So this is TGCC.
It started off as an RP to follow on from what we at the Cantina called 'ATCU', which itself was a spin-off from the popular RP thread 'ATFU'. This thread continued much in the same fashion initially, but it soon became clear that things had changed and that the old RPing scenario no longer worked. Additionally, it was boring and had a lack of guidance and control, and ended up a huddled mess of plots, subplots and a load of things in the middle that weren't relevant to the central story. That's the past.
The present is that a new arc is about to begin, headed by Greg and P90. It's a direct continuation of the previous one (as we've very much established our own hybrid universe for the Cantina, and want to keep it) and will continue on the lives of the main cast of the previous one. Having said that, we've decided that because of the massive amount of confusion created as a consequence of those often irrelevant and poorly thought out sub-stories we're going to have to cut down a few things.
So here are the new rules.
1) There is a story already planned out for TGCC arcs, and that's the way it has to stay. If you want to join the adventure then feel free to contact Draygon and she'll fit you in. However we're leaning away from an RP. TGCC isn't here for that. It's here to tell a story, and the beginning, middle and end of that story has already been written down for us to go off. It's not about making your character big and explosive and all-powerful, and trying to lord over the other characters. That won't work, and we'll know immediately if it's happening and we will stop you.
2) So you want to join? If so we'll fit you in. You're not going to jump in randomly at a random point where you could damage the events of our story, and you're not going to have any funky powers. There's a playing field and we're all on it, including you and including I, and I want my playing field to be level.
3) Because this is not a traditional RP anymore, there are main characters and sub-characters. The main characters will be established, like the main cast of any good story, earlier on. Whereas the sub-characters maybe introduced later. That's not to say that the sub-characters will have any less a significent effect on the plot, but we know our story and which characters will carry it through and therefore will reshape little things in order to fit new additions in.
4) Concerned that these strict rules may effect your broad range of creative prowess? Don't be. Our adventures will always offer you somewhere to vent that creativity in your own unique way. We're all in thread together.
5) The danger of merging several scifi/fantasy franchises will now be addressed. The Cantina has very much established itself and its own universe, and that's one thats proved itself big enough to stick to. There's no need to use other franchises for ideas. We're all better than that. We have our imaginations and we will use them. We will create ideas, discuss them with each other and connect them to our plot. But they must be relevant. The Cantinaverse has certain elements rooted into its mythology, such as;
- - Doctor Who stuff (The Cantina is a Tardis, captained by a Time Lord) - It's set in a universe parallel to that of Doctor Who, although with different events and none of their main characters or baddies.
- - Firefly stuff (The Cantina's current shape is that of a Firefly, and Mapp's character has been previously influenced by Captain Mal of Serenity, but that's it - No reavers, no Alliance)
- - Stargate stuff (No, you can't be an ancient/ascended/ori/superbeing). You can be a wraith, a human or any other small and relatively harmless humanoid creature.
- - Other stuff (Okay, if the last arc taught us anything it was that we must stick to the mythology we have created now to avoid all of the confusing and unrelated subplots that don't go anywhere relevant to the central plot. Therefore I am forebidding the use of Star Wars/Halo/Farscape/Battlestar/other franchises in TGCC). Only things from the franchises above can be used, the other stuff WE decided to introduce. From this point forwards all stuff relating to franchises that aren't mentioned above, or haven't been accepted into canon by P90, Greg or myself are rendered null and void. This includes Force Powers, Ascended Powers, etc
6) Still want to join up? Read through our posts, get some of the story in mind and think about it. Do not think 'I know, I can have my character from another unrelated franchise jump in here and save the day!'. That will not work. If you have an idea regarding the events of the plot (and not your own subplot about your character and their own private mission to save the universe) then feel free to contact us and we can discuss it in private. It must relate to the story we are telling.
7) Do NOT clog up the thread with your own discussion. We're trying to tell a story here! <--- Yes, I can use this point to counter anything you have to throw at me.
8) This arc belongs to Draygon. Therefore it is her story, and only she can decide how the good guys defeat the bad guys, or the bad guys defeat the good guys because it is her story. Of course our characters will have subplots, but ONLY subplots that relate to the central plot. No unrelated subplots. They are simply pointless and will not be considered a part of it. Send in a character sheet with information on your character so we can see where to fit it in and how to alter it so it's balanced.
9) Want to know more?
- The GateWorld Cantina Wiki - All elements of the story, and previous stories, will be recorded here. If you're confused about anything (either because you don't understand the content or have simply failed to catch up to present posts) feel free to consult the wiki for that information, or simply contact any of the writers.
10) All of this is based on private discussion amongst the writers as well as private feedback from readers of the previous arc. We are changing it to benefit them as readers, and us as writers. The problem with simple RPing is that you can just make stuff up off the top of your head and it immediately becomes a part of what we're writing. That is not what telling a good story is about, and that is exactly what we aim to do.
To tell a good, gripping and ultimately satisfying story about the GateWorld Cantina and the characters of her universe. I hope this has been helpful. If you have any questions, contact someone privately - I refer you back to rule #7.
If you've been scared because of our strictness, then flee mortals flee...
If you're a lost and confused drunk, you've wandered into the wrong thread. The GateWorld Cantina was the first left at the 'Welcome New Members' thread. We don't serve beer here. Or nachos.