Page 113 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1363103110111112113 114115116 LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2304

Thread: 'Justice' (110) General Discussion

Default Re: 'Justice' (110) General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KateT View Post
    Just finished watching this episode for the first time. Now I don't like Rush, to me he's always to happy to sacrifice someone else rather than do the dangerous stuff himself, like manipulating that scientist to get him to sit in the chair to test it for him, but oh my god, i can't believe Young left him on the planet! Leaving one of your team behind? That's not the Stargate Way! Very shocked by the ending.

I haven't seen the rest of the series yet but i'm sure Rush'll figure out the alien ship and a way to get himself back to Destiny and then Young is gonna have some problems. Kinda think he already does because Eli seems to know somethings up.
    I've never liked Rush. Although...in S2 he does have his likeable moments.

I figured Rush would be back, why else would they maroon him on a planet with an alien ship. Judging by the discussion he will be back and I look forward to it. The episode was well done and the acting was great. The Greer moments were fantastic and like so many other I was LMAO when the others tried the alien potatoe.

The lengths Rush will go to in order to satify his graving for knowledge and understanding of the ancient technology is astounding. I am not sure that he got what he deserved, he is a bit of a liabiltiy but Young leaving him on the planet and trying to cover it up seems at odds with his earlier behaviour.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Must say I agree with Blizzah on this one. Very uncharacteristic for Young given what we know of him so far. But very well done. I actually suspected Wray, because she's been aching to get in command (or rather to remove Young as commander) from day one.

Can't wait to get Rush back, he's my favorite character by quite some margin. Mainly because he's so ambiguous.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Hello!

I just finished watching this episode.

I can understand why Young left Rush behind. Young thought that Rush was a threat to everyone. Young was also personally upset that he had been framed for Spenser's death. However Young was not being petty. Young was truly thinking about the welfare of the crew at the time.

However I know that Rush will be back. Rush was left on the planet with the alien ship. I know he will figure out how to use it. It might take a little time. I also feel that Destiny will bring him back in an odd sort of way. I kind of think that Rush is connected to Destiny somehow. I am hoping that when Rush comes back he will have started to believe that then ends do not always justify the means. I feel that Rush can be a great leader but he needs to see the whole picture.

I kind of think that maybe Wray would be best to be in charge. I mean she can be neutral and listen to both sides. I think that Wray is motivated to do what is best for everyone.

DVDs Re: 'Justice' (110) General Discussion

It's not the best part 1 of a finale (midseason or season).

Rush is really a monster, but so is Young, kind of.

Tomorrow, our first space battle in this part of the universe.

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

I'm not really impressed by this episode; Stargate has done trial based episodes before and this episode is one of them but here's the twist, it's more serious. Kind of like Law & Order. While it is impressive we got to see Young's honor and willingness when it comes to situations like these (taking himself out of it, not doing anything knowing he's a possible subject) the rest of it is just a dull of a trial with characters attempting to defend Young by stating how good he is, how he couldn't of gotten that gun and how he might of been framed, they do attempt to show something of the characters by defending him; integrity, shiftiness, general empathy but I can't remember anything that ever really grew the characters.

The most amazing thing about this episode is that it proves how predictable this show really is, I knew that the gun would be found in Young's room, I knew Rush would try to flip the situation so that he could utilize the chair and I knew that someone would probably sit on that chair. This show tries to be unpredictable, tries to be dynamic and interesting but when you have a forced rivarly, when you have obvious intentions than doesn't that deter the unpredictability? Heck I even predicted that they would somehow get into a fight at the end. I was somewhat impressed at the fact that it was a suicide and how they try to trick us into thinking it's not Rush but overall, it's oddly generic which is ironic judging by how the creators told us this would be a new and unexpected version of Stargate.

The fight scene in this is terrible. I didn't care about Young v. Rush and I still don't care now; seeing them attempt a Lost-like fight scene just made me want to take the remote and turn it to something else and things like "We're never done" and the overly violent tones didn't help one bit. I get that you need to have conflict in order to have a show and grow the characters but their fight constantly got in the way of the characters, it didn't show Young as a leader or Rush as a person who's connection with Destiny is mysterious, they just showed them as two different people who just happened to clash and having them fight in the 10th episode is overkill to me. This fight would be done way, way better in "The Greater Good" when they actually had a reason to fight and when they actually sounded convincing fighting, giving off compassionate phrases instead of generic sayings.

This doesn't have anything to do with Stargate but it is trial related so...

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

An alright ep.

I liked how Greer tricked the guys with the sweet potato. It looked like Corned Beef.

Can't say I'm sorry to see Spencer gone.

There's no way in hell Eli could see the gun in there. What is he Superman now?

Silly Franklin sitting in the chair. That looked painful.

Our first look at an alien spaceship. Very intriguing.

Although Rush kinda deserved what he got. I would have been seriously bummed if he was out of the show for good.

I've never been a big fan of the trial episodes that sci-fi shows are so very fond of writing for some reason, so a lot of that bored me, but it did surprise me that Rush set him up, because I thought he was better than that. (On no real basis, except maybe I just like Robert Carlyle so much that there's a little bleed-through there.)

And then it surprised me even more that Young left him on the planet, because I thought he was better than that, and I think in his case the show set me up to believe that. So, no moral high ground claimed by either of them, which I thought was an interesting way to end that story, and it made up for the trial portion.

At the end of Justice, we see how far astray Young has gotten and how messed up Rush is. Sorry Zombies, but I did care about both of them in the inevitable fight scene. I have never followed Law and Order nor Lost. Not sure why folks are constantly comparing shows against one another. The reality is there are no new stories ever in our human existence, only new to you. It has all been told before, just add your scifi, western, legal, history, modern suburbia, fantasy, etc. preference to it. The point should be, did this show work for you?

The trail is typical of what people do, try to do the correct, civilized thing, especially in the face of chaos. People desperately clinging to structure as it's slipping away. I can understand both Young and Rush in their respectively distorted views of reality. They are both lost in shades of grey.

Many folks have mentioned how much more they enjoyed this show when watching several episodes at a time. As did I. In light of this show having a long story arc, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeri View Post
    Many folks have mentioned how much more they enjoyed this show when watching several episodes at a time. As did I. In light of this show having a long story arc, it works for me.
    I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable, not that I'm including SGU in the category of mediocre. But anyone who watched it live and didn't like it much ought to give it another chance.

Dori

Quote Originally Posted by min min light View Post
    I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable,
    I'd never have become a Stargate fan if I'd been watching them as they were broadcast. I don't have the patience for the games network PTB play concerning haituses and multipart episodes.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by min min light View Post
    I've noticed that this is true with just about any show at all. The absence of commercials and the ability to go straight to the next episode instead of waiting out a long hiatus are enough to make even a mediocre show enjoyable, not that I'm including SGU in the category of mediocre. But anyone who watched it live and didn't like it much ought to give it another chance.
    This is so true. Any show I like a lot I am watching it over later on DVR and I usually find things I missed because of all the commercial distractions. If I really like a show I get the DVD or download it. It's so much more enjoyable that way.

Doesn't that just highlight the notion that people are having less and less patience these days

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Doesn't that just highlight the notion that people are having less and less patience these days
    I think it highlights the fact that the way the networks run shows is more and more frustrating these days. They're overstuffed with commercials (opening credits are down to about a flash card at this point), they're moved around to different nights and times, they go on hiatus for months, they announce a return date and then change their minds and push it back and then change their minds again, they let a season end in a cliffhanger and then cancel the show ... and just because we've gotten used to it and we put up with it - that doesn't mean it's actually an enjoyable way to watch a show.

Its been like that way for decades. People didn't complain about back in the 70s for example despite the TV model was mostly like that. Some are just avoidable/ Hiatsus for example are not going away because its inpractical to produce a show 52 weeks a show

But back then people had no other options, so whatever patience they had was forced upon them. It wasn't some kind of a virtue that we've lost.

The one where Chloe got to do something!

I thought she did a great job, and I like that Young is a pretty shrewd judge of character and trusted her to say what was needed to defend him. Whilst the 'hearing' itself seemed to be a pointless exercise it was at least an effort to try and hold onto the 'rules' of a civilised society. This is what made SGU interesting, people trying to hold onto these 'rules,' but finding they had to adapt and create new ones as their new existence dictated. This is why I guess things got a bit out of hand for a while and people were not prepared to be told what to do by certain people who, to them no longer really had the authority granted them by their position in a society left far behind.

Even though Young had misjudged situations, he does try to do the right thing. He has a strong sense of what is the right course of action in different situations, and more often than not his approach is the correct one. It's where it differs with what others may think, Rush in particular. The thing that made Young "dangerous" in Rush's view was in fact the opposite. With the chair for instance, Young urged caution and taking time to discover how to use it safely. This clashes straight away with Rush's obsession to get at Destiny's secrets, making Young out to be the obstacle to making things better for everyone once more of Destiny's controls and data banks are accessed.

The sheer relief and satisfied joy Rush showed when his plan to frame Young worked and he stepped down, leaving him free to get at the chair, he was now answerable to no one! Loved how he played that moment, the smug look of loving when a plan comes together!

I always felt for Young, trying to keep things going, keeping people focused on survival by imposing a routine, but questioned at almost every turn. No wonder he finally lost it in frustration, bringing on a moment of sheer rage resulting him leaving Rush to die on that planet. When I first saw this episode and watched as Rush regained consciousness to find himself alone on the desolate planet it was a shock, did Young really do that?! How would he live with himself? It goes against everything Stargate, "Never leave a man behind"! There is really no excuse for what he did, but in this new unknown life they've been thrown into, could it now be that there really isn't any need for excuses after making a decision in that split second to help ensure that things go on without the added complications caused by selfish, secretive behaviour?

OK we knew Rush would return somehow, but it left great questions that had to be asked. Like how they would come across him again, and of course how will Young atone for his regrettable action.

Dori

Its been like that way for decades. People didn't complain about back in the 70s for example despite the TV model was mostly like that. Some are just avoidable/ Hiatsus for example are not going away because its inpractical to produce a show 52 weeks a show
    In the 70s, a one hour show was 48 minutes long. By the end of the 2000s, a one hour show was 40 minutes long. So there are now 8 minutes more of commercials. As for the patience needed to deal with the other--I've always had a problem with it, which is why I basically stopped watching network TV in 1993. I'd stopped watching most series during the mid 1980s.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Your average hour TV show is 43 minutes not 40 minutes. Thats approx. a 5 minute difference which adds to only about an extra minute per commercial or less. Like I said before it just seems like a lack of patience which I find a problem with today's society of we have someting now but refuse to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    In the 70s, a one hour show was 48 minutes long. By the end of the 2000s, a one hour show was 40 minutes long.
    Your average hour TV show is 43 minutes not 40 minutes. Thats approx. a 5 minute difference which adds to only about an extra minute per commercial or less. Like I said before it just seems like a lack of patience which I find a problem with today's society of we have someting now but refuse to wait
    I watch enough stuff on Netflix to know that the average 30 minute show is actually 21 minutes and the average 60 minute show is 41 minutes.

As for the lack of patience - saying that people are less patient these days because they'd rather watch a show on DVD is like saying people are less patient because they'd rather buy a sweater than raise a sheep, shear it, and knit a sweater out of the wool. We were never patient in the first place, we just had no other options.

Watching a show from first season to last without commercials or a long hiatus or cliffhangers is wonderful. You get the full experience the writers intended you to have, without some car salesman breaking the mood by shrieking at you about a stupid "event." (It's always an "event" with these people. Why is that?) You don't miss stuff because the DVR cut off, or because you don't have a DVR and you mistimed the commercial break or someone wouldn't stop talking.

If you deprive yourself of that experience because you think it's a weakness somehow, please rethink it, because you're missing out on something good.