Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs on SGU - Good or Bad?

At the end of "Air, Part 3," Joel Goldsmith's soundtrack switched to a contemporary song, one which certainly meshed well with the theme of needing air to survive. I have mixed feelings on this departure from the Stargate norm, but what do you think; should the show start using modern songs that would be played on the radio?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

my only issue with some of the music in air pt 3 is that it reminded me of firefly. i want the sounds and themes we heard in air 1 & 2
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I have no problem with it if the music fits the scene. I liked the music while they were scrambling for the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        my only issue with some of the music in air pt 3 is that it reminded me of firefly. i want the sounds and themes we heard in air 1 & 2
        I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I actually liked it and thought it was very appropraite...

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            I was loving the new theme Joel had going, and while I didn't dislike the song and thought it fit in nicely, the age-old Stargate fan in me wants to be angry with the producers for changing the music to something every teen show does today; close with a contemporary song that fits the mood.
            I see your POV however I disagree. I too felt it fit the scene and thought it was done well and like the "New Stargate" as much if not more than the old. Oh BTW is it me or is the forum going wonky again.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              I see your POV however I disagree. I too felt it fit the scene and thought it was done well and like the "New Stargate" as much if not more than the old. Oh BTW is it me or is the forum going wonky again.
              Yes, yes it is xD

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                Yes, yes it is xD
                Somebody needs to fire the server maintenance guy.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I really disliked that. It actually took me out of the action, which, to be fair, wasn't hard, I didn't feel very involved, while I notived how bad that was. Bad and loud. It was obtrusive and very, very unsubtle.

Comment

It was okay but I really liked the music when Scott and Greer were racing to the gate
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

It was okay but I really liked the music when Scott and Greer were racing to the gate
                      I tend not to notice music if it's really right, if it fits in perfectly. It enhances the action and mood without making you notice it, which is what all the music did right up until that sond at the end. It was about as subtle as a brick.

Comment

I have rather mixed feelings as well about the modern song at the end of "Air" part 3...I absollutely LOVE Joel Goldsmith's soundtracks for SG-1 (especially seasons 9 &10) and SGA and like what he has done so far with SGU BUT....I'm not so sure about them choosing to play a song instead of Goldsmith's music...I for one...would choose Goldsmith every time!

Comment

For me honestly I loved it, in every way i loved it. I have loved my stargate since the original movie and to be honest i really like this reinvented perspective that SGU is becoming.

The song was awesome, and i thought beautifully integrated. The song begins playing and and you get taken through the ship as you see that the co2 scrubbers are working with the limestone they brought back. The air starts moving and and you get to see the relief on everyone's face as they feel the fresh air blowing in.

I think the part that made the song click into place for me was when you see Col. Young and the sigh of relief on his face, that look of "we might just get out of this after all". The part of the song that was playing then at that very moment the thought going through my mind was "this is beautiful, its so human and perfect in every way".

I love this new stargate, and while I am willing to say i would give a kidney for my SGA back and a lung and part of my liver for SG-1, im not so sure i would be willing to give SGU up for either, at least not yet. It has sparked my feeling and interest for the characters enough at this point that for now I'm hooked.

And for those of you that say it wasn't an interesting episode i think you have gotten to used to the established show and characters that were SG-1 and SGA.

SGA had a great 1st season opener sure, but they also had a bad guy pretty much right off the bat. That helps a lot.

But think about the first few episodes of SG-1, i mean come on. Episode 3 for SG-1 i believe was Emancipation, ok so it had the bad guy from the first Mortal Kombat movie for those of us that were young enough at the time to enjoy that. but whatever lol. taking it in now the whole episode was pretty much about how Carter was butt hurt over the fact that in other cultures women aren't treated like they are in the good old USA. Wow that's deep lawl...

"I am Super Carter and I hate womanizers, I will use my lvl 3 advanced hand to hand combat skillz to kick the sh** out of Shang Tsung.."

just give it time im sure it will pick up more to your liking.

now i just wonder if anyone will read this essay i have just written.

GateWorld feel free to hire me......
                          Last edited by archangel2187; 09 October 2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

When I first heard the song, it definitely stood out as something that should not have been there, keeping with what we've usually had with Stargate episodes. However I do think the song's theme and lyrics fit in really well with the episode. I'd be happy with limiting each episode to just one song like this as opposed to every other show that throws in music from some band every 5 minutes or if something emotional happens.

sigpic

Comment

now i just wonder if anyone will read this essay i have just written.
                              I read it! I enjoy your enthusiasm, and I wish, I wish, I wish, I felt the same way. That's exactly how I want to feel, but... Well, if you read mine, you know how I feel. (Oops, never mind-that was in the discussion thread) I just...don't like them much. Not writing it off, though, I'm going to watch the whole year, and hope that it starts to grab me. I really want to like it. I'm afraid it just might not be my kind of show, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X