This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning of the end?

I'm new to this posting new threads,so bear with me...
    now that Ben Browder has been signed on for Season 9,do any of you think that this will start the demise of Stargate?
    I'm not a fan of his...
    I would much rather have the option of Stargate doing the movies to DVD and have Rick on our screens,than have no Rick at all!

I alwasy liked his portrayl of John Crichton in FARSCAPE, so I have no question whether he would be good or not. He then proved this again in TPKW. SO I think he would make a great addition to the SGU.

Also, I think they should bring back Jonas.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

YES! They should bring back Jonas!

I like BB, but even if I didn't like him I would have to say that just one person couldn't bring the demise of Stargate. I want to see exactly what his character is before I decide concretely on anything.
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

undefinedundefined

I didn't watch Farscape, so I don't know much about Ben Browder. Have only seen him a few times.

Shows are always adding feature characters, whether as regulars or semi-regulars. I don't have a problem with that. It creates new storylines and arcs. But to hire someone with the intent of replacement...while negotiations are still going on? And when "you" initiated the negotiations? Not ethical practice.

I understand that Rick may not come back to the show. But MGM did reopen negotiations, so they could at least give the man the curtesy of finishing negotiations before writing him off.

There was discussion of feature films...and (?) possibly even a mini series, I believe. Even with features, there can still be new characters added. It's done all the time. I would love to see Stargate on the big screen. I think, with the fanbase, it would do quite well. And this aspect would give MGM and SciFi huge revenue, plus all the revenue and residuals when it's released to DVD.

I would like to give Ben Browder and Claudia Black the benefit of the doubt...that they'll be a nice *addition* to the makeup of the cast. But from what I'm hearing, it's an attempt to make a last ditch effort to keep the show from folding should Rick not come back to the show. Too bad. With Rick...and even Amanda...in limited capacities with the show, it could work out it it were done right.

In any case, respect should have been shown to both leads of SG-1 after all these years. Yet is seems that they're being pushed over for profits.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaOK2003
          undefinedundefined

I didn't watch Farscape, so I don't know much about Ben Browder. Have only seen him a few times.

Shows are always adding feature characters, whether as regulars or semi-regulars. I don't have a problem with that. It creates new storylines and arcs. But to hire someone with the intent of replacement...while negotiations are still going on? And when "you" initiated the negotiations? Not ethical practice.

I understand that Rick may not come back to the show. But MGM did reopen negotiations, so they could at least give the man the curtesy of finishing negotiations before writing him off.

There was discussion of feature films...and (?) possibly even a mini series, I believe. Even with features, there can still be new characters added. It's done all the time. I would love to see Stargate on the big screen. I think, with the fanbase, it would do quite well. And this aspect would give MGM and SciFi huge revenue, plus all the revenue and residuals when it's released to DVD.

I would like to give Ben Browder and Claudia Black the benefit of the doubt...that they'll be a nice *addition* to the makeup of the cast. But from what I'm hearing, it's an attempt to make a last ditch effort to keep the show from folding should Rick not come back to the show. Too bad. With Rick...and even Amanda...in limited capacities with the show, it could work out it it were done right.

In any case, respect should have been shown to both leads of SG-1 after all these years. Yet is seems that they're being pushed over for profits.
          Bravo! I agree with your entire post. Thanks for sharing. I have been quite by myself on my opinions. It's nice to see someone else sharing some of the thought process.

Some shows can definitely do well with tons of casting changes (take a look at M*A*S*H for example). But for this show, it was based on the team of SG-1, with RDA being the leader of both the team and the show. When that team concept began to disappear, including both Hammonds promotion off the show, to Dr Frasier's *departure* last season, I think the show lost it's edge. Considering the fact that TPTB thought this show was going to be finished for the past three years, it surprises me that with the start of Atlantis, they feel the need to hang on to SG-1 for another season, possibly without two of it's main attracting actors. With RDA wanting to spend time with his daughter, I have thought that was the sign it was time to end the series. Wait until he has some free time, then do a mini series or feature film.

Just my opinions.

Comment

Thanks Kri for your support. Yes, by making so many changes at once, it changes the entire concept of the show, as well as the entire dynamic.

I do agree that with Rick's limited time on the show...and Amanda's, at least this coming season...there has to be some change. But those changes should enhance the show...not to change the entire formula and concept.

By the way...please excuse the various typos in the last post. That's what I get for having interruptions when I'm trying to type and not checking myself before submitting.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaOK2003
              undefinedundefined

But to hire someone with the intent of replacement...while negotiations are still going on? And when "you" initiated the negotiations? Not ethical practice.

I don't think anyone's writing RDA off. I think it's probably very likely that RDA himself has made it clear that if he returns at all it'll be in an even more limited capacity than season 8. And, I don't think BB is a replacement for RDA. He's not a new Jack (and, I'd cry foul if he was). He's a new cast member, and hopefully will not fill any role that RDA filled.

How are they being pushed over if both of them want to have the time off? It's not like RDA is being fired. It's not like they told AT to take a walk for 5 episodes. I think especially no one is doing anything to RDA.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Dani347...
                I am quite grown up,thank you.
                We all have an opinion as to whether or not the signing of new 'significant' actors is a good thing for Stargate.
                We have not 'dissed' the actors in any way.
                Suffice to say that things are not confirmed as to whether or not Rick will be returning....I for one respect his decision to stay at home.
                But,i don't like the way things are going....
                If he did return..in whatever aspect of things...his time 'could' be worked in,if it was planned well.

Comment

A start to the demise? That started with season 6.

Hell we were closer to the end in season 6 then we are now.
                  It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Change is inevitable. As much as we want RDA and TA to remain with SG-1, they won't stay forever. Remember that SG-1, in a year or so, will be running for 10 seasons (if they decide to extend beyond Season 9). For the original actors to remain with the series that long is pretty questionable. In fact the only actors to have stayed with SG-1 constantly (that is, seen through all 8 seasons, without leaving and returning later) throughout the entire series is Christopher Judge (Teal'c) and Amanda Tapping (Carter). As the series continues, actors will come and go. No one likes to see a favorite actor leave, but like i said, changes are inevitable. SG-1 will undergo some significant changes in the upcoming seasons. As disappointed as I am that RDA will not be staying full-time with SG-1, as well as AT's possible leaving (due to her child), I have no choice but to accept the fact that they are leaving. There is nothing that can really be done to stop them from leaving. (Other than boycotting Stargate, but that's something I will never do). We can only hope that the producers of the show do a good job with handling the changes and integrating new characters, as well as adapting the story to work those new characters in smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by scotsmiss4rda
                      Dani347...
                      I am quite grown up,thank you.

That wasn't directed to you. It's currently what all my posts are signed with.
                      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I liked it much better when a show ran until the original cast members wanted to move on and then it ended! I don't see the point of calling a show Stargate SG-1 when it has nothing in common with the original series. Even Season 8 is so far removed from the show's original premise that it could be a spinoff called Stargate SGC.

If the production team and some of the actors want to continue why not create a new spin off for them? SG-1 should have been wrapped up with a miniseries that gave the original cast the dignified send-off they deserved. Now I'm afraid that will never happen.

This money grab that led to a 9th season with a new star sounds just like The X-files.

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again!

Comment

Some people thought Daniel leaving heralded The End. Others said the same of his return. Still others said it of RDA's decreased presence over the last three years. Some of those people still think as they do, and they're entitled to their opinions. Personally I don't think BB's arrival or RDA's purported departure will hurt the show. We'll know this time next year, I think

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by TammyK
                            I liked it much better when a show ran until the original cast members wanted to move on and then it ended! I don't see the point of calling a show Stargate SG-1 when it has nothing in common with the original series. Even Season 8 is so far removed from the show's original premise that it could be a spinoff called Stargate SGC.

If the production team and some of the actors want to continue why not create a new spin off for them? SG-1 should have been wrapped up with a miniseries that gave the original cast the dignified send-off they deserved. Now I'm afraid that will never happen.

This money grab that led to a 9th season with a new star sounds just like The X-files.

Been there, done that, don't want to do it again!
                            Here here, i second that...

Stargate SG-1 is named after SG-1... so when you have the distinct possibility half the team (plus DSD and TR) are leaving/have left, why should the show go on, especially with Atlantis doing so well?

Season 7 could easily have ended SG1 nicely to move straight into the spinoff series. Why do they HAVE to continue flogging a show for every last penny at the expense of quality?

Comment

Working...
                            X