Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Do you think any of the SGU girls will ever be the next Samantha Carter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Do you think any of the SGU girls will ever be the next Samantha Carter?

Yes?

Maybe?

NEVER! There's only 1 Samantha Carter!

I've read a lot of comments on how little the SGU women contribute to the show, and I'm wondering if anyone here thinks they'll ever at least measure up to Sam Carter's HIGH level? Or does anyone here think anyone of these girls have the potential to be the next Sam Carter?

I say NEVER, THERE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE ONE SAMANTHA CARTER!
    Yes
    6.17%
    No
    81.48%
    Maybe
    12.35%
    Last edited by Rocky89; 06 November 2009, 09:18 PM.

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
    Yes

Maybe

I've read a lot of comments on how little the SGU women contribute to the show, and I'm wondering if anyone here thinks they'll ever measure up to Sam Carter HIGH level? Or does anyone here think anyone of these girls have the potentail to be the next Sam Carter?

It's a hard question to answer, as none of these women are currently that similar to Carter, simply because Carter performed a very interesting dual-role with regards to being military and scientists.

In terms of "character strength" (which is not much of a definable category, ), I think a lot of the women in SGU have some really great potential to be very capable, smart, strong characters.

So...I guess I'd choose "maybe"?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

i don't want any of the sgu characters to be the sam i want them to be themselves
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Carter was Carter. She was her own unique. Just like SGU will have another Jack, Daniel, Weir, etc. They had thier uniqueness. Just like the SGU characters are unique
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

No way. With the number of characters, it would be surprising if any of them has as much to do than Sam. Even Rush right now is not at her level of implication. And he's one of the main character.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

No one will ever be the next Samantha Carter, it is impossible.

Comment

Probably not. Although I like TJ quite a bit so far.

Comment

In terms of awesomeness, TJ has potential, but otherwise I don't think anyone of them will live up to being an icon in the franchise like Sam is.

Comment

Who wants a Sam Carter reboot anyway?

I want to gals on SGU to shine as individuals.
                  Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    No way. With the number of characters, it would be surprising if any of them has as much to do than Sam. Even Rush right now is not at her level of implication. And he's one of the main character.
                    Exactly. None of the characters so far appear to have an important role. Like you said even Rush, who is a main character and main scientist, hasn't become a main player. Any of these characters could be killed off at this point and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Comment

I hope not, because I hate Carter
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Carter is her own character, and so are these gals. I'm not really hoping Chloe turns into an astrophysicist with good shooty-fighty skills and a speech about reproductive organs being on the inside... In short, I'd rather not have any more Mary Sues...
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                          Yes?

Maybe?

I've read a lot of comments on how little the SGU women contribute to the show, and I'm wondering if anyone here thinks they'll ever at least measure up to Sam Carter's HIGH level? Or does anyone here think anyone of these girls have the potential to be the next Sam Carter?

There is only 1 Sam and after last night I finally faced it, there is only 1 SG1,

I for one am getting off the train, I watched last night because RDA was on, and they've changed his character, he's not the Jack I used to know, and no not cause of any weight gain, I still find him HOTT, but because he's not acting/behaving like O'Neill did.

SGU you've lost a viewer, I'll only watch if Sam or Jackson or O'Neill is on (hoping that O'Neill will act as before) but otherwise there really is no purpose in me watching any longer, SGU has nothing to do with SciFi or Stargate IMO
                          General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

The problem with Sam is that she was written as being waaaay too perfect at everything. As MattSilver said above, she came very close to being a Mary Sue at times. She was a world-class astrophysicist, an excellent shot with almost any gun, was skilled in flying aircraft, a nigh-omnipotent materials engineer, and she could solve almost any problem in under 48 minutes.

While she was enjoyable to watch, I'm much prefering SGUs less capable, more nuanced and realistic characters to one with god-mode permanantly engaged.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Well I have always seen Sam Carter as being very human and far from perfect, but I actually like the character and see her as being very realistic and complex. Did you know that even the person who came up with the original ‘Mary Sue’ Litmus test doesn’t think that Carter was a ‘Sue’? Just a little piece of trivia for you.

IMO, the women on SGU are much more one-dimensional than Carter ever was. She was more complex and interesting than the SGU women even back when she an over-the-top, gung-ho feminist in the first few eps of SG1. She was the only regular female character on the show, so that might explain why she got so much character development from the start in comparison to the SGU women. Then again, Janet was more complex and interesting than the SGU women in my opinion and she wasn’t even in every episode and she was never a main character.

The bigger problem for me is how useless the SGU women have been to the main plot (survival). None of them solve any problems, none go on missions to find water or other necessary items. They are just there. At the same time, they seem to get a lot more screen time in the sub-plots that revolve around who is sleeping with whom, the importance of cleanliness (aka showering when the power is out), and how boys will be boys (aka how being a peeping Tom is really, really funny).

So I don’t think any of them will ever come close to measuring up to the bar set by the writers with Sam Carter (or Janet Fraiser for that matter). However, I do think the characters have the potential to overcome their uselessness and actually become interesting and capable members of the crew. It's all up to the writers, so I guess we’ll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X