• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creation Con - Special Apr 2005 Vancouver Convention

From an e-mail from Creation Entertainment:

MGM's First Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis Celebration For The Fans

A Message from MGM Studios
    Dear Stargate Fans:

To celebrate the renewal of our series by The Sci-Fi Channel, MGM Studios and the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis production teams have joined forces to produce a huge celebration for fans.

To best utilize the capabilities of the production and to allow attendees unprecedented access to our sets, stars and behind the scenes talent we have selected Vancouver, BC, Canada as the site city for this gathering.

MGM's first "STARGATE SG-1/STARGATE ATLANTIS CELEBRATION FOR THE FANS" will be held April 15-17, 2005 at The Hilton Vancouver Metrotown.

Please know that this celebration will have the full and active support of the studio and the production teams, guaranteeing attendees a uniquely entertaining weekend, unlike any other fan convention that has been held before.

Thank you for your continued support of our series!

FURTHER INFORMATION on MGM'S first "STARGATE SG-1/STARGATE ATLANTIS CELEBRATION FOR THE FANS:

Special weekend packages that offer complimentary visits to the sets of both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, along with included photo opportunities on the "SG-1 Gate Set" are now available! Special in-person guest stars CHRISTOPHER JUDGE, MICHAEL SHANKS, DON DAVIS, TERYL ROTHERY, PETER WILLIAMS and TONY AMENDOLA are also already contracted with many more to come!

This weekend event is like no other:
    make your plans to make history by visiting us online!

Your friends at Creation Entertainment

http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgvan.htm

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

This is already being discussed over in the Gatecon O5 thread in the fandom forum. But a few comments:

Firstly, contrary to the advertising, this con will be offering NOTHING that has not been done before. It is in fact a poor copy of Gatecon, which has been running in Vancouver for several years.

Gatecon has in the past had the support of MGM and the folks at Bridge Studios. They've allowed the fans to meet stars and backstage folks of the show (in fact backstage folks have appeared all over the world). They've also run set visits.

What's more the set visits at Gatecon allowed photos to be taken. They allowed a full hour per set, and as a result people had time to play. Thanks to Gatecon I have photos of myself on the sickbay bed, in General Hammonds chair holding the red phone, sitting at the breifing room table, at the panels in the control room and at the Gate. Attendees at Creation will, by the sound of it, be rushed from point to point without time to play. And the only photo opportunity will be one designed to make them more money (and could also be rushed too. I wouldn't want my experience of touching the gate to have been spoiled by being pushed along so the next person could go up for a photo. Yes, there were queus to go up to the Gate when I went, but it was informal and fun, and you could go as many times as you liked and do what you wanted up there!)

I haven't been to Creation, but I've also heard that the auto sessions are a cattle market, with no chance to chat and no Personalisations. 'Unpresidented access'? Nope. I'm used to getting to chat to the actors. At least getting a hello in the auto session. I've had a few real long conversations at Gatecon.

Finally, this means a massive loss of income for CHARITIES. Gatecon and the associated Sekh's party have raised over $200,000 dollars US. A large portion of this came from the set visits. Thanks to this they can no longer run a Stargate based con. They are still going ahead and fundraising for charities. Maybe fan pressure could still bring the Gatecon set visits back? But in the meanwhile, if you book for this, consider that you are giving a vote for money for second-best visits to go to business, rather than wonderful, unrushed visits with money going to charity.

I won't blame anyone who'd never been on the Stargate set for being tempted. I would be. But it's something to think about.
    My 100 Mile Challenge!

Comment

Working...
    X