hair, she is weak. Her powers were not meant to be used on such a scale, and creating New Gallifrey had taken a toll, she alone knew why Midna was a no-fly-zone. And she alone was now in control of the largest empire in the universe, spanning an entire galaxy, but it wasnt enough. plans would be made soon.....plans....for other galaxies.

ATCU
                  sigpic

Comment

Benson was brought out of thought by Nirza's voice form behind him.

Benson: Yes. I must always plan, Nirza. Otherwise we will die, both of us.

He was wearing a tan colored robe. The Silver fringe around his sleeves and collar marked his position, Assistant to the Empress. A position hard fought for, and one hard kept. Make an error, make the Empress angry, and she had no problem with executing you. So many attempted this position before him, but most hasn't even lasted a month. A year, three months, and four days, he held this position, and counting.
                    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                    ---
                    sigpic

Comment

Nirza shivered for a minute before answering Benson with simply a nod before saying quietly.

Nirza: The Empress..... is not her self, she thinks more then she should rather then be out or greeting the people in the throne hall.

Nirza went to the balconey to watch the goings on outside the building as she spoke, dozens of people milled about in a market of sorts.

Nirza: Do you think the pieces have moved in the right direction?

This life of constant vilgilance to remain alive reminded her a lot of a chessboard. her pale skin (a deep sky blue in color) absorbed the light of the rising sun, but her eyes made her look as if she were blind, which was direct oppisit.

Comment

The Empress slipped from her chair, from the corner of her eye she could see her reflection doing the same. With her nightly rituals completed she slipped under the blankets and waited for sleep to arrive. But half an hour later she opened her eyes in the darkness, it appeared sleep had passed her by. Slipping out from under the covers she grabbed the black silk dressing gown hanging by the bed and took to the corridors, hoping that exercise would tire her.

walking down the empty corridors the orange glow of the lights transformed her dressing gown into a shimmer of purples and blacks. She thought about her new stratagy.

ATCU
                        sigpic

Comment

Benson: They have... so far, anyway.

He stood beside her. His short pale brown hair rustling in the wind.

Benson: The Empress is my main concern. As you said she is not herself. She has changed and I do not think it for the better.
                          ---
                          sigpic

Comment

Nirza nodded her head. Benson was right.

Nirza: it is not for the good but for the worse, these changes, the pieces are moving on the board. we are those pieces. So that now begs the question.

She looked at him, her long raven black hair with midnight blue highlights wafted in the wind, it was about waist length and also not exactly clean if at all.

Nirza: Are you anticipating her moves rightly?

Comment

Benson looked at her, face calm and collected but there was worry in his eyes. He hesitated for a moment.

Benson: I hope so.
                              ---
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X