This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple spin offs

Is anyone else hoping that they follow a star trek idea of spin offs.

Star Trek had: TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT (is that right)

Stargate has: SG1, SGA and SGU

What other series could there be? Please choose things that could ACTUALLY happen, a series about Lorne and his high school friends being trapped on another planet being chased by Unas and wraith who have chosen to work together to rule the galaxy.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
    Is anyone else hoping that they follow a star trek idea of spin offs.

Star Trek had: TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY, DS9 and ENT (is that right)

Stargate has: SG1, SGA and SGU

What other series could there be? Please choose things that could ACTUALLY happen, a series about Lorne and his high school friends being trapped on another planet being chased by Unas and wraith who have chosen to work together to rule the galaxy.
    I do hope the franchise has many spin-off's/series & further movies, similar to STARTREK (Without the horrible mix up that was the last series; ENTEPRISE ); & continues for many, many years to come.

My ideas for legitimate possible further series thusfar:

STARGATE: ORIGIN - about exploring the Alterran Galaxy through the Supergate & making contact with Tomin & the Orii followers after the events of AoT.

STARGATE : IDA - exploring the remnants of the Ida Galaxy & Asgard civilization.

Other than following up on SG:U & exploring one or more of the galaxies mentioned in SG:U as a series, & the ones I mentioned above, I don't know of any other series they could do in the present day now Universe has started; buy then again, I don't make the series for the franchise.

Comment

Star Trek was faced with this dilemma and they came up with Enterprise a prequel which was more character driven and had the same drama as Deep Space Nine I thought it was more deserving of 7 seasons than Voyager and even though the ratings went way up for season 4 and had the support of NASA and Stephen Hawking it fell victim to reality tv because the network wanted to get with the times. so I would say a series like Caprica in the Alteran Galaxy on the planet Celestis how they were divided into the Ori and Ancients, early conflicts, resistance, war, religion, how they met the other races, etc. that "well" could go along time before drying. I think the whole point of Universe is to get away from it all get back to exploring which is nice so if they were going to do another series it would probably be something like that.

- Christine
      Last edited by lkg1980; 05 October 2009, 01:20 AM.

Comment

i kind of like enterprise

Comment

Enterprise was great. a lot of people didn't like Archer. some didn't like him because he was already a celebrity and some didn't like him because of quantum leap but his character was one of the richest in the Star Trek franchise. his past distrust for the vulcans, his father didn't get to see his engine or his son become captain and you see him transform from a explorer, military commander to a diplomat. I think the only captain that has come close to that is Sisko. what kills me about Voyager is Janeway was always preaching to Seven about being human but the whole show was so disconnected the crew was practically skipping down the decks about their situation it's like they took the TNG formula in respect and went way over the top.

- Christine

Comment

I liked ST:E but I must admit my fav was ST:V. I like the idea of going back to Origin for a spin-off. There are endless possibilities for the future (or the past depending where it takes place). Perhaps they could go back and explore the origins of the Tokra. Granted nobody really liked the Tokra in SG1 however a character driven show about the beginnings may be a draw for fans. As for SG:U I am still holding out. It reminds me of a cross between SG and Battlestar thus far. And the LDP casting was total BS.

Comment

Theres many ideas one can have:

Stargate Federation: This series would present an evolution of the SG1 concept. It would bring back Stargate to its roots. It would return the earth at the center of thing and bring back Stargate as a earth centric show. It would be the story of a multi-nations earth central base with a Stargate system (homeland). At this time everybody on earth would know about the Stargate system and would have some interaction with aliens. Aliens doing shopping on earth would be possible.

Maybe the series could be based on a discovery of a new stargate system within the Milky Way after the discovery of a new Stargate somewhere on earth. A Stargate system, thus worlds and planets, that were outside the Goa'uld reach. Or just a new set of gate address. Or simply no explanation. Nevertheless, earth would now find themselves at the center of a federation of "gates" planet with a complex political system. Mostly of advance races we never saw before. Some people would compare this series to Babylon 5. But obviously it would bear very little resemblance with it.

The federation would probably face a great (or some) enemy within the milky way. Between the war with this enemy (intelligence, preparation, negociation, etc). Our Stargate crew would visit new world in search of allies, weapons, commercial ventures, etc.

Some problem and investigations could happens on earth due to the interaction of aliens with earth people.

Stargate academy: The story of young Stargate cadets at the Stargate military college. Just kidding. (Its a startrek inside joke)

Stargate Crime Unit: People like crime drama. Why not make one about interplanetary crime agency with crimes happening on earth and in aliens planet? Tag the Stargate on it and you got yourself a winner!! Each crimes would be a way to mince yourself in some aliens culture. A briefing of the crime scene would involve a briefing of the aliens cultures and political/social situation. Many crimes would include biotechnology, mind reading, nanotechnology, robotics, polymorphism, etc, etc. Its a bit of a high concept.

Stargate Hammond:
              Put people on a Spaceship and make it explore the world and interact with known and unknown aliens race. Its the Star Trek formula, but it never gets old. You know, every 15 years people miss the good old Star Trek Next generation. Make it as a follow up to SG1, Atlantis and Universe. So it could happens now.

Its brainstorming, we're doing. Isn't it?
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Stargate academy: The story of young Stargate cadets at the Stargate military college. Just kidding. (Its a startrek inside joke)
                I was thinking Police Academy..?

Comment

Stargate: Origins A series Going back to when the Ancients was in the milkyway how they developed gate travel. And what was the whole thing behind the plague MAJOR story hole there was it the Ori who started the plague?. Or was it something natrual? or was it a mistake that an Ancient doctor made?

Loads of another questions and loose thrads could be clean up as well. If there was a series about the Ancients
                  System Lord Remus

Comment

Originally posted by System_Lord_Remus View Post
                    Stargate: Origins A series Going back to when the Ancients was in the milkyway
                    A prequel will never happen because being contemporary is so important to the nature of what made stargate what it is. I like diversity in story telling, and get annoyed with people who want every episode to be identical, but this is so fundamental to what made the show what it is today, that it would turn away existing fans and fail to attract new ones. This is why atlantis isn't as good as sg-1 - it's farther removed from the real world, it might as well have been any other sci-fi series.

Also, we have already learned far too much about the ancients. When stargate started, they were this mystic, distant race which we knew nothing about. Now we have met loads of them, and can work their technology almost as well as they can. And in order to make the ones we met more relatable, they had to have character flaws - which farther made them less than they should be. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

They have spoilt the mythical aurora enough, a prequel would destroy them completely.

Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post
                    Enterprise was great. a lot of people didn't like Archer.
                    I gave up on enterprise when they did the Borg storyline. That told me that they were out of ideas already and were running back to the Voyager crutch - If we can't think of something interesting, throw in the borg.

That was only the final straw - the main body of it was that they simply never made me care about the characters and the stories simply weren't good enough.

Originally posted by Dleifirrem View Post
                    Granted nobody really liked the Tokra in SG1
                    People only didn't like the tok'ra because jack told them not to. Apart from one or two storylines at the start, they actually proven themselves to be trustworthy allies (didn't always share all information, but never sold earth out) and individually, many of them were friendly and maintained good relationships with the SGC personnel. Jack's problem with them was more just a fundamental issue with their parasitical nature - he simply didn't trust they were honest about it being symbiotic. Because of the way jack continued to talk about them, the audience couldn't accept them - it's bizarre how people's opinions can be controlled by a fictional character's racist rantings.
                    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

You could have Stargate: Origins. Just put a bunch of todays people, military and civilians, put them in a Puddlejumper and have them go back. Something terrible happens and the time machine gets cooked and they are stuck in the past. Ancients haven't yet created the time machine yet of coarse and are just starting the Stargate...

Elminster

Comment

this is actually a really cool idea. Send ronan, Lorne and the hiccupping doctor. nice blend. find a way Back to the Future.

Comment

Stargate: Celestia.

a BC-304 travels through the supergate to help out tomin's people. the Priors have spread their knowledge and what we see are people who have become nicely advanced. not uber, but nicely. then, an unknown foe attacks, stranding us there.

Stargate: Pandora

a group of people is sent on an expedition which goes awefully wrong. having learned of the concept of the 9th chevron, a new adress is found, which can be dialled with a ZPM. Daniel believes the end of the aztec calender tells us the date at which it can be dialled: in 2012, the day people think the world will end. we dial that day, and the connection is successful.

having learned from earlier expeditions, sufficient food, generators and other supplies, aswell as people are brought over. suddenly, there is an immense powerspike, and before we know it, the "ship " they are on is immersed in light.

similar to the concept of a ZPM, the ship has been transferred to a micro universe. "micro" still means they are in a place the size of the known universe, but still, its a "micro" universe. the ship cant really be classed as a ship: it is like a spaceship, but designed as a space station. FTL-capable, shielded, armed and ready. it has all the supplies needed.

there is one problem: alien lifeforms have infested the ship, and it's up to the people on it, to clean the ship and survive the ship itself in the first place.

and the galactic community isnt really happy either

Comment

Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post
                            Star Trek was faced with this dilemma and they came up with Enterprise a prequel which was more character driven and had the same drama as Deep Space Nine I thought it was more deserving of 7 seasons than Voyager and even though the ratings went way up for season 4 and had the support of NASA and Stephen Hawking it fell victim to reality tv because the network wanted to get with the times. so I would say a series like Caprica in the Alteran Galaxy on the planet Celestis how they were divided into the Ori and Ancients, early conflicts, resistance, war, religion, how they met the other races, etc. that "well" could go along time before drying. I think the whole point of Universe is to get away from it all get back to exploring which is nice so if they were going to do another series it would probably be something like that.

- Christine
                            It's not "Stargate" if they don't have a Stargate in the show. A show about the divide between the Ori and Ancients predates the Stargate itself. It isn't until they leave that that scientist we see just came up with the idea. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it would work as a spinoff show. As a movie, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by System_Lord_Remus View Post
                              Stargate: Origins A series Going back to when the Ancients was in the milkyway how they developed gate travel. And what was the whole thing behind the plague MAJOR story hole there was it the Ori who started the plague?. Or was it something natrual? or was it a mistake that an Ancient doctor made?

Loads of another questions and loose thrads could be clean up as well. If there was a series about the Ancients
                              maybe Linea was really an Ancient... just un ascended....kept finding ways to become youthful again.

great ideas and I loved ST:ENT. it was a great show!

Comment

Working...
                              X