• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Air, Part 2' (102) General Discussion

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE UNIVERSE - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 102

Stranded on the Ancient vessel Destiny, the evacuees from Icarus Base discover that a worn-out life-support system and hull breaches will suffocate them in a matter of hours.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 22 January 2010, 09:08 AM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

While I very much enjoyed the episode I felt it lacked some things that are important to a pilot. First it really didn't wow me at all, nothing about it made me think this would attract new people to the franchise. Second I really don't like how they used tech with a back story, the ancient com devices and earth having interstellar ships, without at least some background on the tech.

Comment

First a reminder....next week when part 3 airs, please do NOT discuss it here. This is ONLY for discussion up to the point where the team goes through the gate to the first planet.

Now,

over all, i liked it. Good lines, good pacing, plenty of mysteries to tantalize

future pitfalls that i see:

overplaying the Eli 'young kid outshines everyone with his brilliance'
      overplaying rush's obsession. It IS a vital part of the show, but it'll have to be played back and forth to keep him 'on the fence' so to speak

How long will it be until someone gets left behind and they manage to steal a ship to get them a workable shuttle?

One nit that someone pointed out in the live air thread...when the ancients were on EArth, our PoO was IO not the /\ symbol. that symbol belonged to the second gate unearthed in giza, not earth's first gate, the antarctic gate

The senator's death was predictible, but by and large, it was good.

I LOL'd at Daniel's training videos and did enjoy that hte Lucian Alliance popped up. Better than those danged Ori or Replicators
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I loved the episode. The new film style make the show look more grown up. The characters have surprised me but i do think eli is is over acting just a tad but he can improve. I cant wait for next week

Comment

Omg those floating cameras were soo awesome..I want one

But Rush is just nuts...he may have good intentions, but he's just odd..

The whole episode was better than I expected
          WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
          Germany Chiefed Poland.
          England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
          England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
          France got Chiefed.
          Japan decided to scout America.
          America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
          America cut Japan to 90 pop.
          Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
          USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
          Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
          Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
          USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
          Hitler deleted his account...
          USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

I've avoided spoilers and speculation threads, so I could go into the series untainted by others perceptions and pre-conceived notions. Over all I enjoyed it, no complaints here. Looking forward to learning more about the ship and how the people react on it. I will say that it felt very different than SG-1 and Atlantis but not in a bad way, at least to me. I won't like it, if they go the way of voyager and have episodes of we have a way home but we'll have to kill, maim, lose morals, whatever.

Rush intrigues me but I could see his whole, I know best attitude wearing thin on me after a while. I thought Eli was pretty good, will have to see how his character develops over the next few episodes.

Comment

great ep. but they overdid the col./rush conflict. also if the air was on for "thousands of years" with the hole is the shuttle, why did the situation suddenly become critical when they arived? the air should have been either long gone or they should have had more time. and again how did the attack cause the planet to explode? if the weapons fire was enough to set off the core how did it not go off when they dug the hole to put the base in?

yes i know i'm over analizing it but isn't that what this whole forum site is for?
              And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

the air issue became critical when you had 80+ people breathing it, consuming it faster than the scrubbers could handle (and yes, i can't disagree that it shouldhave ran out long ago)
                then again, who knows when the damage happened. it's possible that the damaged shuttles, etc, just happened last week when the ship jumped into a meteor shower or something
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I liked the second half. It was well-paced, suspenseful. The first half was just meh and I suspect a large part of that was the fact that they jumped around through the order of events so much.

Just when something would get exciting, they'd go back or skip to a commercial It just cut all the tension that had been building up out of the scene. Not to mention that we've already seen who's made it through the gate so there's absolutely no suspense as to whether or not someone didn't make it in the flashbacks.

Like the collapse at Icarus Base when the Senator was left behind. We knew he got through the gate therefore somehow all those people were saved.

Actors are good so far. Believable. No one's really bad yet and I'm pleasantly surprised by Elyse Levesque (Chloe). No one else really got anything too meaty, but so far I'm loving the complexity Carlyle imbues into his character in a single look or vocal inflection.

Not bad. I'm sorry I can't say I loved it, but it's certainly enough to keep me watching.

One more quibble however...

Writers, I appreciate that so far all the really important people to the plot are men, but would it kill you to maybe give the ladies a little more to do? I mean besides make Wray seem like an ineffectual harpy?
                  sigpic

Comment

I, like some other people, have tried to aviod most spoilers and wanted to surprise myself. I loved the episode, it was better than I could have ever imnagined. The scenes of the Destiny and the FTL travel look amazing, and the situation they're in is realy and understandable. I think I'm going to like this series!

I'll admit, though, Rush kinda scares me. But that may be what they're trying to acomplish. I kinda like him, even though he's downright freaky at times, his character just intruges me.

There's only one part I didn't like. And that was the scene that...wasn't exactly PG. Was that really nesessary?

All in all, though, great epidoe, I'm definetly going to keep watching! I yelled "Noooooo" and almost threw something at the TV when the epidoe ended!

Comment

so yeaa wat were your empression? i liked it honestly although i hope they dont do the falshbacks as much..
                      sigpic

Comment

I looked for a bit, and was surprised I couldn't find it. Well what did people think? What did you like, what did you hate?

Spoiler
                        Spoiler:
                        I personally found myself crying when chloes dad died.
                        thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

I don't see anything I like, yet, but it's hard to say. Nothing jumped out at me and said 'interesting'.

Stuff I hate-
                          1.The secrets. You can already see Dr. Rush(aka Dr. Smith from Lost in Space) is up to something. And looks like everyone on the show has some shady past that is sure to get dug up at some point. And you just know there is a Lucian Alliance spy on board right?
                          2.The young feel. Where are all the intelligent older people?
                          3.No action? Go to secret base, base blows up and lost in space? That's it?

Comment

<Snipped by Moderator."Fixing" other's posts is not allowed.>

They are going to have to do some flashbacks in this first season to set up the many characters, so get very used to it.
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 03 October 2009, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Interesting premise, nice look to the sets and lighting, but I'm not a fan of shakycam and hope it stops.

I didn't like it as much as some other folks but that was because I really couldn't identify with the characters, who seemed to be wallowing in self-pity and selfishness.

The Good Characters:

Dr. Rush - but Carlyle makes everything he does interesting. His acting ability puts some of the others to shame and makes them probably look worse than they are, but I'm intrigued by him.

Scott - not sure if that is his first or last name, with all the bantering with only, "Lt!", or "Sargeant!". It would have helped to add names more often, as when this show ended, I only remembered a few names. This guy was cute, has potential - not quite a Col. Sheppard (potential maybe), but I glazed over a bit when he started comforting crybaby senator's daughter. As my 17 year old son put it. . ."I'd take her out - right to the airlock."

The BAD Characters:

Eli - Sorry, but he is nothing more than a fat Wesley Crusher who will irritate and turn off fans just like Wesley did. Luckily for Star Trek fans, Wesley got the ole heave-ho in time to save the show.

Chloe - I thought SGA's Dr. Keller was the worst whiny-butt crybaby I'd ever seen on TV, but this gal tops her. Some may like her, but she was obviously hired to cry and mope and look all pouty like Summer Glau (who I happen to like).

Col. Everett - Absolutely detestable. Couldn't stand any scene he was in, not one, and I was SO hoping he would die from his injuries. Leaving the inexperienced Scott in charge would have been more fun. I really can't take his negativity and robotic acting for very long. Kill him off, soon!

The Doc/Medic - whatever her name was. What was with that gawd-awful HAIR???

The Others? Didn't see much. The Asian gal was a witch, some of the others, well, they really weren't defined at all.

The Really BAD - it didn't bother me personally, but the sex scene in the beginning was rather jarring for a Stargate show, especially since Stargate has a reputation as a FAMILY show. It could/should have been removed. It wasn't needed and felt out of place.

Poor Lou Diamond Phillips - all that hype, for what? Did he even have any lines????

The communicating/body transferring stones were overused in SG1 and SGA. Please have them get sucked out a broken window!

Overall, it gets a C+, and I'm hoping they can tweak this more and get some of the negativity out. Even BSG characters weren't this nasty to each other. Seeing the old SG1 folks made me realize just how much I missed them, and how fun they were, and how "unfun" this new bunch is.

I'll give it another week or two, but the characters need to lighten up, quit bellyaching, and start working together to survive.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X