Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universe Gate-Network, # of Gates, Gate hop home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universe Gate-Network, # of Gates, Gate hop home?

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed - if it has been go ahead and nip this thread in the bud but P.M. if you can.

But I have a few questions regarding the network of stargates in the show?
    How many gates does the destiny project place in a galaxy?
    Do you think the Destiny has been in multiple galaxies already this season without it being mentioned?
    Were those five addresses in the first ep. the total for that galaxy are simply all that destiny could reach on her current power plan?
    Is it possible that the expedition or someone with a mk. agillion naquadah generator back home to simply walk to destiny, one gate at a time? If there is an obstacle to this would it be the lack of gates in the system or the fact that the Destiny 'expedition' has no portable power for intergalactic wormholes?
    The initial shock and disappointment in the Atlantis cancellation has faded, but its still looking like more and more of a bad idea.

I think calling it a "network" is overstating things by quite a bit. We're talking about exploration gates, not fully developed networks. I mean, to draw a crude parallel, it's like comparing half a dozen radios on the same frequency to the Bell Telephone network.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyverInSpace View Post
      I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed - if it has been go ahead and nip this thread in the bud but P.M. if you can.

But I have a few questions regarding the network of stargates in the show?
      Do you think the Destiny has been in multiple galaxies already this season without it being mentioned?
      Were those five addresses in the first ep. the total for that galaxy are simply all that destiny could reach on her current power plan?
      Is it possible that the expedition or someone with a mk. agillion naquadah generator back home to simply walk to destiny, one gate at a time? If there is an obstacle to this would it be the lack of gates in the system or the fact that the Destiny 'expedition' has no portable power for intergalactic wormholes?
      This assumes that you could determine the next gate n the sequence from the current gate. To retrace Destiny's route you would need to know the course of the seeder ships and the address of at least one of the gates left by said ships. Destiny probably has them all, but it could take some time to find them. Also you would need a convenient power source to make the inter-galactic jumps
      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

the reason i think it hasn't been discussed is because of the lack of a portable power source, and all the unknowns like there might be big gaps between gates, what are the gate address, are any of the planets along the way toxic, etc, etc

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I think calling it a "network" is overstating things by quite a bit. We're talking about exploration gates, not fully developed networks. I mean, to draw a crude parallel, it's like comparing half a dozen radios on the same frequency to the Bell Telephone network.
          Really? I was under the impression that the galaxies the seeder ships have visited would be as populated with Stargates as the Milky Way or Pegasus is.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            Really? I was under the impression that the galaxies the seeder ships have visited would be as populated with Stargates as the Milky Way or Pegasus is.
            TPTB have been saying since before the show started that the Destiny gates are considerably shorter-range prototypes than we've seen till now. This even seems to be validated by what we've seen so far.

The seeders and Destiny were launched from our galaxy and went through Pegasus, and yet both our galaxy and Pegasus have different style gates from what we've seen in SGU on a couple of planets so far. We've seen instead that the unmanned seeders are planting the same, primitive type of gate we see on the show rather than the more advanced orange and blue models. It's a pretty reasonable logical deduction that the exploration gates in our galaxy and Pegasus were replaced after the fact, with fully functioning networks.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

i thought that the seeder ships were planting the stargates and that the destiny was following behind to not only collect any data left by the seeder ships but also to fully activate the gates and connect them to the stargate network.

at least that is what i remember reading although i could be mistaken.

as for the gate hopping idea if that was a viable option then why did the ancients need atlantis to travel alla way to pegasus why not just gatehop? possibly they were too arrogant to consider it
              Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

A mentioned before, probably of the same order as in Milky Way and Pegasus.

TPTB revealed that the Stargate on the Destiny has limited range, which is why different worlds will be available to it "as it moves about the galaxy." Since it takes roughly a few days for it to travel between stops, and since the separation between galaxies is much larger

As others have mentioned, TPTB have stated that the Destiny's Stargate has limited range.

Well, firstly, the seeded 'Gates have a maximum range that is much shorter than the traditional Stargates'. This means that "leap-frogging" would be necessary simply to travel within a galaxy. We have no idea whether the seeded Stargates (or the Destiny's) even have the ability to dial an eight-chevron address.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Did tptb elaborate on the limited range, i.e. more limited than regular gates?
                  I would say that they must have a weaker power source, or else the limit seems awful contrived. They may want to change that if it is not already cannozied[sic] by the end of s1.

In theory, the whole universal set could be used to make a chain through a software correlative update process, even with robots to go about the long processes of deploying power generators to extend gates' range.

They should drop a line about the 2 bright minds of 2004-2008 attempts to bring everyone back.

Is intergalactic still only possible via ZPM, blackhole or Icarus or did they Asgard give 'em something.

P.S. not having a keyboard sucks -but on-screen is the best thing about windows....
                  The initial shock and disappointment in the Atlantis cancellation has faded, but its still looking like more and more of a bad idea.

Comment

This wouldn't work. I assume you are talking about an intergalactic gate bridge like in SGA. The problem is the massive void between galaxies. The SGA gate bridge needed to drop gates in the void to create a chain. Obviously this isn't possible in SGU.

They would need to jump from galaxy to galaxy but that requires too much power. So making a chain(gate bridge) wouldn't work in this case.

Comment

Did tptb elaborate on the limited range, i.e. more limited than regular gates?
                      I would say that they must have a weaker power source, or else the limit seems awful contrived.
                      Actually, the range is inherently more limited than that of the SG-1 and Atlantis Stargates. As a clear demonstration of this, consider the episode "Water." Having just "refueled," the Destiny's energy reserves were up to 40% of their design capacity. There was a point in the Destiny's history when 100% should have been enough to dial back to Earth. Nevertheless, in "Water," only a single Stargate was in range.

As for the range limit being contrived, these are older Stargates: they were designed and built before the other Stargates we have seen, so there would be issues like a range limit, etc.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by StarFighter View Post

They would need to jump from galaxy to galaxy but that requires too much power. So making a chain(gate bridge) wouldn't work in this case.
                        Yeah, I accounted for that, each galaxy hop gate would need a ZPM or other mega power plant, - o.k, I just listened to the beeps-per-1-galaxy in the map-o'-universe scene and they'd need about 30 or more ZPMs / equivalent, it would cost much and take years - that plan will be taken into consideration pending ZPM manufacturing ability or season 10.

Originally posted by QUADHELIX
                        As for the range limit being contrived, these are older Stargates: they were designed and built before the other Stargates we have seen, so there would be issues like a range limit, etc.
                        Not so simply, I hope, perhaps all gate's range is infinite, but there is a power per distance difference - and in water, more gates were in achievable range w/ 40% power but destiny would refuse 100% allocation, as it needs shields and drives at least to the nearest star.

Hopefully the show will put this much thought into it - or steal ours.

Some of this thinking is driven by the idea if the gate poulation is so low, and distance so short, why bother with gates at all - meaning the gates are in a way forced into the show - maybe destiny is slower than she looks, slower than SGA/1 ships...
                        Last edited by MacGyverInSpace; 09 November 2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Not so simply, I hope, perhaps all gate's range is infinite, but there is a power per distance difference - and in water, more gates were in achievable range w/ 40% power but destiny would refuse 100% allocation, as it needs shields and drives at least to the nearest star.
                          There is, quite frankly no reason to think that the all the Stargates have infinite range: remember that the Destiny's Stargate is a prototype.

Also, even if they could make the wormhole as long as they liked, there is still the issue of aiming the wormhole. If the Destiny's Stargate has an aiming flaw of as much as 1 degree, then a wormhole to a planet 1,000 light-years away (a tiny fraction of the size of the Milky Way), the wormhole would be 17 light-years off target.

Hopefully the show will put this much thought into it - or steal ours.
                          What thought? All I've seen is, "I want it to be this way therefore, it must be this way.

Some of this thinking is driven by the idea if the gate poulation is so low, and distance so short, why bother with gates at all - meaning the gates are in a way forced into the show - maybe destiny is slower than she looks, slower than SGA/1 ships...
                          Well, on the Destiny's speed, we already know that it takes it roughly a week or two to get from one "'Gate zone" to another (comments made in "Water"). Assuming that it has to travel about 1,000 light-years to get from one 'Gate zone to another, the Destiny's top speed would be about 50,000c times the speed of light. This is, in principle, a fair bit faster than a Goa'uld mothership, bu nowhere near as fast as a BC-304 or an Asgard ship.

As for why have a Stargate? In "Air," the Destiny was in range of five planets with Stargates. That's five planets that it could explore simultaneously, rather than one-at-a-time.

Comment

a mark III generator could power the way back home. well, if a Mark III is a 100m x100m x 100 m full scale naquahdah generator.

----

nah, make that 1 cubic kilometer. that might JUST do it. maybe it needs to be even bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              There was a point in the Destiny's history when 100% should have been enough to dial back to Earth. Nevertheless, in "Water," only a single Stargate was in range.
                              I was under the impression that even at 100% power, this was insufficient for Destiny's gate to dial Earth. (Possibly from one of Mallozzi's blogs--not sure though.)

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              I think the underlying question, which I believe MacGyverInSpace was alluding to, is: Is the prototype Stargate's range limitation a characteristic of the gate itself or its power source?

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Working...
                              X