• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belle Chose (203)

DOLLHOUSE - SEASON TWO
    BELLE CHOSE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 203

Michael Hogan guest stars as a client of the Dollhouse who comes to Adelle for help with a psychotic family member. Topher accidentally crosses Echo and Victor's imprints while there are on different assignments. (FOX)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 December 2013, 11:09 PM.

LOVED this ep! But then, Victor is my favorite doll and he really got to show off a bit last night.

The scene where Topher notices the "bad brain" stuff and goes to Adelle with it was hilarious. Boyd was SO right when he said something to the effect of, "You know it's bad if Topher has ethical issues with it." LOL

Another BSG alum makes an appearance and I could sort of buy him being stupid/arrogant enough to pull a fast one and sneak Victor-Terry out of the Dollhouse, but shouldn't Security have caught that? Not that Security seems to be very good, BOYD, when dolls can walk out on their own with no one the wiser. It just seems that with everything that has been going on SOMEONE should have twigged to a guy trying to take Victor out without his handler. Still, it's a relatively minor niggle.

I thought Enver did a great job portraying Terry. It isn't always about doing things over-the-top, ELIZA, sometimes a little subtlety goes a long way. I thought he managed to make Victor-Terry creepy without telegraphing "deranged sociopath" to the entire world. Seeing him on the street you'd be more inclined to think "dork" than "killer." Or I would, anyway. Maybe I lack essential survival skills.

I have another niggle with the whole "remote wipe" thing. I'm not sure the logic of it really pans out and the personality swap was a bit much. It doesn't seem possible that it could be that easy. Wiping the slate clean is one thing, but writing a whole 'nother imprint into the space? Mmm... Not as easy to believe. Plus, while I get the need to have Echo be another focus of the ep I'd kinda like to know why, of all the Actives on assignment, the swap happened between Victor and Echo. Or do we just dismiss it as a crazy random happenstance? Pfft.

As niggling as that issue is, though, I have to admit that seeing Victor as Kiki was probably the highlight of the entire ep. OMG, that was a deliciously evil amount of fun. Terry may have been subtle, but thanks to Eliza (or maybe it really was part of the imprint) Kiki was absolutely over-the-top. And watching Victor boogy like the teenage girl he thought he was? PRICELESS! *wipes away tear* SO MUCH LOVE for him. And he punches the bat turd who tried to hit him. HAAA!

Victor-Kiki: Oh, Paul, why did you ever leave me? *HUGGLES*
    Ballard (glaring at homophobes): You got a problem??

[I actually had to go back and watch that scene again to get the words right and realized I missed some bits from laughing too hard, like how Victor did the punching- missed that before and it makes the scene even more awesome]

Echo as Terry-Echo wasn't as much fun. I'd love to know how they're gonna try and explain Terry's amazingly fast sex change to the survivors.

No new ep next week (baseball) but after that we get another non-Echocentric ep, which'll be nice. And if I'm reading correctly, the numbers were up for this week's ep, right? I wonder if that'll hold true for the next ep, too.

Comment

Much better episode this time. It had a good mix of funny, serious, and seriously creepy. Less Echo-centric is always good.
      Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      The scene where Topher notices the "bad brain" stuff and goes to Adelle with it was hilarious. Boyd was SO right when he said something to the effect of, "You know it's bad if Topher has ethical issues with it." LOL
      Good old Topher. Oddly, I think he's my favorite character at this point. It's probably because he's the comic relief. He had some very good lines in this episode.

"Frankly, an overly smart brain.....it's my brain." Subtle, he ain't.

"And that'd be where you find stored such things as empathy, compassion, an aversion to disemboweling puppies."

Another BSG alum makes an appearance and I could sort of buy him being stupid/arrogant enough to pull a fast one and sneak Victor-Terry out of the Dollhouse, but shouldn't Security have caught that? Not that Security seems to be very good, BOYD, when dolls can walk out on their own with no one the wiser. It just seems that with everything that has been going on SOMEONE should have twigged to a guy trying to take Victor out without his handler. Still, it's a relatively minor niggle.
      There seems to be a major security breach in the garage. Or maybe it's just a car sized plot hole. Whiskey just got in a car and left. Echo, without driving skills, just got in a car and left. Now Victor and someone who was not his handler, get in a car and leave. Although, I'm thinking that Boyd let Whiskey get by security, seeing as he just blew off her being missing.

As niggling as that issue is, though, I have to admit that seeing Victor as Kiki was probably the highlight of the entire ep. OMG, that was a deliciously evil amount of fun. Terry may have been subtle, but thanks to Eliza (or maybe it really was part of the imprint) Kiki was absolutely over-the-top. And watching Victor boogy like the teenage girl he thought he was? PRICELESS! *wipes away tear* SO MUCH LOVE for him. And he punches the bat turd who tried to hit him. HAAA!
      Quite possibly the best part of the episode, with the exception of some of Topher's quips in the beginning. Eliza was funny as Kiki, but Enver as Kiki was HILARIOUS. The cuts between the two different plot lines were seamless. Definitely an interesting way to switch back and forth.

Comment

The club scene was amazing!

Victor gaying it up + Little Boots' Remedy playing + Ballard's "you got a problem"

And I almost forgot about Michael Hogan!

Comment

Well that was a hell of a lot better than the last few episodes.

-thank god, finally something not Echo-centric
          - serial killer story was interesting
          - Ballard working his FBI skills was great
          - Michael Hogan was a nice guest
          - Boyd chilling in the back of the van was hilarious
          - Victor getting the Kiki personality (and hugging Ballard) was a howl
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I didn't really like or hate the episode. The best part was the whole remote wipe thing
            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Well that was a hell of a lot better than the last few episodes.

-thank god, finally something not Echo-centric
              - serial killer story was interesting
              - Ballard working his FBI skills was great
              - Michael Hogan was a nice guest
              - Boyd chilling in the back of the van was hilarious
              - Victor getting the Kiki personality (and hugging Ballard) was a howl
              I nearly wet myself laughing at the Kiki gaying it up in the club scenes

Much better episode than recent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                I nearly wet myself laughing at the Kiki gaying it up in the club scenes

Much better episode than recent stuff.
                lol I liked how you heard the punch, and then they come back and that dude is laid out on the floor.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Victor and his show was the best!!!
                  Also nice scenes with Paul and Echo xD is getting hot!
                  sigpic
                  sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Originally posted by Achaja View Post
                    Victor and his show was the best!!!
                    Also nice scenes with Paul and Echo xD is getting hot!
                    I'm betting there'll be a sudden upswing in Victor/Ballard fics, myself. LOL!

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode! The Victor-Kiki stuff in the club has to be one if the funniest scenes on Dollhouse ever!

Comment

Finally got to sit down and watch the episode- very creepifying! This is a lesson on making sure all your wires are plugged in where they are supposed to be before you try some experimental wipe.

While I don't understand the objections about the show being too Echo-centric (I think it's like saying Buffy was too Buffy centric, but I digress), I imagine giving Victor the A plot has made the people happy. He's a fantastic character actor. Echo's B plot showing the pervy nature of humanity was entertaining in it's own, "Eww, God, this guy is teaching my kids" kind of way. The switch was priceless.

I would imagine they could find Whiskey/Dr. Saunders if they really wanted to, though. Would she not have a tracking device? Or perhaps what's why they made her so agoraphobic, so they could take it out so she would think she's a real girl.

It seems lots of little things keep slipping through the cracks at the Dollhouse- no tracking device in Victor, letting the Uncle walk off with Victor. I think it's a symptom of having too few people supervising the daily activities of the house. I understand wanting to keep it to a bare minimum of personnel being a secret organization and all, but I think they're reaching a critical mass of trying too many new things that leave them exposed to such "accidents."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                          While I don't understand the objections about the show being too Echo-centric (I think it's like saying Buffy was too Buffy centric, but I digress), I imagine giving Victor the A plot has made the people happy.
                          You do have a point about the centric nature of the show, but then again it's called Dollhouse not Echo the Dollhouse Slayer. When a character's name is in the title of the show it's obvious that it's HER show whereas a name like Dollhouse implies a more generic focus... which is more or less belied by the fact that it may as well be called Echo's Dollhouse or whatever because title character or not, she IS the main focus. But that doesn't mean we have to like it.

I enjoy Dollhouse, more or less, but I enjoy it in spite of Echo rather than because of her so when there are episodes that let the other characters shine I'm much more inclined to like those over the ones where she's the focus.

As for "making the people happy." well, yes, I did love the episode but I also recognize that it's only an episode. I'm happy for the moment, but as soon as the focus shifts back to Echo I'm gonna feel frustrated again.

Sure, maybe it's a bit like watching Buffy when you hate Buffy, but sometimes that's the way it happens. I never really got into BTVS, but if I had it would have been more for Xander and Willow. Or Oz, if he'd stuck around. I'm a sucker for werewolves.

Anyway, when this all washes out I hope Enver (and Dichen and Miracle) find shows that will really let them showcase their talents to the fullest extent. That I would love to see!

Comment

I can't believe I have forgotten to post here.

It was nice that there were less Echo and it was even better to have no Sierra at all in the episode. Joss just kill that character. She ruins everything (look at last weeks episode) instead we got lots and lots of Victor and he was excellent. I am not sure what I liked better - serial killer(!) Victor or Victor being a nice little disco queen shaking his tush to "Little Boots" . He makes one hell of a cute little queer.^_^ I also loved the humour and that Ballard could show of his FBI skills. Last but not least it was nice to have after Jamie Bamber, the second BSG guest star in only three episodes. Hello Michael Hogan. I am all for Tricia Helfer or James Callis as the next guest star. Or how about Grace Park? I think it is too much to as for Eddie or Mary. I would also not mind Katee Sackhoff as a doll either- just get some more guys from BSG Joss. That would be cool =)
                            He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                            He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                            And he's wonderful.

Comment

I have no objections to the character Echo, it's the actress. This episode showed how the actor who plays Victor was believable as Terry AND Ki Ki. Echo as Terry wasn't so believable to me. It more seemed like Echo as a serial killer than Terry the serial killer.

With shows like Buffy and Angel both actress and actor were great in their roles. So when there were shows more centered around them it was fine to me. With Dollhouse I seem to enjoy shows that allow the other actors and actresses more time because they shine.

I did believe Echo in Instinct as a mother being one myself but the actress does seem to have a limited range. This is the reason why Echo isn't working so well for me. This character has to be like Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap or some shows wouldn't work. I know the actress who plays Echo has a big stake in the show itself but she sometimes brings the show down.

I loved Victor as Ki Ki on the dance floor and Paul!
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X