spoiler-filled preview of Farscape #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoiler-filled preview of Farscape #1

IO9 has put up a preview of Farscape #1, the first issue of the ongoing monthly series, set to be published in November. It's all three covers, the title page, and the first 11 pages -- but BE WARNED, THERE BE SPOILERS HERE! Several reveals from Gone and Back (the current miniseries) are given away in this preview.

If you don't mind the spoilers, check it out!
    Keith R.A. DeCandido
    [email protected]
    www.decandido.net
    decandido.wordpress.com
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

Wow, an ongoing monthly series? That is really great. Count this fan in.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm in too, but I won't look past the covers on that link until G&B is done

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
        I'm in too, but I won't look past the covers on that link until G&B is done
        I couldn't resist. I should be ashamed, but I'm not.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

It looks like they almost managed to get an artist who troubled himself enough to notice what the characters actually looked like this time... almost.

Comment

Honestly, I am not that picky about the artwork. I believe they do the best they can. What I am mainly around for is the continuing story of Farscape.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              Honestly, I am not that picky about the artwork. I believe they do the best they can. What I am mainly around for is the continuing story of Farscape.
              I just wish they'd do some kind of a story I could actually get interested in. Thus far they've all fallen pretty flat for me.

I want to know more about the aftermath of the Scarran PK War, the Nebari, what ever happened to certain memorable guest characters, who fathered Grayza's baby and her backstory in general, that sort of stuff.

It seems like they're holding the really interesting good stuff back in the hopes of getting a TV show or movie again.

Comment

So far, I have thought they have been pretty good. I liked seeing Rygel re-take his throne, and the virus one wasn't bad at all, IMO. Gone and Back has potential to be the best so far though.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post

It seems like they're holding the really interesting good stuff back in the hopes of getting a TV show or movie again.
                  I've thought about that, but for me it seems like they are making some strides that are almost too big if this is really canon and they want to do webisodes/episodes. They'll have a lot of 'splaning to do to get people caught up (as I'm sure 95% of people into Farscape don't care about the comics).

As for the artwork, it bothered me more at first, especially Tommy's, but as I suspected, I think it's more just a "comic art" issue for me. I'm used to it now, Tommy has the better artwork IMO, but the other guys do a much better job of getting the characters to look right. Episode 2 of D'argos Trial is probably my favorite so far, as far as the look.

The cover's have mostly been top notch. I actually just picked up this alternate cover to hang up, I just think it's fantastic:

KRAD, not that it matters, but you can put my vote down as not liking the way they added the blue FARSCAPE to the black and white variant covers lately. Also, random comic book question, but why in the world do they put the UPC on the front of the book? What a waste of some great art.

Comment

That is a great cover.

I've just got to where I could pretty much ignore the art on the inside.

Didn't look at the preview pages as I have yet to read Gone and Back...which of course isn't finished yet.

Did the first series that came out at the end of last year have an official name? Cuz this one in called Farscape #1 and I thought that was what that series was called.

So I take it that this will be a longer series rather than the pretty much self-contained 4 issue series we are currently getting?
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
                      I've thought about that, but for me it seems like they are making some strides that are almost too big if this is really canon and they want to do webisodes/episodes. They'll have a lot of 'splaning to do to get people caught up (as I'm sure 95% of people into Farscape don't care about the comics).
                      Well I certainly fall within said 95%, but it's pretty much because I don't see anything interesting coming out of them, like I said.

As for the artwork, it bothered me more at first, especially Tommy's, but as I suspected, I think it's more just a "comic art" issue for me. I'm used to it now, Tommy has the better artwork IMO, but the other guys do a much better job of getting the characters to look right. Episode 2 of D'argos Trial is probably my favorite so far, as far as the look.
                      That cover is nice yes, it actually looks like D'argo. I'd by lying though if I said that some of the other pages I'd seen when these first started didn't contribute to turning away my interest. I remember looking at them and all I could think was "so this is what it's come to then..."

It's hard seeing your favorite series reduced to a bunch of shoddily drawn comic books while crap with less than half the creative merit coasts happily on into 5th, 6th and 10th seasons all around you.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                        So I take it that this will be a longer series rather than the pretty much self-contained 4 issue series we are currently getting?
                        Much longer. Apparently, Farscape will now be a regular, monthly release from BOOM. That sure makes this fan happy.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                        X