Good God, Y'All (502)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good God, Y'All (502)

IS THIS THE END? — Castiel (Misha Collins) tells Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) that he is going to search for God, who will be able to defeat Lucifer. Bobby’s (Jim Beaver) old hunter friend, Rufus (guest star Steven Williams), is panicked about demons attacking his town, and begs Bobby for help. Sam and Dean arrive at the town and realize there is a spell over the townspeople, making them hallucinate that they are demons and causing them to kill one another.

Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Sera Gamble

Can't wait can't wait can't wait....5 hours 5 minutes to go....

Comment

Wow. That was AWESOME. Really did not see the twist coming with it being War and all being a hallucination. I thought they'd be saving the Four Horsemen for later this season. Guess not... LOL Which is really great! I mean, it shows that they're not holding anything back. The apocalypse is here and it is ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch42 View Post
        Wow. That was AWESOME. Really did not see the twist coming with it being War and all being a hallucination. I thought they'd be saving the Four Horsemen for later this season. Guess not... LOL Which is really great! I mean, it shows that they're not holding anything back. The apocalypse is here and it is ON.
        Definitely an amazing episode. One among many with this show. Having it be War behind the situation in the town was really a great twist, and I didn't see it coming either. I think they will probably have the other 3 Horsemen pop up here and there throughout the season, leading up to the finale or something like that.

The end was kind of sad, but at least that explains Castiel having
        Spoiler:
        a bigger role to play with Dean in the future.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The ending had my jaw dropping. Didn't expect that. In Kripke I trust though.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
            The ending had my jaw dropping. Didn't expect that. In Kripke I trust though.
            As do I. Completely! This is all part of his master plan.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

That was a great episode!

I wondered what the deal was when Sam killed those two dudes in the grocery store and they didn't use any sound/visual effects for the demon knife. lol. I thought maybe they were trying to save money since they had songs **Yay!!** for the recap (Foreigner's Long, Long Way From Home) and then when they were walking into town (Spirit in the Sky). Nice twist to the episode. Didn't see that coming. Course the hint was in the episode title....lyrics from the Edwin Starr song "War". The guy playing War was a good casting choice as he played the part well.

And yes I probably jumped the gun last week when some doubt crept in and I questioned the writers about drying out Sam last week as an easy way to move on...because I mean it was the all powerful God doing the deed, but this is the first time I'm watching the show live (so I have no idea what's going to happen next which I love and hate at the same time ) and well I've been burned by other shows brushing things aside so I have a hard time trusting a show 100%. So this episode was awesome in showing how Sam is going to struggle with that temptation.

Oh man the ending. But I figured they would go there and split them up, and I think that is only natural that this would happen after what went down last season.

My only quibble with it was Cas needing Dean's necklace because it's a "God detector". I'll go with the flow, but I'm still kinda iffy on the use of God in the show as a means to an ends and just how far will they go in using Him. Liked how Dean was reluctant to give it up though.

Dean having himself x-rayed.
              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 17 September 2009, 08:54 PM.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

while this was an absoltuley awesome epsiode for sure....i had one probelm......joe and even ellen to extent were underused imo.i feel so bad for bobby though...kudos for jim beaver being awesome.and cant wait to see where they go with the brothers splitting up.

Comment

Another awesome episode! Great! Despite the obvious, here some comments from my side:

- I'd loved to see the face of the dictor after he saw the Deans X-Ray
                  - Didn't Bobby gibe the amulet to Sammy in the first place? So where did Bobby get this one from?
                  - Castiel!
                  - Walking through the city to "Spirit in the Sky". Awesome
                  - "War" knew how to get people fighting. I didn't get how the people knew about Demons at all and how you could recognize them. Did War tell them?
                  - Nice car!
                  - Nice to see Ellen, Joe and Rufus agin. I hope this wasn't the last time for the season.
                  - Mount Doom!
                  - The last scene left me with no words. Is it already next week?
                  - I am pretty sure that I know where that last scene was filmed
                  The cake is a lie!

Comment

Great episode, not as intense as the previous but still great. War turning the humans against each other was a nice twist. I'm curious if the other horsemen will be making an appearance, Death was referred to in the previous season. I agree that the ending was sad, poor Sam is still not cured if his addiction. I liked that Sam and Dean weren't working well together, it would be very unrealistic if they did. I'm hoping Dean wil team up with Castiel, i always like how they interact.
                    sigpic

Comment

Definately a good episode. There seemed to be alot of stuff crammed into such a short segment though. Still seeing Ellen and Jo again was awesome if only for a short time. I'm sure they'll come back into it later along with Rufus. War was cool as well. Can't wait to see his return. Chances are we'll see each horseman individually right up until they all meet up at the end. Course they still seem to be leading Sam towards being a leader for Hells side which will be very cool. Just need to have him meeting up with Lucifer.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Wow! I tell ya what...Wow! That was....wow! Ok, I was excited for last night because it was Supernatural, so of course I'm excited, but from the spoilers I had read (from before I decided to STOP looking at spoilers this year! ), I wasn't expecting this episode to be as awesome as it was. I believe I like this even more than last week's ep! Not to take anything away from Sympathy for the Devil, but because it was a season premiere, it did have certain premiere issues that it had to deal with. Namely, premiere episodes often feel rushed because they have to wrap up a summer's worth of expectation AND jumpstart a new season.

Good God, Y'All, however was (for me) just a spectacular Supernatural episode. It was well-paced, looked like it still was given a decent budget (many times, not the case with the eps that directly follow budget-busting premieres), great guests, and wonderful family drama for Sam and Dean. In fact, the only thing it was missing a bit, was some more humour.

Ok, what I loved:
                        -I liked that Cas had to use the cell phone to find them. I didn't think of it at the time, but yeah, if the sigil hides them from all angels, Castiel shouldn't be an exception. Way to follow through with the details! And btw, YIKES! to that sigil on the x-ray. That probably hurt a little more than the boys were letting on last week!

-I almost fell off the treadmill when Castiel looked at Dean for the amulet! One of my fan dreams came true! They explained the meaning of the amulet!! I would have been fine had they not, but still always hoped it had some really cool meaning. And I love how attached Dean is to it, how quickly and loudly he said "No!" Word of warning on the "God storyline", though Eric, Sera, Ben, Jeremy, et al: step carefully. That's all I'm saying for now.

-Hmmm, not a favourite: Bitter Bobby. It wasn't TOO bad this time, but I still don't want us dwelling too long on it. I know it is a perfectly normal human reaction, but I don't like to see Bobby like that. At least he snapped out of it quickly when Rufus called.

-Coming into town. This is where I was impressed with the money spent. The effect of the bridge was cool. I am assuming they didn't really destroy a bridge, but it sure looked real. Although, being from Minneapolis, seeing Dean driving on the bridge really freaked me out for a minute (Google '35W Bridge Collapse'). But also, all the cars and debris in town when they walked through was great. Bonus for the cleverness of using Spirit in the Sky.

-ELLEN!!!!!!! I was never on the "Kill Jo" train, but I am kind of indifferent to her, but ELLEN?!!! I LOVE ELLEN!!!! And I loved her scenes here. I liked her throwing water on Dean, I liked her hug, but mostly, I loved her slapping Dean and telling him off for not phoning him to say he was alive (with an added glare at Sam for not doing so either). "You better put me on speed dial, kid." And Dean's reaction is even better, a very sincere and humble "Yes, M'am". Ellen is a wonderful mother-figure for the boys. Like a female version of Bobby, and the boys really need these authority figures in their lives.

-I didn't think they would TOTALLY drop the Sam on demon blood storyline, but I was pleased with how well this episode handled it. I didn't want another de-tox ep, but I did want it addressed. I didn't think they would give it the HUGE ramifications they did, however! (more on this later). So I was very happy.

-The exchange betwen Dean and the ex-military guy was good.
                        "Takes one to know one. Where'd you serve?"
                        "Hell."
                        "No, seriously."
                        "Seriously. Hell."

-Sam and Dean's quick talk about how Sam wished he could have gotten rid of the demons without killing them. This is a short scene, but like one of you brought up in the last ep, it illustrates how good the writers are about not making it easy to choose one brother over the other. Sam DID have the best of intentions when starting out with the demon blood. His reasons were sound, but the method wasn't and that's what trapped him. Because as War points out later, it may have started like that, but now it is an excuse Sam uses because he eventually just fell in love with the powerful feeling it gave him.

-Another great Ellen moment is when she asks Dean what to do. Dean's answer is typical and very true: he usually asks Bobby or Sam. Dean has very low self-esteem in many areas, and one of them is his book knowledge. We know as viewers he can't be as incompetant as he comes off at times, because he was hunting by himself before he got Sam at Stanford. But most of the time when Dean DOES come up with some academic knowledge, Sam gives him a look like "You read?" So here, Ellen again steps in as a strict but supportive mother figure to tell him he is smart, too, and can figure this out.

-Oh, and WHOA! Talk about some personal growth, though: Dean NOT tearing off to go after Sam! You can see he wants to very badly, so it's not that he doesn't care about Sam. But DEAN actually realises that he needs to slow down and think this through first. Good on him for learning that lesson, it's a hard one!

-Ellen's line "My daughter may be an idiot, but she's not stupid. She wears an anti-possession charm" was good. Coming on the heels of Bobby being possessed, I was wondering what had made all the hunters suddenly forget basic precautions (my first thought when I saw someone as paranoid as Rufus 'possessed').

-Like the bad guy explanation of the 4 horsemen. And I enjoyed watching the actor who played "War". His talk with Sam is great because it makes Sam face the truth, right out in the open. No lying behind noble excuses. Ouch!

-Totally irrelevent to the story, but I have always liked the black eyes on any show and we got to see them so much here (again, would think budget alone would have stopped them from using that so often).

-Rufus and the pipe bombs. Careful, mister. You're getting dangerously close to Gordon Walker territory. But it was smart of Dean to use Rufus' extensive hunting knowledge to convince him with words instead of simply beating him up.

-Whew! Thought for a second there, they were going to kill Ellen. I wouldn't have forgiven Eric for that one!

-Sam and Dean working together and the "take that!" amputation. Hee hee. When the boys work together, they are just too cool!

-I would have liked a 'wrapping up' scene with Ellen, Jo, and Rufus, but instead we get: The awesomeness that is the last scene!!

-Holy C***! What an incredible moment for the two of these guys. Everything about it emphasizes the weight of this conversation. The amazing background. The way Sam starts, Dean tries to deflect again, BUT when Sam says this is important, Dean instantly shuts up and really listens to Sam for the first time in months.

-Sam's speech is the speech of true remorse and full understanding of what his addiction has cost himself and those around him. By not trusting himself, my admitting that he simply misses the feeling of being powerful, it shows that he finally gets it.

-Again, I can be slow. So while a couple people have said they figured they would have to split apart, at least temporarily, I did not see that coming at ALL. It totally blindsided me! My jaw dropped to the floor.

-And Dean's response? The hurt in his face when you realise he is going to let Sam go is just heart-breaking. As I've said before, Dean's whole world is his family. To let Sam go must have hurt him to no end.

-And again, I do NOT see his letting Sam go as a sign that Dean is punishing Sam. When Sam says "I'm sorry" Dean, just like in the last episode tells him, "I know you are.", but there is such a different feeling behind the words now. The apology is sincere and so is Dean's understanding. In fact, the whole conversation is so much more moving this time because none of what was said, was said in anger or in the midst of an argument. But as horrible as it is, there is the glimmer of better things. You know Dean is at least on his way to forgiving Sam when he says...

-"Hey. Do you, uh...want to take the Impala?" I seriuosly startled the dog here when I gasped so loudly!! What an incredible peace offering.

-And just because I am such a girl, when they tack on the final shots of Sam telling Dean to be careful, Dean saying the same back, unable to look at Sam while he says it, but calling him "Sammy", Dean staring so intently at Sam as he walks away, Sam running his hands along the length of the Impala...ugh, I'll admit, I was sniffling (and not just from this cold I have! )

Fantastic episode again, guys. Next week seems forever away.

Comment

On the CW, Vampire Diaries was down from its premiere last week 24% to a 1.6 rating for adults 18-49 (from a 2.1), and 26% to a 1.7 rating for adults 18-34 (from a 2.3). That’s quite a drop in blood pressure. Supernatural fell 14% to a 1.2 rating for adults 18-49 (from a 1.4), and 13% to a 1.3 rating for adults 18-34 (from a 1.5).
                          http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/18...ommunity/27540

Comment

What can I saw - awesome episode! I swear, Kripke and his writers must be psychic. It's like they hearing our comments before the season even starts. Just think of it:
                            Wanting to know what was the deal with Dean's amulet? - Check.
                            Wanting more classic rock? - Check.
                            Wanting to see Sam deal with his addiction? - Check.
                            Wanting to know who put the boys on that plane? - Check

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                            Another awesome episode! Great! Despite the obvious, here some comments from my side:

- I'd loved to see the face of the dictor after he saw the Deans X-Ray
                            - Didn't Bobby gibe the amulet to Sammy in the first place? So where did Bobby get this one from?
                            - Castiel!
                            - Walking through the city to "Spirit in the Sky". Awesome

<snipped for space>
                            Good point. Bobby would be too smart to pass on a talisman without knowing what it actually does. My guess is it was some kind of protection charm, and the God EMF is just a side effect. Also, if I remember correctly, it was meant for John, and Dean only got it because his Dad missed Christmas.

I can't believe there are not more people tuned into a show as great as this one.

Chrichiel, I won't quote your post here due to its length, but I must say I really enjoyed reading it. And I agree with you 100% on everything. Actually, thanks for saving me all the typing. I just wanna add one little thing to the 'Dean underestimating himself' paragraph.

-Another great Ellen moment is when she asks Dean what to do. Dean's answer is typical and very true: he usually asks Bobby or Sam. Dean has very low self-esteem in many areas, and one of them is his book knowledge. We know as viewers he can't be as incompetant as he comes off at times, because he was hunting by himself before he got Sam at Stanford. But most of the time when Dean DOES come up with some academic knowledge, Sam gives him a look like "You read?" So here, Ellen again steps in as a strict but supportive mother figure to tell him he is smart, too, and can figure this out.
                            The same thing happened again with Rufus. When Dean convinced him that it was War, and that he was hallucinating, he said something like "You figure that out on your own, genius?" and Dean doesn't reply. I don't get it, why does he like it when other people think he doesn't have a brain?

sigpic
                            Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

I'm seeing that alot of people here already knew the amulet was significant. So what episode before this has dealt with it cos I don't remember? Granted there are a couple I haven't seen from season 4. So if someone could tell me where so I can either catch up or recap it'd be helpful.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X