Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For a moment there I thought we were in trouble

Chief Master Sergeant erotavlas's Avatar

Default For a moment there I thought we were in trouble

'For a moment there I thought we were in trouble'

Regarding this quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. What do you guys think the significance of this was?

I thought is was a double meaning used by the writers. One the quote refers to an ending that is an open ended tragedy referred to as a Bolivian Army Ending (i.e. the viewers are left to decide for themselves what happens...do they live or die just like in Butch Cassidy). And that is exactly how the episode ends - with the viewer left to decide the outcome. In addition I think Rush says this to indicate that his own fate after stepping through the wormhole is unknown and left for the crew / viewers to think about what happened.

On the contrary it could also be that he actually meant it literally, meaning Rush thought they were in trouble but really he was relieved because he realized they were not. This example may be of further indication that Rush knows more than he letting on (i.e. he knew he would survive through the wormhole and it was caused by a solar flare, possibly even knowing it would send him back in time -- assuming he was able to determine this using the ships computer beforehand)

First Lieutenant Captain Obvious's Avatar

Default Re: For a moment there I thought we were in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    'For a moment there I thought we were in trouble'

Regarding this quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. What do you guys think the significance of this was?

I thought is was a double meaning used by the writers. One the quote refers to an ending that is an open ended tragedy referred to as a Bolivian Army Ending (i.e. the viewers are left to decide for themselves what happens...do they live or die just like in Butch Cassidy). And that is exactly how the episode ends - with the viewer left to decide the outcome. In addition I think Rush says this to indicate that his own fate after stepping through the wormhole is unknown and left for the crew / viewers to think about what happened.

On the contrary it could also be that he actually meant it literally, meaning Rush thought they were in trouble but really he was relieved because he realized they were not. This example may be of further indication that Rush knows more than he letting on (i.e. he knew he would survive through the wormhole and it was caused by a solar flare, possibly even knowing it would send him back in time -- assuming he was able to determine this using the ships computer beforehand)
    You are also forgetting that it was a way to reach out to his mathboy apprentice with a goofy movie quote and both validate Eli's obsessions and show that he is not so different from his mentor, that they speak the same language, but with different dialects (both literally and figuratively).

In reality, it was a very touching sentiment and it shows that Rush really cares way more for Eli than he lets on.
    Official Female Villain Advocate. I love those bad girls...
    If you don't like SGU, Don't watch it. If you watch SGU just to find reasons to complain, read this-http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...id-from-water/
    Quote Originally Posted by SBN View Post
    Yet here you are still whining about it (SGU)? Even my cat moves on to new things when a toy does not entertain her. Congrats, you have now just been notched a ring below my cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    Parents, have you ever just tried turning the TV off, sitting down with your kids...and hitting them?

Neat how they had the Colonel say it but it was really Eli who the situation represented.
    Stargate has done time resets before. I do believe this is the first double time resent - notice how Rush says it twice?
    Also, do they have the first Kino still? Or all those tender moments lost along with the James/Chloe death Eli /Medic memorium scene?
    Damn I'm bad with the character names in this series...
    The initial shock and disappointment in the Atlantis cancellation has faded, but its still looking like more and more of a bad idea.

Second Lieutenant

yo realize it like they are like commentors on a forum watching the movie and commenting at the same time? Like live stream....

I have no idea where that came from....................

i want that line to come back from time to time

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverInSpace View Post
    Also, do they have the first Kino still? Or all those tender moments lost along with the James/Chloe death Eli /Medic memorium scene?
    They are gone.. WE only got the second one imo, the one with Scott telling us what to do.

General

Not according to one of the Kinosodes; both Kinos were discovered by the crew of the new timeline.

I thought it was Rush's way of saying, we're pretty screwed, so let's take the only desperate chance we have.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    Not according to one of the Kinosodes; both Kinos were discovered by the crew of the new timeline.
    Yes, but if you paid close attention, there were really *three* kinos and the other one got lost
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

- Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
    Yes, but if you paid close attention, there were really *three* kinos and the other one got lost
    Spoiler:

Just kidding..I just wanted to mentally see you going back over the episode to see what you had missed,trying to find the third, lost, kino
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)

Seriously though guys, For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.
    Interested in trying out comics? Now is the perfect time with Marvel NOW!
    Happy 50th DOCTOR WHO, hope you have 50 more!

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by erotavlas View Post
    That's unlikely since he actually did die. At least the first time he said it - we see him lying dead or unconscious on the ground after Scott throws the Kino through the gate and it was his skull that was later found. So he didn't survive any longer than the rest of the crew and was in just as much trouble as everyone else.

He also died, again, in the new "second" timeline, having received no cure, without knowing that Scott had sent a new timeline-altering message.

Therefore, it's safe to assume that he didn't know anything more than the rest of the team and also had no ulterior motives.

General

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
    Spoiler:

Just kidding..I just wanted to mentally see you going back over the episode to see what you had missed,trying to find the third, lost, kino
    For a moment there, I thought I had to go back and watch the episode again.

...Eh, I'll do that anyway.

Second Lieutenant

For a moment there, I thought I had to go back and watch the episode again.
    Gotcha!

...Eh, I'll do that anyway.
    Good call, gonna watch it again tonight with my wife

Which kinosode shows them definitively recovering 2 kinos?

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
    Which kinosode shows them definitively recovering 2 kinos?
    It's Kinosode 18, which is down from the official site.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vte7LMnYV10
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

I had no idea there were Kinosodes. Loved 1-08. "Seems simple enough to me"

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    It's Kinosode 18, which is down from the official site.

Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vte7LMnYV10

Ooh, there are Kinosodes?!! Excellent, when I started watching SG:U I was thinking if they are Kinosodes!

And that is interesting, they just proved that the Alt-Realities changed the Prime Reality itself instead of creating a new one - since in that episode 1x08, they got 2 Kinos. Which means, everything is happening or returning back to Prime Reality.

Thanks for the link.

Probie

Speaking of which, are they finally out? If so, where? I opened a thread about this a while back but no one seemed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Laibcoms View Post
    Ooh, there are Kinosodes?!! Excellent, when I started watching SG:U I was thinking if they are Kinosodes!

And that is interesting, they just proved that the Alt-Realities changed the Prime Reality itself instead of creating a new one - since in that episode 1x08, they got 2 Kinos. Which means, everything is happening or returning back to Prime Reality.

Thanks for the link.
    I don't think there really is a "prime" reality anymore. Sure maybe at the beginning of the show the reality that WE were following was the prime one, but everyone in that reality is now dead since Scott never came back with the cure. So the reality that we're gonna be following from now on is a different one in which they get the last Scott's kino and hopefully fix all their problems.