Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universe Gate-Network, # of Gates, Gate hop home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
    I was under the impression that even at 100% power, this was insufficient for Destiny's gate to dial Earth. (Possibly from one of Mallozzi's blogs--not sure though.)
    Yes: now the Destiny is too far away to reach Earth, even at 100% capacity...but what about while it was in Pegasus? Or in other places? Remember, the Destiny has been traveling for far longer than the Ancients intended.

I think the underlying question, which I believe MacGyverInSpace was alluding to, is: Is the prototype Stargate's range limitation a characteristic of the gate itself or its power source?
    Well, TPTB said that "It's not a new Stargate. It is, in fact, a very old Stargate. It's the prototype. It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy Stargates. For example, if the Destiny is traveling through a galaxy it can't go anywhere in that galaxy -- it can only go within a limited range."

This would imply that the range limit is due to the 'Gate itself, rather than the power supply.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      Yes: now the Destiny is too far away to reach Earth, even at 100% capacity...but what about while it was in Pegasus? Or in other places? Remember, the Destiny has been traveling for far longer than the Ancients intended.
      Well, TPTB said that "It's not a new Stargate. It is, in fact, a very old Stargate. It's the prototype. It has a limited range, a far more limited range than the Milky Way or Pegasus Galaxy Stargates. For example, if the Destiny is traveling through a galaxy it can't go anywhere in that galaxy -- it can only go within a limited range."

This would imply that the range limit is due to the 'Gate itself, rather than the power supply.
      If it's the gate itself, then that should answer your first question. IOW it wouldn't have been able to dial Earth even while it was in Pegasus or even while it was still in the Milky Way. And that makes me wonder why they'd bother trying to dial Earth now when they're billions of light years away.

In "Earth" however, the earth scientists seem to think its a power issue, hence they tried to tap the power of a sun to dial Earth. But if the gate itself is limited in range, why are they trying that?

Confusion, yes? No?

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

If it's the gate itself, then that should answer your first question. IOW it wouldn't have been able to dial Earth even while it was in Pegasus or even while it was still in the Milky Way. And that makes me wonder why they'd bother trying to dial Earth now when they're billions of light years away.

In "Earth" however, the earth scientists seem to think its a power issue, hence they tried to tap the power of a sun to dial Earth. But if the gate itself is limited in range, why are they trying that?

Confusion, yes? No?

I'm getting the impression that, somehow, the Destiny's Stargate is capable of dialing Earth...and pretty much nothing else. The reason I say this is because in "Air," Earth's address showed up in the ship's dialing computer, something that (for all other addresses) occurs only when the Stargate address in question is within range.

Thus it seems that, somehow, the Destiny's Stargate is capable of recalibrating itself to dial Earth...and no other address more than roughly a few hundred light-years away. I don't know. It confuses me too.

As I noted earlier, the range limit could be due to accuracy/precision issues, so maybe the Destiny's Stargate is somehow hardwired to be able to dial Earth from any distance. That, of course, probably raises more questions than it answers.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I think the reason they said the gates are "limited range" was because if they were as powerful as standard stargates people would say. "Why dont they send an expedition and a ZPM to hop--scotch through the galaxies and catch up with the destiny?"

Think about it, Earth has a 3 ZPMs on Atlantis, 1 on the Odyssey and i assume probably 1 still with the ancient chair, even though the chair is gone, i sincerly doubt the writers would ever let something that "rare" to Earth be destroyed for the sake of an epic atlantis battle over Earht.

Comment

There is, quite frankly no reason to think that the all the Stargates have infinite range: remember that the Destiny's Stargate is a prototype.
            Yeah, I just think with the Stargates are fundamentally infinite in the same way that a hose has infinite range of water - just depends on pressure and that the hose can handle it. Time and time again the shows have shown that the more power in a gate the farther it goes, and that it has a limit, a pressure at which it will bust open. Additionally, despite what anyone said, I think in the true sense of the word, these gates are not prototypes, just earlier models. In a blog context, no ones going to be a grammar Nazi, or a science kommie. Most people with the show are Artists, not scientists nerding it up over minutia like me right now... Believe it or not, Stargate is an Art. A fine art in my humble opinion.9 *raises nose to air*
            The prototype would be the first two models they tested with.
            Originally posted by Quadhelix
            What thought? All I've seen is, "I want it to be this way therefore, it must be this way.
            ] *Therefore I'd sort of hope it was this way. No need to colour me a megalomaniac, If I'm using the term properly. I think its important you all know I'm not trying to argue about what is "right" based on comments of the talent behind the show but more so what they could make to be right or I could take in my own mind to make my own little continuity. As for thought, well, regardless of the quality of my conclusions, it takes thought to force a fart....

Originally posted by Quadhelix
            As for why have a Stargate? In "Air," the Destiny was in range of five planets with Stargates. That's five planets that it could explore simultaneously, rather than one-at-a-time.
            Good Point.
            Well, my rationalization instinct has been satisfied: Next question for me: Will there be an Olympics Episode? Vancouver, city of many worlds. Anyone here go to Tolan U?
            Last edited by MacGyverInSpace; 10 November 2009, 04:12 PM.
            The initial shock and disappointment in the Atlantis cancellation has faded, but its still looking like more and more of a bad idea.

Comment

Until they access the gate map aboard the Destiny or elsewhere, the random dialing needed to accidentally go in the right direction would take lifetimes. Considering the symbols are not even constellations, they would not be able to stumble upon an earth (or Atlantis planet), look in the sky and make out what the points in space the symbols represent.
              Why do I like Stargate? Best premise for low budget sci fi ever. It took me at least 5 seasons to start liking Jack O'Neill. The Re'tu are my favorite SG alien perhaps followed by the Reole.

Comment

Originally posted by rien View Post
                i thought that the seeder ships were planting the stargates and that the destiny was following behind to not only collect any data left by the seeder ships but also to fully activate the gates and connect them to the stargate network.

at least that is what i remember reading although i could be mistaken.
                as for the gate hopping idea if that was a viable option then why did the ancients need atlantis to travel alla way to pegasus why not just gatehop? possibly they were too arrogant to consider it
                Think about it. Why would the ancients travel to a new galaxy to which they had no connections, through the gate? Even with several puddle jumpers, they would have decades of manual labor to even be able to have a society. And, if the idea was to seed the galaxy with life, as stated by morgan la fey, That kind of thing is not really an option, and the preperation for such a journey would make anyone wish for a ship or some kind of shelter with self-sustaining properties. Also, the destiny style gates have a limited outgoing range, and are structurally weaker, which suggests, to me at least, that they may not be able to handle an incoming gate with that much power behind it.

Comment

The gates are more primitive and have a limited range. They can't even dial across a galaxy, let alone the massive void between them.

Comment

Working...
                  X