This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
    I'm saying it was canceled and likely didn't have good ratings.
    The two aren't always correlated.

Comment

I have the suspicion that I'm not going to be around the SGU threads much longer.
      All I'm really doing here is just irritating the people that love the show by pointing this stuff out.
      I hardly love this show, so your opinions on it do not irritate me. It some of the other stuff you spout. But then again, you are entitled to those opinions, so feel free to continue spreading them.

I'm saying it was canceled and likely didn't have good ratings.
      This may be very true, but it is not always because a show is rubbish. It is often because it has no support from the network that is showing it. Space Above and Beyond, Firefly, Futurama; epic Sci-fi (of different sub-genre's, admittedly) which Fox, in it's it's wisedom, dropped without sticking around to see how it got on.
      Futurama was lucky to get re-aired. Others weren't.
      Fox wouldn't support it's series with promotion, advertising etc, or take a chance with fudnign for Sci-fi. I bet ya they wish they had now.
      I feel that SGU will continue, easily, into a second series. They have support, they have good writing (some of the time) and they, so far, have decent ratings.
      If episodes like Justice are to be the norm, then they'll do fine.
      sigpic
      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
        I feel that SGU will continue, easily, into a second series. They have support, they have good writing (some of the time) and they, so far, have decent ratings.
        If episodes like Justice are to be the norm, then they'll do fine.
        Well seeing as how their now filming the second season, I think they're easily continuing in to it. As for episodes like Justice, the reports coming in about Space and Justice are very positive, I read one article which said that they thought that a couple of the actors deserved emmy nominations for their work in those episodes. Maybe its hyperbole, but it in bringing it back to Justice it looks like the actions taken by the characters in Justice will have consequences, something that pleases me greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
          I hardly love this show, so your opinions on it do not irritate me. It some of the other stuff you spout. But then again, you are entitled to those opinions, so feel free to continue spreading them.
          Why would an opinion (something that is relative) irate?
          Isn't it understood that it is perception?

This may be very true, but it is not always because a show is rubbish. It is often because it has no support from the network that is showing it. Space Above and Beyond, Firefly, Futurama; epic Sci-fi (of different sub-genre's, admittedly) which Fox, in it's it's wisedom, dropped without sticking around to see how it got on.
          I tried to give Space A try and it wasn't making it for me either.
          Maybe I'm too young for it.

Futurama was lucky to get re-aired. Others weren't.
          Fox wouldn't support it's series with promotion, advertising etc, or take a chance with fudnign for Sci-fi. I bet ya they wish they had now.
          If episodes like Justice are to be the norm, then they'll do fine.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the ratings will hold.
          They weren't very faithful to Atlantis.

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Well seeing as how their now filming the second season, I think they're easily continuing in to it. As for episodes like Justice, the reports coming in about Space and Justice are very positive, I read one article which said that they thought that a couple of the actors deserved emmy nominations for their work in those episodes. Maybe its hyperbole, but it in bringing it back to Justice it looks like the actions taken by the characters in Justice will have consequences, something that pleases me greatly.
          I hope that is true.
          Consequences are good, Continuity is good,

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          The two aren't always correlated.
          Yes, I know.

Comment

Just finished watching this episode for the first time. Now I don't like Rush, to me he's always to happy to sacrifice someone else rather than do the dangerous stuff himself, like manipulating that scientist to get him to sit in the chair to test it for him, but oh my god, i can't believe Young left him on the planet! Leaving one of your team behind? That's not the Stargate Way! Very shocked by the ending.

I haven't seen the rest of the series yet but i'm sure Rush'll figure out the alien ship and a way to get himself back to Destiny and then Young is gonna have some problems. Kinda think he already does because Eli seems to know somethings up.

Comment

Originally posted by KateT View Post
              Just finished watching this episode for the first time. Now I don't like Rush, to me he's always to happy to sacrifice someone else rather than do the dangerous stuff himself, like manipulating that scientist to get him to sit in the chair to test it for him, but oh my god, i can't believe Young left him on the planet! Leaving one of your team behind? That's not the Stargate Way! Very shocked by the ending.

I haven't seen the rest of the series yet but i'm sure Rush'll figure out the alien ship and a way to get himself back to Destiny and then Young is gonna have some problems. Kinda think he already does because Eli seems to know somethings up.
              I've never liked Rush. Although...in S2 he does have his likeable moments.
              sigpic

Comment

I figured Rush would be back, why else would they maroon him on a planet with an alien ship. Judging by the discussion he will be back and I look forward to it. The episode was well done and the acting was great. The Greer moments were fantastic and like so many other I was LMAO when the others tried the alien potatoe.

The lengths Rush will go to in order to satify his graving for knowledge and understanding of the ancient technology is astounding. I am not sure that he got what he deserved, he is a bit of a liabiltiy but Young leaving him on the planet and trying to cover it up seems at odds with his earlier behaviour.
                At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Must say I agree with Blizzah on this one. Very uncharacteristic for Young given what we know of him so far. But very well done. I actually suspected Wray, because she's been aching to get in command (or rather to remove Young as commander) from day one.

Can't wait to get Rush back, he's my favorite character by quite some margin. Mainly because he's so ambiguous.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hello!

I just finished watching this episode.

I can understand why Young left Rush behind. Young thought that Rush was a threat to everyone. Young was also personally upset that he had been framed for Spenser's death. However Young was not being petty. Young was truly thinking about the welfare of the crew at the time.

However I know that Rush will be back. Rush was left on the planet with the alien ship. I know he will figure out how to use it. It might take a little time. I also feel that Destiny will bring him back in an odd sort of way. I kind of think that Rush is connected to Destiny somehow. I am hoping that when Rush comes back he will have started to believe that then ends do not always justify the means. I feel that Rush can be a great leader but he needs to see the whole picture.

I kind of think that maybe Wray would be best to be in charge. I mean she can be neutral and listen to both sides. I think that Wray is motivated to do what is best for everyone.

Comment

It's not the best part 1 of a finale (midseason or season).

Rush is really a monster, but so is Young, kind of.

Tomorrow, our first space battle in this part of the universe.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not really impressed by this episode; Stargate has done trial based episodes before and this episode is one of them but here's the twist, it's more serious. Kind of like Law & Order. While it is impressive we got to see Young's honor and willingness when it comes to situations like these (taking himself out of it, not doing anything knowing he's a possible subject) the rest of it is just a dull of a trial with characters attempting to defend Young by stating how good he is, how he couldn't of gotten that gun and how he might of been framed, they do attempt to show something of the characters by defending him; integrity, shiftiness, general empathy but I can't remember anything that ever really grew the characters.

The most amazing thing about this episode is that it proves how predictable this show really is, I knew that the gun would be found in Young's room, I knew Rush would try to flip the situation so that he could utilize the chair and I knew that someone would probably sit on that chair. This show tries to be unpredictable, tries to be dynamic and interesting but when you have a forced rivarly, when you have obvious intentions than doesn't that deter the unpredictability? Heck I even predicted that they would somehow get into a fight at the end. I was somewhat impressed at the fact that it was a suicide and how they try to trick us into thinking it's not Rush but overall, it's oddly generic which is ironic judging by how the creators told us this would be a new and unexpected version of Stargate.

The fight scene in this is terrible. I didn't care about Young v. Rush and I still don't care now; seeing them attempt a Lost-like fight scene just made me want to take the remote and turn it to something else and things like "We're never done" and the overly violent tones didn't help one bit. I get that you need to have conflict in order to have a show and grow the characters but their fight constantly got in the way of the characters, it didn't show Young as a leader or Rush as a person who's connection with Destiny is mysterious, they just showed them as two different people who just happened to clash and having them fight in the 10th episode is overkill to me. This fight would be done way, way better in "The Greater Good" when they actually had a reason to fight and when they actually sounded convincing fighting, giving off compassionate phrases instead of generic sayings.

This doesn't have anything to do with Stargate but it is trial related so...

Back from the grave.

Comment

An alright ep.

I liked how Greer tricked the guys with the sweet potato. It looked like Corned Beef.

Can't say I'm sorry to see Spencer gone.

There's no way in hell Eli could see the gun in there. What is he Superman now?

Silly Franklin sitting in the chair. That looked painful.

Our first look at an alien spaceship. Very intriguing.

Although Rush kinda deserved what he got. I would have been seriously bummed if he was out of the show for good.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've never been a big fan of the trial episodes that sci-fi shows are so very fond of writing for some reason, so a lot of that bored me, but it did surprise me that Rush set him up, because I thought he was better than that. (On no real basis, except maybe I just like Robert Carlyle so much that there's a little bleed-through there.)

And then it surprised me even more that Young left him on the planet, because I thought he was better than that, and I think in his case the show set me up to believe that. So, no moral high ground claimed by either of them, which I thought was an interesting way to end that story, and it made up for the trial portion.
                            sigpic

Comment

At the end of Justice, we see how far astray Young has gotten and how messed up Rush is. Sorry Zombies, but I did care about both of them in the inevitable fight scene. I have never followed Law and Order nor Lost. Not sure why folks are constantly comparing shows against one another. The reality is there are no new stories ever in our human existence, only new to you. It has all been told before, just add your scifi, western, legal, history, modern suburbia, fantasy, etc. preference to it. The point should be, did this show work for you?

The trail is typical of what people do, try to do the correct, civilized thing, especially in the face of chaos. People desperately clinging to structure as it's slipping away. I can understand both Young and Rush in their respectively distorted views of reality. They are both lost in shades of grey.

Many folks have mentioned how much more they enjoyed this show when watching several episodes at a time. As did I. In light of this show having a long story arc, it works for me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                                Many folks have mentioned how much more they enjoyed this show when watching several episodes at a time. As did I. In light of this show having a long story arc, it works for me.
                                I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable, not that I'm including SGU in the category of mediocre. But anyone who watched it live and didn't like it much ought to give it another chance.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X