Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think Rush knew?

While I am sure he had some idea churning in his head about how the ship got more power - even ZPMs would have been depleted by now, and he knows that ship predates that technology by many thousands of years if not longer - I am not sure if he was 100% sure. Seriously, I think we are ignoring that Rush is a much deeper character than he so far has presented. He is extremely intelligent, emotionally handicapped, socially unstable in a manner that would make Rodney look absolutely normal, but yet, I feel there is something more to him. While he has been "right" quite often, I think they are setting him up to be the anti-Carter/anti-Rodney. No matter what, when one of those two suggested something in SG1/SGA we went with it. Here, we aren't so easy to trust Rush, and someday that may really bite us in the ass. I think that is the way TPTB want it.

So IMHO, I think that, yeah he had an inkling that something would happen to save their lives, but on the other hand, I don't think he was willing to bet every single one of their lives on one of his wild and crazy ideas (again).

Of course, I could be wrong and he could just be a sadist who wanted to see the others put through the proverbial wringer and possibly hoping that some of the crazier nut jobs (like the IOA woman) would be "lost", but that would mean his character is less deep than I know him to be.

He seemed genuinely surprised by the fact that they werent vaporized

It was in the scene where he looked at his watch, realized they shouldve been dead by now, went to the observation deck, saw how close they were to the sun, realized the destiny was doing this on purpose and that they would live, then stared laughing in joy
    Then Eli asked him why he was happy and he explained it

So i dont think he knew before hand

Comment

Yeah, I think he knew. the question is, why did he put them through that?

I'd bet he was hoping that Young would go as well, leaving the command of the Destiny to himself. As he stated, the Destiny was his destiny. It's the same reason why he dialed the ship in the first place.

I don't think he knew when the power was failing, but I think that after they decided to use the shuttle, he must have guessed that the ship was going to draw energy, which is why he went to his room to just read a book rather than doing something else. His excitement didn't seem very authentic to me. It seemed more like he was excited that he was right, rather than incorrect. It did seem like he was expecting it from the moment he went out to look at the star (he didn't really seem surprised).
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Honestly,

I don't really think he knew. He suggested that Young fix the lottery to send the people that he thought would be best able to help the group's long term survival. Which means that would remove the people who could help his 'surviving' group's long term survival if he did know they were going to survive.

I believe he had an idea they might survive, but he didn't know for sure. I think he was hoping the ship would survive the whole time but wasn't planning on it. I could be wrong, but its just my opinion.

Maybe we'll see in later episodes if he knew or not, or maybe not. That's one of the great things about the show is its giving us alot of information about the ship and the ancients, but isn't "Clear cutting" it with the characters and is letting us draw our own conclusions. I like that.

- CB
        Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
        Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Honestly, if he said that it just looked like they were going to fly into the star, but were really just going to skim it to refuel, would any of the others have believed him?

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post

I'd bet he was hoping that Young would go as well, leaving the command of the Destiny to himself. As he stated, the Destiny was his destiny. It's the same reason why he dialed the ship in the first place.
            That's an interesting theory, and I kinda agree. At the time I thought he looked genuinely shocked and happy to be alive, but looking back it could easily be that he was feeling the same way about being right, as well as happy to be alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post

I don't think he knew when the power was failing, but I think that after they decided to use the shuttle, he must have guessed that the ship was going to draw energy, which is why he went to his room to just read a book rather than doing something else. His excitement didn't seem very authentic to me. It seemed more like he was excited that he was right, rather than incorrect. It did seem like he was expecting it from the moment he went out to look at the star (he didn't really seem surprised).
              There are two options here.

1. He wanted them off the ship so that he could do what he wanted
              2. He let them go just in case, sparring everyone hope crush.

Comment

It is obvious that he didn't know, he wasn't faking the reaction to seeing that they were still alive, because when he entered the room, Eli and Chloe were behind him, he didn't see them, so why fake the excitement and laughing.

I think he was hoping that something would save them, but he was planning for the worst. Otherwise he would never have let them take those supplies and the ships only working shuttle. They were within a hairsbreadth of losing them when that shuttle couldn't match velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                  Honestly,

I don't really think he knew. He suggested that Young fix the lottery to send the people that he thought would be best able to help the group's long term survival. Which means that would remove the people who could help his 'surviving' group's long term survival if he did know they were going to survive.
                  Actually, he was encouraging Young to send Greer, who fought with Rush in the desert.

If he did know ahead of time that they would survive, then this was one opportunity to get rid of Greer.
                  There is no spoon...

Comment

If he really knew, then I would admit I was fooled. He seemed genuinely shocked and pleased. I think the final scene reflect his extreme pessimism which makes him seem like a dick. Honestly, he is right. They are back where they started since they still have no control over the ship.

Comment

Oh yes, I truly do believe he knew. Especially when Eli showed them the Destiny with the Kino.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post
                        Honestly, if he said that it just looked like they were going to fly into the star, but were really just going to skim it to refuel, would any of the others have believed him?
                        Maybe Eli? Yeah, there'd have been a major tiff over that decision and we'd have the whole "why should we trust you, you got us stranded here in the first place" argument all over again. Which is why I said I think TPTB are setting him up to be an anti-Carter/anti-Rodney. No matter what, someone will always question his decisions and motives.

Comment

The only genuine emotion I got from Rush was when Eli showed him Destiny.

This isn't the first time Rush has been stingy on the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Oh yes, I truly do believe he knew. Especially when Eli showed them the Destiny with the Kino.
                            The ship's shape designed to sun surf?

Comment

Na I dont think so either, He looked genuinly surprised imo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X